Military Brides

Officially engaged :)

Well, I was posting on here a bit before I was ever actually engaged and it is now official. I got the ring on Wednesday night, which apparently he's had ever since he got home on post deployment leave and I kept 'messing up' every time he tried to give it to me, LOL.

I'm so excited and so happy; I honestly don't feel very 'different' because I always knew, ring or not, that I was going to marry him some day but it's definitely fun to start thinking about all of the planning, etc.

Just thought I'd let you all know! :)

Here's a picture of the GORGEOUS ring, :)

-Katy
Visit Cincinnati.Weddings.com

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Love of mine, won't you lay by my side and rest your weary eyes before we're out of time. Give me one last kiss, for soon, such distance will stretch between our lips." - City and Colour

Re: Officially engaged :)

• kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awww, congrats!  Very happy for you!

Anniversary

• BunsCheer03BunsCheer03 member
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!!!!!!!
  • KatyBug513KatyBug513 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all!

I have a question for those that have already planned or are planning I guess, he gets leaves in July's and December's and as I'm sure most of you know, even that isn't a for sure. He's stationed in Italy so I asked him last night how I would secure a venue if I wasn't sure when his leave dates would be and he told me first off, that it was stupid you had to book a year out, lol, and second off, that he wouldn't know probably until 6 months before July of 2012 and maybe not even then.

My question to you all, what do I do? Have a few different options and explain to them my situation, see if they have a military clause, etc? I mean, I guess I'm not going to be able to really plan a year ahead for much of it since most people are going to want dates and I don't have any, lol. 
    -Katy

"Love of mine, won't you lay by my side and rest your weary eyes before we're out of time. Give me one last kiss, for soon, such distance will stretch between our lips." - City and Colour
  • kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    We're kind of in a similar situation as you. FI is stationed in Japan and goes on deployments for at least half the year, and their schedule changed a few times this past year. We still went ahead and booked a venue anyway, even though his leave wasn't approved until 4 months before the wedding. We booked because the venue that we wanted was so popular and it gets booked up to 2 years in advance. If you do book, just make sure that they have a military clause in there(ours did, and the fee for changing the date due to military reasons was waived also). You can also look into insurance, but we didn't bother with it. Good Luck with everything! 
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto Kara811!
    What I'm doing is asking all of the vendors I meet with (venues, caterers, florists, photography, EVERYTHING) if they're willing to add a military clause to their contract. I just explain that FI is in the militery and ask that if the date had to be changed (for military related reasons) they'd be willing to change it with no charge or without us losing our deposit. And if they're not willing, then I just use another vendor who is. So far I really haven't had any problems and everybody has been really willing to try to help. Most have already worked with military brides who did this, so don't be shy! There is also wedding insurance if you're really worried about it (but that's an expense that I really don't have room for in my budget.)

On an unrelated note: I see you're from Cinci! Have a great time shopping in the bridal district there! It's really great! Oh, and CONGRATS! :)
    Our baby! image Sadie
    Anniversary
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awesome, that makes me feel a lot better about planning and being able to secure a venue without having to wait until so close to the wedding. I was definitely going to ask all the people I contacted about venues, flowers, DJ's, photographers, etc. about a military clause and I figured that people would be quite helpful with it, if not, then I wouldn't want to use them anyway and would find someone else.

I'm going to Wendy's Bridal Show next weekend with my Mom and best friend here in Cincy and I can't wait, I didn't think I'd be this excited of a bride but here I am already planning and searching and going to bridal shows, hahaha.

Thank you ladies so so much!
    -Katy

• edited December 2011
    Congrats!! Random question.. Is your ring James Allen? I can't tell but I'm pretty sure we have the same ring.. if not, very similar & very very pretty!! Congrats again!!
    Photobucket
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, it's a Tacori, :)
    -Katy

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards