Military Brides

Complex invitation address

I have googled and read every relevant passage in my etiquette book and can NOT find how to properly address this invitation. Help!
It is to my aunt, who is a Lieutenant (O-3) in the Navy, we'll call her Lieutenant Jane Doe. She is married to John Doe, a retired Navy Senior Chief Petty Officer (E-8). (No worries about fraternization for those who would care, she was enlisted also when they married!) It is not a military wedding, but more than half of the guest list is military in some way, and it is a very formal wedding.
Any ideas?

Re: Complex invitation address

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

If it's not a military wedding, you do not need to address them by rank.  Do they go by rank in their everyday lives?  If not, I would just address it as Mr & Mrs. John Doe.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I mailed all my stuff so far to "The Sergeants Smith" for the couple that's married with the same last name. "SSgt Jane Smith and SSgt John Doe" for the married couple with different last names, "Captain and Mrs. Whatever".

While my wedding is a military wedding, I probably would have done so anyway. I look at rank like any other title (doctor, etc.), if I know it, I'll use it, since it took hard work. Also, I'm a motard, so there's that. I would address it to Lieutenant Aunt's name and Senior Chief Petty Officer Uncle's name.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards