Military Brides

PTAD?

Does anyone have a significant other who has done this or is doing it. Can you explain it to me please?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: PTAD?

• kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Your FI is about to graduate and get his commission, right? He's PLC complete, right? There may not be a TBS spot open immediately, especially right after the grad months (May/Dec), so he'll be commissioned and working for his OSO. Our office's 2nd Lt. runs our PT, drives to MEPS, etc. It's kind of like recruiter's assistance. I would hate it because I'd want to get my butt to TBS.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • CARLY78CARLY78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI had PTAD right after OCS. What happened was he came back to Ohio and worked for his OSO (Officer Selection Office). We really lucked out because he only worked for a day or two (it was a few weeks during Christmas). I think the reason he did it was so he can get paid while he was off b/c I believe you have an option to just go home, but it wasn't beneficial. Don't take that as solid information- It was so long ago 2006. Hope that helps you out!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • kaynix21kaynix21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok....so when your Marines did PTAD, did they get full time active duty pay? That's what I don't quite understand. Like Carly for example you said FI worked only a few days a week...but did he get regular full time pay?

Supposedly FI will work for the OSO doing PTAD where we currently live, because they don't have anyone working for them out here his OSO is 2 hours away....for a few months until we get sent to TBS because when he commissions in July they think the earliest seat he'll get will be October. So they'll let him PTAD from July until TBS.

And it sounds like he won't have to do that much, no more than 20 hours a week and that's on a busy week...but he'll still get full/active pay?

We planned on moving but they're saying he'll get full pay which means by staying here we'll make 2x-3x as much money as we do now, and way more than we would when we move.....

But we were really looking forward to moving, so now it's just a money thing but I want to make sure i understand it all.
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Well, I'm the one applying O, not my SO. The Lt. at my OSO works full time in the office, not 20 hours a week. He recieves full time AD butterbar pay. He runs the PTs on Friday/Saturday mornings at 0700, does all the errand running, etc.

I guess it all depends on how busy the OSO is and how many people work there. My office has one SSgt, one Capt. Our office is fairly busy, but I don't know what the average is.

Once your FI commissions, he'll be AD and recieve AD pay, even if they don't have work for him 40 hours a week, he's still AD. The Captain in the office I'm working with likes his Marines to stay busy, especially if they've not gone to TBS yet, otherwise they get soft, so he seems to think. I tend to agree.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Wish!
  • CARLY78CARLY78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, he received full time active duty pay. That is how the Marines work- you can work one day or all 7 days and receive the same pay. It's nice and then it's not so nice (my FI works 12 hr shifts now getting ready to deploy so its the not so nice time lol). My FI received his commission December 15th and returned to TBS January 8th so really it wasn't a long time. And like I said we lucked out b/c it was around the holidays so they didn't make him work that much...

And as for the pay raise you're talking about, it's because in OCS your FI is on a SGT salary and when he gets his commission it will bump up to 2nd LT. I am not sure about if BAH kicks in or not after OCS, I do remember there were married guys that brown bagged it in TBS (they had the barracks but they also had a home too with BAH) Hope this helps you...

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • DianneMoBDianneMoB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Married candidates receive BAH from day one at OCS, the amount depends on their original residence.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We'll be married a few days after he gets his commission....He's a Corporal now.

But he graduate in May, commission in July, we hope...and they're telling us it'll be at least six months until he gets to go to TBS because he has to wait for a seat to open up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards