Military Brides

Vow Renewal

Hi all,
My hubby and I are hoping to renew our vows next year, but we're not sure if we should have a big wedding or something small. We're looking at hosting the ceremony in either Lousisiana or Colorado, that way all our family has to travel. However, we're both worried that no one will show up and we're worried about the cost, as we don't want to spend too much money on everything.

UGH. has anyone renewed their vows? I'd really like any advice you can give.

I want dh to wear his dress blues, but b/c we don't know "where" the ceremony will be we're not sure if it'll be a good idea or if he'll still be in the army by then.

Re: Vow Renewal

• edited December 2011
    We are planning a VR for next December, all depending on DH job with his gets to permanent duty station.

We are planning in our homestate, so no one has to travel. We are having a VR so people can celebrate with us, we don't want them to travel. It will be somewhat small about 80 people.

Start planning a VR like you'd plan a regular wedding. You have to narrow down budget, dates, location, guest list, etc. just like a wedding. You might want to wait until you know more details on what your situation will be.
  • LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_vow-renewal-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:322d59a2-bf2d-4bdf-9784-2077ac7e6d1bPost:c45543f1-d77b-44e0-8507-c8761c3130d7">Vow Renewal</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi all, My hubby and I are hoping to renew our vows next year, but we're not sure if we should have a big wedding or something small. We're looking at hosting the ceremony in either Lousisiana or Colorado, that way all our family has to travel. However, we're both worried that no one will show up and we're worried about the cost, as we don't want to spend too much money on everything. UGH. has anyone renewed their vows? I'd really like any advice you can give. I want dh to wear his dress blues, but b/c we don't know "where" the ceremony will be we're not sure if it'll be a good idea or if he'll still be in the army by then.
    Posted by Armywifey04[/QUOTE]

Well the decision of what you want to have is up to you. For us, when we got married, it was at the JOP just the two of us. We're having what people on the boards consider a vow renewal, but what to our families and friends is a religious wedding (we come from a background where it's common to do this). So, we approached it just like our wedding. We never exchanged vows and rings (jsut the minimum required under the law), so we're doing all that. I'm wearing a wedding gown, well, bc I want to. We're having a wedding party. We are planning it all within 3 months (started two weeks ago, wedding in Nov.) because it's just easier for us since we don't know what will happen. Truthfully it hasn't been that hard, so I kind of wish we'd just waited and planned like this in the first place, but oh well.

You need to decide a budget, and then invite people based on the budget. Everything depends on that-- location, guest list. etc. Weddings/VRs are big parties, and that costs money. Just see what you're comfortable spending, and stick to it. Once you have a budget, it will be much, much easier.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • bnfitz07bnfitz07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing a vow renewal in May. I grew up in Ohio and his family is from Maine and we're stationed in Oklahoma so we evaluated whose family would be most willing and able to travel (mine) and decided on having our wedding in Maine. However, we thought we were being nice in this decision, but I'm starting to realize that his family is not quite grasping WHY the wedding is so close to them and they don't seem appreciative.

Basically, I suggest you make your choice based on your own preferences and not those of others (unless of course FILs or your parents are paying). i will tell you that hosting a wedding somewhere far from where you are now and where your families are is going to cost you more money (if nothing else than for travel).

You also have to be mindful of people on your guest list who may not be able to afford to travel (bridesmaids for example are already buying a dress and a "destination" wedding will add travel and hotel and possibly rental car to the expenses)

Again, choose based on your own preferences. Just don't be surprised if your get some unexpected declines on your RSVPs. I've run into this already and had my feelings hurt a couple times before I came to this realization.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards