Military Brides

Marine Corp Cover Rules!!! Can't find the answer :(

2»

Re: Marine Corp Cover Rules!!! Can't find the answer :(

• Sammy0709Sammy0709 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2014

Hey! Not sure if this is too late but I have been to several outdoor USMC weddings and this is what I have seen.

The grooms don't wear a cover- it's not necessary. The arch does have to wear their though. I have also seen the groomsmen not wearing their covers either.

Honestly, and this is advice from a mil-spouse who had an outdoor, dress blues wedding- it is your wedding and the military police is not going to come to your wedding and fine your or your FI or groomsmen if their shoes aren't shined perfectly or they aren't wearing their cover. Do what you and your fiance want within reason- i.e.- if neither of you want him to wear his over, then don't. If you want him in white pants and it is in the winter (also very common) while his groomsment are in blue pants, it is okay.

Holy crap, showing up with shoes not shined? I realize most of your guests don't know any better but oh yeah let's let the participants look like freaking dirt bags. If I were having a wedding and someone in the wedding showed up in dirty coroframs or unshined leathers they would be fixing that on the spot or not participating. That's coming from a service member who also happens to be in the ceremonial guard at their command and I would never show up to someone's ceremony sans cover...or any other part of my uniform...and with messed up shoes. And this post is 4 years old so this comment is irrelevant but I still had to throw it out there. And you can't choose to wear whatever you want even if it's not authorized for the season. Someone retiring in December in the Navy can't just decide to wear dress whites because it's NOT AUTHORIZED.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hey! Not sure if this is too late but I have been to several outdoor USMC weddings and this is what I have seen.

The grooms don't wear a cover- it's not necessary. The arch does have to wear their though. I have also seen the groomsmen not wearing their covers either.

Honestly, and this is advice from a mil-spouse who had an outdoor, dress blues wedding- it is your wedding and the military police is not going to come to your wedding and fine your or your FI or groomsmen if their shoes aren't shined perfectly or they aren't wearing their cover. Do what you and your fiance want within reason- i.e.- if neither of you want him to wear his over, then don't. If you want him in white pants and it is in the winter (also very common) while his groomsment are in blue pants, it is okay.

No.

In fact their cover is necessary unless their commander has designated otherwise.

I'm a Marine Spouse (who is also a Soldier with my own set of uniform regulations that I have never ignored despite wishing I could on occasion) who had an outdoor wedding with H in dress blues. H wore his cover because it's the reg and he's not a dirtbag who thinks he's more important than the rules. If you choose to wear your uniform, you choose to follow regs. Unless you're a dirtbag. He didn't wear white trousers because they weren't authorized. And they're ugly. But if they had been the correct uniform, he would've worn them. Regardless of our personal preferences. Because wearing a uniform is about uniformity. Not the personal preferences of narcissists.

But what do I know? I'm branched military police. I must be a crazy rule follower.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • If I may add, as another Veteran (MP), people do face punishment for breaking regs at weddings. DH jus taut one of his guys on extra duty for not having the beans to tell his now wife, mom and wedding planner that flowers don't go on uniforms.
    Several months ago, he crawled the behind of another for wearing ACU'S IS his beach wedding ceremony. Why? Regs specifically say they are not to be worn for weddings.
    If you can't follow simple uniform regs, how can you be trusted to follow regs and rules that are "more important".
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

• If you can't follow simple uniform regs, how can you be trusted to follow regs and rules that are "more important".

Amen. At OCS, it was regularly imparted upon us that the reason we were to care so much about uniform regs was because they were the most obvious way to exemplify the standard. And as such we were encouraged and expected to correct those around us. Deciding what regulations are "more" important is a decision that's far above mine or anyone else's pay grade.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • edited September 2014
    I know the rules and everything, but if your having your ceremony or reception outside but somewhere private I say go for it how you want to. I think if your fiance doesn't mind breaking the rules at your wedding then you shouldn't either. Is anyone really going to say anything about them not following protocol? If your having it somewhere public, or if your inviting any of your fiance's senior officers then I hate to say it, but I think they have to wear the covers.

um you may be surprised. My ex husband is a Marine we were on vacation once and he hada cut off on with his tattoo showing.. a taller man came over and pulled him aside. When he came back he was kind of grumpy that man was a fellow Marine (out ranked him by a lot) told him he needed  a tshirt on. They aren't supposed to wear cut offs, dunno if thats changed now that was in 2004. Anywho I'll always remember that you never know who is watching and who WILL Say something.
  • PS. That wedding I had the saber arch it was really neat. Good luck to you and your FI.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards