Military Brides

Pets!

Do you have any pets? Is so, tell us about them! Post pictures if you can!
imageBabyFruit Ticker

Re: Pets!

• kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Hank the labchow. He lives with FI's grandparents because of FI's and my housing situation (when he came off recruiting, they took his single BAH and put him in base housing where he can't have pets, and he had no choice in the matter). When we get married and have freedom to do as we choose with dependent rate BAH, the first chance we have to go get him, we will!
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

This is the first night we brought him home when he was a little guy

Stan- He is so cute. You'll be getting him back at the end of summer right?

H and I have a 1.5 year old Shepherd/Great Dane/Who knows mix. He is sweet, stubborn and has tons of energry!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    edited December 2011
    Unfortunately no. FI has training followed immediately by deployment soon after the wedding, and I have a full time job along with my MC application. One of us has to drive and get him (in GA, we're in CA), so while it'll be the first chance we get, it won't be as soon as we'd like. We have chosen a large dog friendly apartment, and will be buying all the crate training materials, etc. We registered for some of it!

I love your doggle's ears!
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • edited December 2011
    Ahh Stan, I'm sorry. I was really scared we would have to leave Missy in Minnesota until we found pet friendly housing. We lucked out and got on a waiting list!!

Missy is a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel... she is 18 months old and full grown at 13lbs. She is pretty quirky and kinda special. She barks at her shadow, plays with herself (barks and runs circles around her toys), she snores, kids are her favorite and she loves to cuddle. If she wants to play she will bring her toy and literally put it in your hand.

She also sleeps a lot.

Waiting to play fetch

She doesn't like to share my lap with my computer. :)

• edited December 2011
    oh yay!!! cute pets guys :)

so we have two. Sara and Dresden.
    Sara is a mix - opinions welcome. She is part hound we think catahulla and something. If she is an australian cattle dog she doesn't have any of their characteristics. FI and I have both has aussie shepherd and cattles and she is all hound in attitude, but we love her. :) She is adorable follows us around the house with her fav toy when the Fi depolys or its time to move afraid she's going to get left. She also refuses to fetch. I've been working on it but she only does it when she knows she is in trouble. if she does something bad she will go find the one tennis ball in the house fetch it like 5 times  - throw it again and she looks at you like your nuts and walks off. FI found her when he moved to GA. He was driving around and she ran under the car when he stopped. I'f i can find a pic I'll post it but she looked like a burrito with a huge head (he wrapped her up). It was poring rain and she was under a month old. He moved off base to keep her since they said they would put her down in a week if no one claimed her. RIght now she's at doggy vacation in Cali with his family, but in a month I get her I'm sooo happy :D. We joke all the time now about having joint custody and such because the FI cant keep her if I'm not with him because he constantly deploys, so we are excited for him to move so he will be able to spend more time with her again since we will be so close. We hate not having her with us but his family has been so great about keeping her even though shes a pain and tried to get at the cattle.

Dresden is our other pet. He was an odd ball - we got him last november.

yes he is a hedgehog :) I used to work at an aquarium and a zoo along with their extended facilities and so I was very accustomed to having odd things in my house,  lots of exotic fish and sea creatures. I also used to take care of these little guys for a few months. Out of everything I used to take care of this seemed to most logical and safe for us to get. It was the Fi's idea we love him but they are still getting used to each other and Sara thinks its a new toy, but we love them both.
  • Sammy0709Sammy0709 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have a German shepherd whose sister belongs to the in-laws. Pic to come as I am on my phone ATM. Irish, DH had a hedgehog in Iraq. He has pics. I think that's why he wants weird pets all the time. He really wants a sugar glider. He's not allowed since I know if we both had to be gone for a long period of time FIL would gladly dog sit. I don't know anyone that would sugar glider sit.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    yeah they are great vey fun (sugar gliders) the reason we decided on a hedge though is that they litter train themselves and dont smell - not enough hair :) Sugar gliders can get kinda smelly, btu they are amazing. Vets will watch them and you woudl be surprised I had a friend watch our hedgehog for a week when we went on a trip. they were a little weired by it at first, but once i made the food for them and they saw how cool he was they were all about it. So i'm sure a sugar glider woudlg et a similar reaction.

That is why Fi picked that I think their unit had one for a little while and they thought it was so cool he sent me a pic and i said I missed them and he was liek you knwo how to take care of it can we have one!?!? haha.
  • iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_pets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:24caa54e-cd1b-4e1c-98eb-c2b5cb7a8ddaPost:3cabce7c-0a32-4db5-8350-5563f687e70d">Re: Pets!</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is the first night we brought him home when he was a little guy Stan- He is so cute. You'll be getting him back at the end of summer right? H and I have a 1.5 year old Shepherd/Great Dane/Who knows mix. He is sweet, stubborn and has tons of energry!
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]
    He is adorable.  He looks more like a Belgian Malinois than and GSD/GD mix.  Mals are one of my favorite breeds.  They are full of energy and love to please. 
    Right now, we have a boxer/pittie mix that we are fostering.  She's a beautiful brindle. 
    <a href="http://coastalpetrescue.org/adopt/view/2011-d-042-ella/">http://coastalpetrescue.org/adopt/view/2011-d-042-ella/</a>
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_pets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:24caa54e-cd1b-4e1c-98eb-c2b5cb7a8ddaPost:7e1e384e-d43f-4a16-821d-71cb20b4d2e7">Re: Pets!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pets! : He is adorable.  He looks more like a Belgian Malinois than and GSD/GD mix.  Mals are one of my favorite breeds.  They are full of energy and love to please.  Right now, we have a boxer/pittie mix that we are fostering.  She's a beautiful brindle.  <a href="http://coastalpetrescue.org/adopt/view/2011-d-042-ella/" rel='nofollow'>http://coastalpetrescue.org/adopt/view/2011-d-042-ella/</a>
    Posted by iluvmytxrgr[/QUOTE]

OH MY GOD! I Love love love her! If we lived in GA, I'd try to adopt her!

We adopted Geno and they said Shepherd. We take him to a doggy day care once a week and they think he is a Belgian Malinois. That's funny you say that! The only thing is, he doesn't have the long hair like the pictures I've seen of Malinois online. He does have their temperament though: stubborn, SMART, and has tons of energy.

I wish you guys could see how smart he is. He can open the screen door!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have a kitty named minnie paws. She's about a year old. We adopted her from a friend for free. 
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_pets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:24caa54e-cd1b-4e1c-98eb-c2b5cb7a8ddaPost:dbeff615-51b1-427c-a80a-dd374e62cb8b">Re: Pets!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pets! : OH MY GOD! I Love love love her! If we lived in GA, I'd try to adopt her! We adopted Geno and they said Shepherd. We take him to a doggy day care once a week and they think he is a Belgian Malinois. That's funny you say that! The only thing is, he doesn't have the long hair like the pictures I've seen of Malinois online. He does have their temperament though: stubborn, SMART, and has tons of energy. I wish you guys could see how smart he is. He can open the screen door!

Most Mals I've worked with had fairly short hair.  Some are a little fluffier under their necks and along their tail.  The one J is working with right now has very short hair like a lab.  I don't have any pics I can post, but he looks like this guy with a head shaped more like your pup.
    <a href="http://www.fordogtrainers.co.uk/images/large/belgian-malinois-K9-nylon-dog-harness_LRG.jpg">http://www.fordogtrainers.co.uk/images/large/belgian-malinois-K9-nylon-dog-harness_LRG.jpg</a>
  • edited December 2011
    I loooove the hedgehog, prettyirishgirl!! Super cute.

I know someone who kept a flying squirrel as a pet in the dorms at the Academy... those little guys were adorable and would climb to the top of the desks and leap/fly down from there. So cute.

These are my 2 fur kids. Leo (left) is a brown/black tabby Siberian and Columbus (R) is a blue/silver tabby Siberian. They are 90% hypoallergenic according to some studies (taken with a grain of salt...), which is why I chose them. FI is mildly allergic to cats and did not want indoor cats. I knew we'd move a lot in the military, so I started thinking about the possibility of hypoallergenic cats, and stumbled across these little dudes. They rock. And they sleep on FI's pillow at night... he has no symptoms with them!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011

Max and Theo... the Craft Cats. They are always around to help me while I'm painting.

A close up of Theo, he is totally my baby boy!! H's allergic to cats, but Theo's coming with me when we PCS, He can take a zyrtec and get over it!

This is Charlie, he's my Mom's Persian. We call him the grumpy old man, because he just lays in bed all day and when you pick him up he grumbles.

Maximus the wiggle worm!!

Plus.. we can't forget the Chickens!!

Photobucket
  • Sammy0709Sammy0709 member
    edited December 2011
    As promised pics of the dog...

Our boy, Happy...

And this is my dog that lives with my mom because he is older so we didn't think he would take a cross country move too well...and my mom would be devastated if I took him...

edited December 2011
    I loved seeing all of you pets! Thanks for sharing. It makes me wanna get another pup.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    So I'm at my parents house and my fiance's and my cats are here so we have a total of 6 right now :D Yes I get called crazy cat lady and I love it :D
    Here they are:

Helen

Louise

May:

Kovu:

My fiance's and my cats:

Ollie (he's 12):

and our newest addition Sammy. She's 11 weeks. She is a very playful little kitten. She bites pretty much everything from my eyelashes to my diamond. She keeps us entertained to say the least. She is so playful and Ollie is so mellow lol
    Here she is with a pair of my sandals. It has straps and zips up in the back and they have beads, chains, you name it. She had a blast with them
  • edited December 2011
    Aww, Zimsgirl... love the kitties! I love black cats, it's cool that you have two:) I think they are good luck!

Your kitten is adorable. When I first got engaged, my gray one tried to chomp on my diamond. He has mostly stopped, but still does it to my mom, maybe because hers is bigger... Maybe he is a secret jewelry appraiser, haha
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_pets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:24caa54e-cd1b-4e1c-98eb-c2b5cb7a8ddaPost:013c71e1-5327-4dd9-8ba0-98e4c5ae2ec1">Re: Pets!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Aww, Zimsgirl... love the kitties! I love black cats, it's cool that you have two:) I think they are good luck! Your kitten is adorable. When I first got engaged, my gray one tried to chomp on my diamond. He has mostly stopped, but still does it to my mom, maybe because hers is bigger... Maybe he is a secret jewelry appraiser, haha
    Posted by LOLways[/QUOTE]
    Bahaha yeah she is a very hyper and chews on everything. We're a crazy cat family lol
  • divinemsbeedivinemsbee member
    edited December 2011
    And, I'm back, kind of. The only pic I have of our cat right now is my profile pic, that is Huck Finn under the Christmas tree. We're hoping to adopt a dog as soon as we get settled in FL. I miss my Mom's Cavalier Sassy soooo much, yours is so cute Shan!
  • edited December 2011
    Just saw this post...  Everybody has ADORABLE pets and
    @ Irish the hedge hog is awesome!!

but here is Yuki my Siberian Husky, pretty much the sweetest dog ever

And this is Kiba.  He is an Alaskan Husky/Wolf mix... he's pretty sweet too! 

They both have a TON of personality!!!
  • TaeLynneTaeLynne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is our Malamute Waldo-everytime someone says where's Waldo, FI cracks up, he thinks hes so funny ;)
    He definitely has quite the personality!
    And he has kept me sane through this deployment!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_pets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:24caa54e-cd1b-4e1c-98eb-c2b5cb7a8ddaPost:94578be8-38b9-4d46-bdcc-daa01e5f860d">Re: Pets!</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is our Malamute Waldo-everytime someone says where's Waldo, FI cracks up, he thinks hes so funny ;) He definitely has quite the personality! And he has kept me sane through this deployment!
    Posted by TaeLynne[/QUOTE]

He has Geno's face even though they are different colors! How old is Waldo?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • TaeLynneTaeLynne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_pets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:24caa54e-cd1b-4e1c-98eb-c2b5cb7a8ddaPost:721ebede-ad39-4e5b-8652-0c66d5251138">Re: Pets!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pets! : He has Geno's face even though they are different colors! How old is Waldo?

He's a little over a year. He's still got a lot of growing/filling out to do, hes still a little guy. Part of me thinks theres a little husky in him but I can't prove it lol
    I absolutely love your dog, what a cutie!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards