Military Brides
Options

Sword Ceremony...who is allowed?

Hello Military Brides!!! I am a newly engaged military bride, my fiance and I have been together for just over a year so I don't know a lot of Army protocol just yet. I would really love to have a sword ceremony but don't know if there are certain stipulations that have to be followed. My fiance is currently a Sgt. in the Army Reserves (possibly Staff Sgt. by the time of the wedding), he is a veteran, and will be wearing his dress uniform. My questions are....are we "allowed" to have a sword ceremony, and if so, who do I contact about it? Thank you for taking the time to read this, and helping out a VERY overwhelmed bride!   Laughing

Re: Sword Ceremony...who is allowed?

• Options
    AggieGirl2009AggieGirl2009 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!  Congratulations on your engagement.  Don't be overwhelmed!  There is plenty of time for that later.

You can absolutely have a saber arch ceremony (just FYI, it is a saber arch in the Army, it is a sword arch in the MC... maybe Navy too?  IDK)

For questions about how it should be conducted, call the Protocol office of the nearest Army post.  It doesn't matter that your DF is a Reservist, they will still be able to help you.  All you need is a few service members and a few sabers!  If your friends do not have any sabers, you can contact a local ROTC detachment or an honor guard.  Many would be able to help you out.

Since my DH and I were both cadets at a senior military college (very active cadet corps), we are going to ask some firstclassmen cadets who are very close to us to do our saber arch at our church wedding, and we will donate some money to their unit as a way to say thank you.  We will also invite them to the wedding, of course. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

The Army has almost NO rules on the wearing of swords/sabers, the only thing that I found was that officers wear sabers, and enlisted members wear swords.  I have no idea if it's an NCO thing [which, if he makes E-6, he would be] or it's an everyone thing, but the Marines and the Navy say only officers and NCO's may carry sabers.  Good luck with your arch of steel!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_sword-ceremonywho-allowed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:3f530bf9-c34a-4b49-814b-676bc97ff32dPost:c2d808e8-3ed8-466a-862a-be7dd7633821">Re: Sword Ceremony...who is allowed?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The Army has almost NO rules on the wearing of swords/sabers, the only thing that I found was that officers wear sabers, and enlisted members wear swords.  I have no idea if it's an NCO thing [which, if he makes E-6, he would be] or it's an everyone thing, but the Marines and the Navy say only officers and NCO's may carry sabers.  Good luck with your arch of steel!
    Posted by sweetlilpsycho[/QUOTE]

ps ... as an E-5 he IS already an NCO
    BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you SOOOOOOOOO much for all of the information ladies!

AGGIEGIRL2009...thank you for the clarificaion over saber's and sword's!!! I would feel like such and idiot asking for the wrong thing!! haha

I do want to ask my fiance if he wants to have one first...afterall he is the one in the Army, not me. If he doesn't want it, then I am not going ot push it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards