Military Brides

I just saw this video on facebook

I've had a few friends post it. I'm sure some of you have seen it already too, but I really liked it. 

Re: I just saw this video on facebook

• LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It made me cry. :-)
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • BinxRoseBinxRose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep I definately teared up when I watched it.
  • edited December 2011
    Me three!!! 

Sidenote: I love that I can share the fact that I cried about something here and know that there will be no judgement.

Another sidenote: I wonder if Zim knows him.. Isn't that her school? UofIwoa?
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_just-saw-this-video-facebook?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:5d957497-5ec4-4afb-92c0-79d8d8979f56Post:363f1a23-1db0-4b5a-bc6d-9014f67bcdc1">Re: I just saw this video on facebook</a>:
    [QUOTE]Me three!!!  Sidenote: I love that I can share the fact that I cried about something here and know that there will be no judgement. Another sidenote: I wonder if Zim knows him.. Isn't that her school? UofIwoa?
    Posted by SamiJoeB[/QUOTE]
    I go to Iowa State. Iowa's our rival haha.<div>
    </div><div>Amazing video!</div>
  • edited December 2011
    Love and reposted this on my wall.. course I'm biased since I was raised by a gay parent... but whatevs it's beautiful!! :P 
  • ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_just-saw-this-video-facebook?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:5d957497-5ec4-4afb-92c0-79d8d8979f56Post:839d9e6b-b74a-4ae9-b250-cc6ebfb551aa">Re: I just saw this video on facebook</a>:
    [QUOTE]Love and reposted this on my wall.. course I'm biased since I was raised by a gay parent... but whatevs it's beautiful!! :P 
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Did I not know that about you? Not that its a big deal, I just feel like its a detail I would remember. 

</div>
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sure I've mentioned it in passing in the past. I don't really hide it. I spent my whole like having to hide it so I'm kinda done with that. haha 
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_just-saw-this-video-facebook?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:5d957497-5ec4-4afb-92c0-79d8d8979f56Post:00fcbfe6-6005-466f-abed-2a9f71e3ead3">Re: I just saw this video on facebook</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sure I've mentioned it in passing in the past. I don't really hide it. I spent my whole like having to hide it so I'm kinda done with that. haha 
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

If I could bold on my iPad, I'd bold your last sentence. Good for you! My dads a hairdresser and I was teased and bullied because they all thought my dad was gay. It was all day, everyday. I hope kids can now grow up with open hearts and open minds.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FTL I did not know that either! I'm so happy that you feel you can share and not hide it. It makes me sad to know that anyone would feel ashamed or embarassed, or were afraid to be teased for being who they are. Personally, I'm so happy that each generation is being more and more accepting of differences (whether it be homosexuality, race, gender, etc.)! I'm so grateful that my mom raised me to be an open, accepting person (my dad isn't a hardcore gay basher, but if you were to ask him his opinion, he'd say it's wrong/unnatural). I love that my FI is open too. I don't think I could be with him if he didn't have the same beliefs on the matter. I mean honestly, what if any of our future kids tells us one day that they're gay? I couldn't marry someone who would shun our own child for being who they are. I was reading an article in Parenting magazine yesterday about four different types of families. One was a gay couple, another was a single parent. It sucks to know that either type of family had to jump through more hoops than the average family to be able to have kids. A loving home is a loving home.
  • IrishcurlsIrishcurls member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_just-saw-this-video-facebook?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:5d957497-5ec4-4afb-92c0-79d8d8979f56Post:d1d903f8-ea15-4e0f-a9ff-91ac851978bd">Re: I just saw this video on facebook</a>:
    [QUOTE]FTL I did not know that either! I'm so happy that you feel you can share and not hide it. It makes me sad to know that anyone would feel ashamed or embarassed, or were afraid to be teased for being who they are. Personally, I'm so happy that each generation is being more and more accepting of differences (whether it be homosexuality, race, gender, etc.)! I'm so grateful that my mom raised me to be an open, accepting person (my dad isn't a hardcore gay basher, but if you were to ask him his opinion, he'd say it's wrong/unnatural). I love that my FI is open too. I don't think I could be with him if he didn't have the same beliefs on the matter. I mean honestly, what if any of our future kids tells us one day that they're gay?<strong> I couldn't marry someone who would shun our own child for being who they are.</strong> I was reading an article in Parenting magazine yesterday about four different types of families. One was a gay couple, another was a single parent. It sucks to know that either type of family had to jump through more hoops than the average family to be able to have kids. A loving home is a loving home.
    Posted by BinxRose[/QUOTE]
    So interesting Binxy, I was raised like bleeding crazy liberal and liked it. H was definitellllly raised more conservatively but over time has found his own values. But a good friend of mine told her husband in no uncertain terms would she marry him if he felt like he would shun their own child were they to be gay. I think her exact words were, "our child will think they are perfect and amazing just the way they are, whatever that may be." Her H was raised in a conservative Christian house and was honestly taught that being gay is a sin and unacceptable. It's such an interestesting divide among people, because I think it is dependent almost entirely on how <em>you</em> were raised, kwim? My friends H really truly believed it was wrong, because no one told him otherwise.

Anyway. I'm obsessed with that video, is the point. :)
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_just-saw-this-video-facebook?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:5d957497-5ec4-4afb-92c0-79d8d8979f56Post:ef250508-d03b-45f4-a001-4a40d46d05bb">Re: I just saw this video on facebook</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I just saw this video on facebook : So interesting Binxy, I was raised like bleeding crazy liberal and liked it. H was definitellllly raised more conservatively but over time has found his own values. But a good friend of mine told her husband in no uncertain terms would she marry him if he felt like he would shun their own child were they to be gay. I think her exact words were, "our child will think they are perfect and amazing just the way they are, whatever that may be." Her H was raised in a conservative Christian house and was honestly taught that being gay is a sin and unacceptable. It's such an interestesting divide among people, because I think it is dependent almost entirely on how you were raised, kwim? My friends H really truly believed it was wrong, because no one told him otherwise. Anyway. I'm obsessed with that video, is the point. :)

So did your friend's husband change his opinion so she'd marry him?
    Posted by Irishcurls[/QUOTE]
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_just-saw-this-video-facebook?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:5d957497-5ec4-4afb-92c0-79d8d8979f56Post:ef250508-d03b-45f4-a001-4a40d46d05bb">Re: I just saw this video on facebook</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I just saw this video on facebook : So interesting Binxy, I was raised like bleeding crazy liberal and liked it. H was definitellllly raised more conservatively but over time has found his own values. But a good friend of mine told her husband in no uncertain terms would she marry him if he felt like he would shun their own child were they to be gay. I think her exact words were, "our child will think they are perfect and amazing just the way they are, whatever that may be." Her H was raised in a conservative Christian house and was honestly taught that being gay is a sin and unacceptable. It's such an interestesting divide among people, <strong>because I think it is dependent almost entirely on how you were raised, kwim?</strong> My friends H really truly believed it was wrong, because no one told him otherwise. Anyway. I'm obsessed with that video, is the point. :)

Yes I do agree how you act/feel/believe now can depend on how you were raised. But like your H, I have found my own values. For example, my mom considers herself a Republican (with some socially liberal views), but I'm liberal. I was raised Christian, but am now atheist. My dad thinks homosexuality is wrong/unnatural, but I think it's natural. I think how much you stick to your parents' beliefs can also depend on how educated you are. College was a real eye-opener for me and changed my views on so many things!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_just-saw-this-video-facebook?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:5d957497-5ec4-4afb-92c0-79d8d8979f56Post:363f1a23-1db0-4b5a-bc6d-9014f67bcdc1">Re: I just saw this video on facebook</a>:
    [QUOTE]Me three!!!  Sidenote:<strong> I love that I can share the fact that I cried about something here and know that there will be no judgement.</strong> Another sidenote: I wonder if Zim knows him.. Isn't that her school? UofIwoa?
    Posted by SamiJoeB[/QUOTE]

No judging here.  I have found myself crying and the drop of a hat.  Ok like the Folgers commerical where the kid comes home from some where and his little sister puts a bow on him and says "your my present this year"  Ok confession; crying while typing this. 

That viedo totally made me tear up. 
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love that video, and am seriously impressed with how well-spoken that young man is  in front of such an impressive and intimidating audience!  He should consider running for Congress when he's old enough.

FTL, I don't remember hearing that, either.  Like that boy in the video said, it's not like someone can pick out a kid and say, "Their parents are gay."  It doesn't leave some scarlet letter on the child.  Bad parenting, gay or straight, leaves marks, but the sexuality of the parents shouldn't affect the children one way or the other.  If anything, having a gay parent or two gay parents simply teaches children to be more accepting of others' differences.  It's a shame that kids are still bullied for that, but children will always find a reason to torment one another for being different. To me, my parents are a-sexual, and I'm sure most of us are the same - we'd rather not think of our parents as sexual beings and just ignore that part of their lives.  Ha!

I do believe by the time our generation(s) are leading the world, gay rights will have progressed significantly.  There are still those who have been raised by parents who have impressed upon them that homosexuality is wrong, but I think there are far fewer then there were even 10 years ago.

Anniversary

• kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just saw this video, and what an inspiring young man. I loved watching it! 
  • IrishcurlsIrishcurls member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_just-saw-this-video-facebook?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:5d957497-5ec4-4afb-92c0-79d8d8979f56Post:555452e2-43f4-4664-a52a-5002e3a3ce27">Re: I just saw this video on facebook</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I just saw this video on facebook : Yes I do agree how you act/feel/believe now can depend on how you were raised. But like your H, I have found my own values. For example, my mom considers herself a Republican (with some socially liberal views), but I'm liberal. I was raised Christian, but am now atheist. My dad thinks homosexuality is wrong/unnatural, but I think it's natural. I think how much you stick to your parents' beliefs can also depend on how educated you are. <strong>College was a real eye-opener for me and changed my views on so many things!</strong>
    Posted by BinxRose[/QUOTE]
    Yeah I totally agree with this!! I guess I just wonder if it takes a certain type of person to question things they were taught, versus just "swallowing it whole?" I couldnt' say for sure if my friend's H actually STILL thinks being gay is wrong, even though he's traveled the world, went to college and lives in a big metropolis and has a progessive wife....but then like you and my H, there are people who DO question and change. Sigh, I don't know what makes one person one way and one another but it sort of frustrates me when people don't even TRY to learn.....bah. What can you do though, it takes a lot of people to make the world go 'round.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_just-saw-this-video-facebook?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:5d957497-5ec4-4afb-92c0-79d8d8979f56Post:e42701d0-0210-4623-8a0c-2d7dd40e2eb7">Re: I just saw this video on facebook</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I just saw this video on facebook : Yeah I totally agree with this!! I guess I just wonder if it takes a certain type of person to question things they were taught, versus just "swallowing it whole?" I couldnt' say for sure if my friend's H actually STILL thinks being gay is wrong, even though he's traveled the world, went to college and lives in a big metropolis and has a progessive wife....but then like you and my H, there are people who DO question and change. Sigh,<strong> I don't know what makes one person one way and one another</strong> but it sort of frustrates me when people don't even TRY to learn.....bah. What can you do though, it takes a lot of people to make the world go 'round.

I was a Psych major. That is one of my favorite topics haha! Oh Nature vs. Nurture...how I love you...
  • edited December 2011
    I just realized I said like so ***life. 

I was never embarrassed. To clear that up, I was raised on military bases as most of you know, but with my mom (not my dad, who is active duty). My mom is civilian (as a lot of you know) so TECHNICALLY she could be open with her sexuality and not be fired, but conservatives on that topic can really screw things up. 
    My mom felt it was better to keep that to ourselves so as to not cause an uproar and hurt her career (which it would, easily, with so many conservative parents that she works with). It's sad that a rockstar professional can suddenly be deemed anything less, solely because of their sexual orientation, but it's the truth. Her sexual orientation wasn't relevant to her job so parents and employees didn't need to know. 
    Where she works now, she probably COULD be open with it, but she's not seeing anymore so I don't think it matters much.
    It definitely stopped me from inviting friends other than my closest friends over to my house, in fear of judgement or "outting" her to our military community. 

(I say conservatives a little generally, and am not trying to insult anyone here. I just want to make that clear that I'm aware that you can be conservative in some aspects and open to gays/gay marriage/etc. It's just easier to use a general termt than say "religious conservatives with strict conservative views on sexual orientation" lol. Hope I didn't offend anyone with my shorthand :P ) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards