Military Brides

Sword Arch no go

So my fiance is in the Marine Corps, and has given me full reign over our weddings. Since I didn't know very much about Marine wedding traditions, I went out and bought a book about them. In the book it explained the sword arch ceremony. I loved it! I told my fiance that I had to have that! He never responded to it. So recently, when we were putting together our guest list and I asked him which of his fellow Marines he wanted to invite to perform the arch, he freaked out on me. He said the ONLY thing he wanted for the wedding was no arch. what?! Because I had been trying to get him to help me plan it, I didn't want to get upset at his involvement, even if it meant losing one aspect I had hoped for.

I know it's random, but I just needed to vent a little. I love him, so I caved. There will be NO sword arch at our wedding. Bummer.

Re: Sword Arch no go

• edited December 2011
    That is a bummer!  If that's the one thing he doesn't want then you did the right thing by giving in.  Do you know WHY it's the one thing he really doesn't want?  It's such a fun and unique aspect of a military wedding.  Maybe once he talks to you about why he doesn't want it he will realize his reasons are silly, or you will understand his reasoning and not be so bummed about it.  Good luck with everything else!
  • hh581842hh581842 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, why doesn't he want it?? 
  • kaynix21kaynix21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our plan was to do it. FI his suppose to get his officer commission days before the wedding, so he was all excited. But there's now issues with his forms and they're saying once he turns the forms in its taking 120 days to process.....the wedding is 100 days from today. So now he doesn't want to do it because he's a Corporal instead of second lieutenant......Which makes me sad. We were both excited for it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • SpunkchinSpunkchin member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If that's the only thing, just let it go. He might not want the wedding to be military focused since the day is supposed to be about the two of you, not the Marine Corps.
  • beachbum4304beachbum4304 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    awww sad. why didn't he want it? that was one of the things my fiance def wanted. but i agree if he said no i wouldn't push it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    A lot of military members feel like an AW for having that kind of tradition at their wedding.  I don't blame him.  He's the one in the uniform, he should definitely be the one to decide.
    Twin boys due 7/25/12
  • jbtigger06jbtigger06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Being around the military all the time. A lot of people want nothing to do with the military at their wedding. My FI is not even wearing his blues.
  • edited December 2011
    I personally don't want the sword arch just because I find it demeaning.  I mean, it looks nice, very photogenic.  But when they lower the swords to stop you from passing, and someone smacks you on the @$$ with their sword and says, "Welcome to the Marines, ma'am" - somehow that's not how I want to remember my first moments as a married woman! 

I've already told my boyfriend and his dear friends that they are NOT allowed to smack me on the butt - I'll let them do the arch if they must, but if someone dares to do the smacking, they're going to get smacked right back and better be prepared to wear a black eye the rest of the wedding! Kiss
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards