Military Brides

To all the Army brides who have questions about dress greens!

This irks me SO much to read all the posts asking whether or not their groom should wear his class A's (dress greens) because of the color or they don't like them blah blah blah.

I want you all to realize that the greens are technically a DUTY uniform, just as he wouldn't wear his ACUs to his own wedding, he shouldn't be wearing his A's either. The Army Times recently ran an article about how the greens are now the official uniform in non-field environments, a lot of offices on base are now requiring greens think of it like wearing a suit to work instead of jeans.

AR 670-1 States that the "Class A" Army Green Service Uniform is acceptable for informal social functions in addition to daily duties. Conversely, the Army Blue Uniform is for formal functions.

If you aren't interested in dress whites (which are never worn otherwise and pretty much a waste of money) then have your fiance invest in some dress blues. He can wear them for the rest of his career and the color is much more flattering at a wedding, not to mention one of the two only appropriate choices for his own wedding (whites or blues) unless he goes with a tux or suit. 

Please don't take this as an attack or personally in any way. But if you're going to be a military wife than these are things you should know and your fiance should feel obligated to uphold certain standards whether at work, overseas or at his own wedding. So do the right thing :)

Re: To all the Army brides who have questions about dress greens!

• edited December 2011
    I am an Active Duty Army NCO with Protocol training...and while you are correct in the fact that the Class A's are a duty uniform the Dress A's (which are the greens with slight changes) are a dress uniform.  In all actuality if the Soldier has a couple of options, they can wear the Dress A's, Dress Blues, Dress Mess, or the new Army Service Uniform (which is replacing all of the prior mentioned uniforms).  An exception to this would be an informal wedding AKA JOP, backyard, etc. if they are going to wear Class As they must have headgear on while out doors, no matter what the time. 

One last note if you have uniform question your Soldier really should be consulting their NCO and AR 670-1 not a social networking board!  They should be Proud of the uniform that they wear and have the knowledge to wear it right and at the proper time. 
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    OP, Why is it my duty to know the regs regarding my FI uniform (Navy in our case)?  That is his responsibitly.  If a military service member wears his uniform to his wedding and does not wear it properly it is his fault not the bride's. My FI will being wearing his dress blues to our wedding.  I'm leaving all aspects of his uniform up to him. 

Amber, I love your point about where to get the proper information about how/what uniform to wear.  This is definately not the place. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I was just tired of girls asking whether or not their groom could wear greens or even ACUs (or complaining about how the color doesn't match their wedding and what if some grooms men are in uniform and others aren't). As a military spouse you don't have to know everything - but this is your life too. Personally, if someone is going to wear their uniform to their own wedding they better know how to do it right so they don't make everyone else look like schmucks.
  • KilleenBrideKilleenBride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    really? schmucks?, no, really? lol I missed the arguements here lol
  • mysticlmysticl member
    edited December 2011
    I think the girls are asking because they don't know how all this stuff works and they are trying to find out. And when you have family/friends who have little to no knowledge about military life you do get a lot of questions about stuff and I can see not wanting to deal with that on your wedding day and not wanting to deal with some some rude people going "did you see the groom was wearing green?", "the groomsmen didn't wear the same outfit."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_army-brides-questions-dress-greens?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:b4b11987-e216-46e7-b777-cac84adb2c77Post:7181ad64-d5ad-43e7-a366-7f43b8d54593">Re: To all the Army brides who have questions about dress greens!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was just tired of girls asking whether or not their groom could wear greens or even ACUs (or complaining about how the color doesn't match their wedding and what if some grooms men are in uniform and others aren't). As a military spouse you don't have to know everything - but this is your life too. Personally, if someone is going to wear their uniform to their own wedding they better know how to do it right so they don't make everyone else look like schmucks.
    Posted by misscarolb[/QUOTE]

Are you or have you ever been a Soldier?  I am.  I think maybe you should go back and read the regs.  Class A's are an informal uniform.  If you are having in informal wedding, it is an appropriate uniform.  If you are having a formal wedding, the Dress A, Dress Blues (both uniforms will no longer be worn soon) or the Army Service Uniform would be the better uniform.  
    I personally think your attitude is uncalled for.  I think you came on here talking down to people when you have no buisness doing so.  You probably didn't think you would be called out by actuall SMs.  I also agree with the PPs who said that it is up to the SM to be sure that they are wearing the proper uniform, not the bride.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Well said iluvmytxrgr
  • edited December 2011
    What irks me is when people give attitude because someone asks a simple question. Sure they may have been asked before, or it may seem common sense to you (which after reading some of the responses, maybe you really don't know what you're talking about) but remember what board you're on. Planning a wedding can be hard and stressful and then add in the military and it gets a lot more complicated. I know I've personally turned into a micro-manager since planning my wedding so, while something like a uniform may not be my concern, I still want to know. There are a lot of brides on here that don't have the opportunity or LUXURY of talking to their Fi for weeks at a time because they are training in remote areas or deployed so we have to step up and plan an entire wedding by ourselves. I know that just because I'm marrying a Marine, I am not an expert on the Corps so I ask (what may be stupid) questions. Just my two cents.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm an Army Wife, and we are renewing our vows once he is home from a year long deployment and I will let you ladies know that my husband went to his NCO's and they said that it was perfectly fine for him to wear his Class A's to our wedding. They just asked that they be invited to it. Ha.

As long as the soldier wears his uniform the way it's suppose to be worn there shouldn't be a problem. And also, to the girls that don't see why they need to know  about the rules and regs of their uniform, know this.. you will HAVE to know. You think your man is going to be cleaning his uniform at all times and not ever count on you to help him? Yeah right, you are now his second pair of eyes in making sure his uniform is kept clean and neat. That uniform is privledge and honor to wear.

Damn Proud Army WIfe
    PFC O'Neal
  • edited December 2011
    Pst, just thought I'd let you know that while your time line is adorable, that it's against OPSEC! You can't do a countdown that says when the exact date that the soldier will be comming home. It's an endangerment to not only your soldier but to other soldiers your's is deployed with. I would recomend doing one of how long he has been gone. You yourself should do a donut of misery and not share that information with anyone.

Damn Proud Army Wife
    PFC O'Neal
  • iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_army-brides-questions-dress-greens?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:b4b11987-e216-46e7-b777-cac84adb2c77Post:8c5248e7-ac32-4f6a-880e-55b40f558d55">Re: To all the Army brides who have questions about dress greens!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Pst, just thought I'd let you know that while your time line is adorable, that it's against OPSEC! You can't do a countdown that says when the exact date that the soldier will be comming home. It's an endangerment to not only your soldier but to other soldiers your's is deployed with. I would recomend doing one of how long he has been gone. You yourself should do a donut of misery and not share that information with anyone. Damn Proud Army Wife PFC O'Neal
    Posted by Jessie ONeal[/QUOTE]
    Let's not forget PERSEC while we are at it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    To misscarolb (Miss know it all)

Look Lady! Most of us soon to be brides may not be having a pretty pretty princess wedding like maybe were not from like the valley! We want a military wedding with our men in uniform. It's not like Comander and Chief is gonna stroll be every single military wedding a strip away their rank cause god forbid they are in their greens at their wedding. It's their wedding let them wear what they want! Anyway not all soliders have Class A Blues but, they do have their regular Class A Greens!  Stop being a bridezilla!  Innocent
    True love is the souls recognition of it's counterpart.
  • mysticlmysticl member
    edited December 2011
    Just a little confused about the comment on the countdown ticker since no one on this thread has a countdown to when a service member is returning and I haven't seen one on any of the other threads.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards