Military Brides

What's a positive?

So seeing as the majority of the ladies here have to deal with separation from their FI I thought I'd ask...

What have you decided to see as positive about the distance?

Here are a few of mine:
  • Don't have to shave my legs
  • Communication is in tip top shape
  • He's not distracting me from college studies
  • I appreciate him more than I think I could if he'd always been here
imageGraphics In a world of crazy we need as many hugs as we can get.

Re: What's a positive?

• meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I do good things I wouldn't otherwise. One of my favourite things to do is go to drop-in ballet classes. I danced for a long time and I still love it. I almost never do it when FI's around because it means I miss dinner and a fair part of the evening. When he's not around, I go a couple of nights a week.

Also, it gives me a chance to learn things I probably wouldn't otherwise. Like what to do with that giant spider in the shower or how to take care of the tree limb that fell down in the back yard. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • hh581842hh581842 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, basically the same. When he's not around, I can do whatever I want without worrying about missing time with him.  I want to stay up till 3am?  fine! I want to go the gym at 10 at night? sure! lol.  I want to hang out with my girls more? perfect.  By "do anything" i of course don't mean go get wasted and make out with random guys or anything like that!! But I can choose to spend my time any way I want to without having to think about what my guy is doing or whether i should spend that time with him instead, i just go do it.  really, it's like being single, except that this time around, you're celibate hahaha.
  • edited December 2011
    Its true, while I do miss my FI like crazy its kind of nice to be able to do what ever, when ever. My last semester of college is hectic so Its good that I can focus on studying and not feel guilty for ignoring him. He is in pilot training so its kind of the same for him, he has to study all the time too. And I totally apprciate him more too, and communication is awesome :)
  • DanielleB80DanielleB80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Future.Mrs.Carter: "Don't have to shave my legs"  LOL That is soooo me also!!
    I agree with everything already mentioned. Plus us being apart really makes us appreciate each other when we are together. We don't take each other for granted.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker imageGraphics
  • edited December 2011
    There's really nothing positive about it, except that having been stationed on the same ship as my FI, I believe it's actually EASIER not to see each other, than see each other every day, but since you're at work, you can't hug or kiss or say "I love you" or any of it.  It's easier to just be apart, in my opinion.

There's nothing easy about being married to [or being] a military member, it's a million times harder than a traditional relationship, but for those that are up to the challenge, there's nothing more amazing than the day he comes home, and that makes up for all the time he was gone.
  • edited December 2011
    Getting the opportunity to both become strong, independent people who can still function in a relationship and need that other person.  I used to rely on my FH for everything...especially money related.  Having him away is forcing me to deal with the things I need to know as a repectable member of society.

And you hit the nail on the head when you said that it really makes you appreciate having them around.  I don't take my time with him for granted.  I try to enjoy every possible moment with him.

I think it also makes you realize the important things and are better able to move past those silly arguments.  No one wants to argue when your time together is limited.
    "This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood - finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without." ? Jodi Picoult Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Marcia1215Marcia1215 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

LOL! I'm also guilty of the not shaving the legs thing.  But honestly I do stuff that I probably wouldn't do if he was here like yoga and watching chic flicks.. And I get to hold the remote control all the time.
    But like a previous poster said, you get past the small arguments fast because time together is limited which is a positive.

• edited December 2011
    I agree with the not shaving thing. LOVE that.

We also get to spend a lot of alone time, so we maintain that sense of independance that sometimes gets lost when you're together. It's empowering to feel independent.

I also tend to eat a lot healthier when he's deployed. I really get into shape because lunch is usuallly my largest meal of the day, and I fall into a regular workout schedule, so I get really fit. I love that. When FI's here, we tend to lounge about the house a lot more (hello, Naked Thursdays!), and FI likes to go out to bars more than I do. And I certainly won't go out drinking by myself, so more often than not, I go quite a while without drinking (another health benefit).
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • edited December 2011
    i know i sleep WAY more and take naps and . .. .  *sigh*
    i love being well rested

and i never wear thongs

and i can read through the nights and weekends

oh, and i can pet kitties.  he is allergic and i really love my cat.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards