Military Brides

Sword Arch Logistics...can anyone help?

So we are def doing the sword arch at our wedding. FI is an officer in the Marines. We have picked the Marines to do the arch, so we are on our way.

Here is the question-
After the ceremony what happens? Would we walk down the aisle and then have the sword arch outside with all of our guests inside? I think they would want to see it! 
OR
Have the chaplain ask all guests to go outside then have the bridal party walk out, have the sword arch set up, then us walk down and through.
Have anyone seen or done a sword arch that could provide some guidance!
TIA

Re: Sword Arch Logistics...can anyone help?

• kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think some people think it's inappropriate inside the church (because it's done using weapons and all), which wouldn't bother me at all if I were witnessing, but who knows? I think the way I have seen it mostly and liked the best (you can find it on vimeo or youtube) is that everyone goes outside the church while the bride and groom wait inside somewhere, and it's set up on the steps. 

We're not getting married inside, but I don't want to do it at the ceremony site because so many people have expressed interest in it. If we did it at the end of the aisle, some people wouldn't be able to see it very well. So I think we're going to do it as we walk into the venue. I'm not totally sure just yet.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding a couple of years ago where they finished the ceremony, had the receiving line and everything inside, and then did the saber arch outside at the same time all the guests were blowing bubbles (bubbles in this case, of course other people throw rice or other things.)

White Knot Visit The Knot! Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • edited December 2011
    My FI is also an officer in the Marine Corps and we are having a sword arch after the ceremony. We talked with the church coordinator and our photographer about logistics of it all. After the ceremony, our plan is to sign the marriage certificate with the priest and witnesses in a small room at the church. Our wedding planner will direct guests to outside of church (in the large main foyer if raining...wedding is in Seattle). This will hopefully offer guests enough time to exit, so they can all witness us walk through the arch. I was a bit weary of of the sword arch indoors, but the church coordinator said it would be fine in the foyer.

It's one way to do it. Hope it's helpful

edited December 2011
    I really like how this pilot and his wife did it (this is my absolute favorite wedding video that I've ever seen)

It's at about 3:20 if you don't want to watch the whole thing.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
    edited December 2011
    http://vimeo.com/groups/eos7d/videos/13103137

This one (while a beautiful wedding) is what I was talking about earlier (3:15), the guests can't even really see it. :(
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've seen the couple walk back down the aisle, and then go into a side room for 5 minutes alone (which they said was so nice, to just stop and hold each other and look in each other's eyes and know they were spending their first moments together as man and wife).  Then their families and friends exited, and the arch of swords was set up, and the bride and groom came out from the side room and walked through the arch of swords.  It worked out really well!

Anniversary

• Epic07032011Epic07032011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Churches are safe havens-- no weapons inside.

Do the receiving line, and then everyone is outside, and you start to come outside---through the sword arch. It will be lovely.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards