Military Brides
Options

Planning a Army Bachlorette Party!

Hi Everyone -
 I'm planning a Army themed bachlorette party and was looking for some clever sayings to put on our shirts for the bar. I was wondering if you had any cute ideas? Some of the ones I've come up with are ( Bride's Name) last stand. (Bride's name) Platoon, any other suggestions??

Re: Planning a Army Bachlorette Party!

• Options
    iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Why are you doing an Army theme?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ashley_MateaAshley_Matea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why are you questioning her? I think it's a cute idea. Could be b/c she is marrying into the Army & wants to wear camo & stuff. Or she is in the Army herself. Either could work. I knew a girl who married a cop & she wore "cop" attire & so did everyone else. Maybe you could do his (or your) rank & then your future last name? And everyone else could wear the "last stand" thing you were talking about. That could be cute!
  • Options
    kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    edited December 2011
    Please don't put ranks on anything that you decide to do.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_planning-army-bachlorette-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:34c8aa47-23af-49d1-824f-6cbbe6dd905ePost:5074d763-9763-476a-a1ed-2a5095d66e21">Re: Planning a Army Bachlorette Party!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why are you questioning her? I think it's a cute idea. Could be b/c she is marrying into the Army & wants to wear camo & stuff. Or she is in the Army herself. Either could work. I knew a girl who married a cop & she wore "cop" attire & so did everyone else. Maybe you could do his (or your) rank & then your future last name? And everyone else could wear the "last stand" thing you were talking about. That could be cute!
    Posted by Ashley_Matea[/QUOTE]

I'm questioning her because, while people who aren't in the Army or have only been around it for a while may think the idea is cute, those of us who are in the Army usually don't. 
    One of the girls in my unit is getting married.  Her friends just threw her a surprise bach party with an Army theme and it bombed.  They had shirts made saying "SPC ___ is getting married."  They made shirts that said stuff like, "SPC ___'s Maid of Honor."  She made all of the girls take their shirts off and refused to wear hers.  She ditched the cammo veil and pretty much every thing else Army related.  She couldn't really do anything about the Hummer limmo they rented.  The BM's got all butt hurt because they thought it was a cute idea.  She thought her friends would have known her well enough to know that being a Soldier takes up enough of our lives.  We don't want everything else in our lives to be Army themed, too. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not to mention the idea that you female service members have to fight the notion of being 'cutesy' just because you're females all the time. 

I have the seemingly minority opinion that things like ACU/BDU/MARPAT pattern bags, and t-shirts, etc. worn by spouses make things harder on the female service member in general, in that the perception of females who wear those things as uniforms is skewed, because it becomes associated with such frippery. I would be frustrated by the phenomenon if I were in the military.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I am.  Nothing erks me more to see a wife carrying an ACU purse with her H's rank on it.  That's his rank, not yours.  Oh, wait, something does erk me more: Wives who think that because their H has rank, so do they. 
  • Options
    janderly21janderly21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I decided to go with an army theme because her fiance was in the Army. It was a huge part of their relationship. I also talked to the fiance and he said that she would enjoy it. 
  • Options
    Ashley_MateaAshley_Matea member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Right, I think to each their own. If you are not wanting to partake in it, then so be it. It shouldn't be forced on you; I agree. But there is nothing wrong for being proud of what they do. I can't comment on being a service member myself, but I mean, I think as long as the wives/spouses don't walk around like THEY carry the rank, it's ok. It is the same thing as wearing your husband's shield (cop); the wife isn't on the policeforce, but she is proud of her husband who is. I don't think (some) women who do it, do it to intentionally insult others or to be annoying...SOME lol..others, they do. And since her own FI is ok with it & he is in the service, that's all that counts, is his support on it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good thing I didn't have a bachelorette party.  I would have been stuck with t-shirts that said, "Soon to (still) be Miss B."  Sads.
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_planning-army-bachlorette-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:34c8aa47-23af-49d1-824f-6cbbe6dd905ePost:6fae99b0-4ed3-4598-981b-1583247ff166">Re: Planning a Army Bachlorette Party!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Planning a Army Bachlorette Party! : I'm questioning her because, while people who aren't in the Army or have only been around it for a while may think the idea is cute, those of us who are in the Army usually don't.  One of the girls in my unit is getting married.  Her friends just threw her a surprise bach party with an Army theme and it bombed.  They had shirts made saying "SPC ___ is getting married."  They made shirts that said stuff like, "SPC ___'s Maid of Honor."  She made all of the girls take their shirts off and refused to wear hers.  She ditched the cammo veil and pretty much every thing else Army related.  She couldn't really do anything about the Hummer limmo they rented.  The BM's got all butt hurt because they thought it was a cute idea.  She thought her friends would have known her well enough to know that being a Soldier takes up enough of our lives.  We don't want everything else in our lives to be Army themed, too. 
    Posted by iluvmytxrgr[/QUOTE]

YOU NAILED IT ... who wants to be reminded of their JOB while at a PARTY??? If you worked at McDonalds would you have a Hamburgler and Rondald McDonald theme for your party????? NOPE....
    BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    gemini87gemini87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow!  Hope you got more help than what was here.  I think it is a cute idea if it was a big part of the relationship and the hubby thinks it is cute.  I am a future AF wife, and although I am super proud of my man, having a AF party is not me but he knows that.  If you and the hubby think it is cute and she will like it, then do it.  You know her better than any of us ever could.  I am not having any cute ideas pop into my mind right now, but good luck!
  • Options
    tigger9922tigger9922 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_planning-army-bachlorette-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:34c8aa47-23af-49d1-824f-6cbbe6dd905ePost:6fae99b0-4ed3-4598-981b-1583247ff166">Re: Planning a Army Bachlorette Party!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Planning a Army Bachlorette Party! : I'm questioning her because, while people who aren't in the Army or have only been around it for a while may think the idea is cute, those of us who are in the Army usually don't.  One of the girls in my unit is getting married.  Her friends just threw her a surprise bach party with an Army theme and it bombed.  They had shirts made saying "SPC ___ is getting married."  They made shirts that said stuff like, "SPC ___'s Maid of Honor."  She made all of the girls take their shirts off and refused to wear hers.  She ditched the cammo veil and pretty much every thing else Army related.  She couldn't really do anything about the Hummer limmo they rented.  The BM's got all butt hurt because they thought it was a cute idea.  She thought her friends would have known her well enough to know that being a Soldier takes up enough of our lives.  We don't want everything else in our lives to be Army themed, too. 
    Posted by iluvmytxrgr[/QUOTE]

Wow, I totally see what you mean about using ranks, but honestly, if anyone acted like that big of a brat over something that someone else took the time and trouble to do for them, I would think they were overreacting....BIG time.  B-parties are not a requirement and its really nice when someone goes to the trouble of planning and paying for it.  For the bride to be to be so unappreciative, whether she liked the theme or not, is disrespectful and rude IMO. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_planning-army-bachlorette-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:34c8aa47-23af-49d1-824f-6cbbe6dd905ePost:c01f1e0f-c349-4095-864c-b6784f6b5c5c">Re: Planning a Army Bachlorette Party!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Planning a Army Bachlorette Party! : Wow, I totally see what you mean about using ranks, but honestly, if anyone acted like that big of a brat over something that someone else took the time and trouble to do for them, I would think they were overreacting....BIG time.  B-parties are not a requirement and its really nice when someone goes to the trouble of planning and paying for it.  For the bride to be to be so unappreciative, whether she liked the theme or not, is disrespectful and rude IMO. 
    Posted by tigger9922[/QUOTE]
    First, it's called PERSEC (personal security).  Second, most of us don't like to draw attention to ourselves and the fact that we are Soldiers.  Third, her friends should have known her well enough to know that she didn't want that kind of attention for ther bach. party.  It was about her getting married and having a night out with her friends. Not about her being a Soldier.  You go spend a year of a half of your life overseas wearing the same uniform everyday of your life and see if you want to have the same crap all over your bach. party and wedding two months later.  I think not. 
    We work, live, fight and DIE in these uniforms.  They aren't cute patterns for purses.  They aren't jammies for your friends.  They aren't cute themes for parties.  Personally, I think it is disrespectful and rude to use them as such. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_planning-army-bachlorette-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:34c8aa47-23af-49d1-824f-6cbbe6dd905ePost:26c058d3-f169-4fc4-9bb7-d716148fc8da">Re: Planning a Army Bachlorette Party!</a>:
    [QUOTE] We work, live, fight and DIE in these uniforms.  They aren't cute patterns for purses.  They aren't jammies for your friends.  They aren't cute themes for parties.  Personally, I think it is disrespectful and rude to use them as such. 
    Posted by iluvmytxrgr[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>ITA, except I don't wear the uniform, and I'd add that not only do I think it's disrespectful to make them cutesie, but it's an AW move too, and an AW move for something that isn't even their service.

</div>
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    MegDun2003MegDun2003 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok, here are my thoughts. I am an active duty Air Force woman. I am marrying another AF member and there will be no mention of the AF anywhere in the wedding plans. Not because we are not pround of what we do and each but because that is work. There is a huge difference between being in the military and being married into the military. I hate it when I see bumber stickers that say AF wife, I love my AIrman, I don't know why but it erks me. It is almost like they are using the uniform as a status symbol. And nothing makes me more angry than when military wives wear their husband unifrom peices. PT shits, BDU/ABU hats, jackets. Seriously, stop using your spouse as a fashion assecory. But for your bachlorette party I would clear it with your spouse to ensure that they are supportive and not going to be embarrassed. And personally I think that it makes the wives look trashy not cute.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In this particular circumstance, it sounds like the MOH did the correct thing by checking it by the FI (the service member).  He's the one who should be given the respect, and as long as he won't find it insulting (and it's done in a tasteful manner - absolutely no ranks!) then I think it's fine.

I can totally see why the bride was upset, and I personally find it also offensive how women use their husband's job as something of personal pride.  You are not the service member, you do not get to wear camo, and the rank is most certainly not yours.

In our case, my boyfriend has mixed feelings about wearing his uniform when we get married.  On the one hand, he's incredibly proud of being a Marine - his father was a Marine in Vietnam, his grandfather was in the Navy in World War I.  However, we try to always maintain the viewpoint that this is his job.  A very honorable, demanding job, but still a job.  We've joked that if he wears his uniform, I'll bring my Blackberry to the alter, because they're both symbols of what we do for a living. 

I think it's important to view your significant other as more than just a soldier - it's going to be a huge part of your life anyway, why bring the military into the one day that's just about the couple?

EDIT:  To answer your question, OP, I think "Sarah's Platoon" would be a fine way to handle it.  It will indicate military without using ranks or last names or anything that could violate military policy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    asher0990asher0990 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am an army wife. I had a camo bachelorette party. I wasn't doing it to be disrespectful or anything. I wear my husbands dog tags. I am not using him as an accessory, i wear them because he has been in Afganistan for 2 years and i haven't seen him yet and it makes me feel like he is with me. if a wife marrying into the army wants to do this it feel it is her choice. it may be because she is PROUD of what her husband does. i don't understand why everyone is so upset about this. its a party, not a life or death situation. if you don't like it, then you don't have to do it, that simple. i didn't do sayings or anything i just had bride on the front and on the back it had a huge ring. my girls had what they were in the wedding. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A) this is a year old post

B) dog tags are for body identification

C) being proud of your husband is great, I'm super proud of FI. Even PROUD.

D) having your identity so wrapped up in your H's job that you have a camo bachelorette party = depressing.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards