Military Brides
Options

Cal/Others with experience in Miami

Hey :)

So, FI and I are flying back into Miami from our hm, and we're looking for some things to do in the area/nice (but not super expensive) places to stay. we have about 5 days between when we get back from our HM and when we need to head back to Jax, so I'm looking for suggestions for what to do in south FL; we are willing to do some driving too, so if there's anything anyone would sugest between Miami and Jax, please chime in! We both really love the outdoors and adventure, and FI is a history buff, so really any suggestions along these lines along with touristy things, etc would be great. 

TIA!
wedding1 Anniversary

Re: Cal/Others with experience in Miami

• Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    Unless you love the beach, I'd advise not staying in Miami Beach because it's MUCH more expensive.  I would suggest Priceline "Name Your Own Price", and if you do Coral Gables (just south of Miami, cute little town with lots of shops and restaurants) and do 4 stars and put around $70, you get the Hyatt Coral Gables, which is REALLY nice!  It's a reasonable drive to Miami Beach if you wanted to do that for a day or evening (it's my commute every day, basically - around 25 minutes).  But there's better restaurants without all the tourist traps.

I like driving down to Key Largo and going snorkeling - it's $35 per person for a 4 hour snorkeling trip - either two locations, or one location and a champagne/rum punch sunset sail.  It's fun!  There's a restaurant down in Islamorada (one of the Keys) called Morado Bay which is AMAZING - great view of the sunset, the tables are set up in the sand so you sit there drinking big old drinks out of mason jars and eating the best seafood you've ever imagined. 

If you want to stay in the Keys, I recommend Conch Key Cottages.  Reasonably priced, central to everything, and really romantic and private. 

As far as history goes, I'm at a loss.  No help there, sorry!

Anniversary

• Options
    Awesome info, thank you so much!!!
    wedding1 Anniversary
  • Options
    Reef Roamer is the snorkeling company I've used a few times - http://www.reefroamersnorkel.com/ - it's awesome!

Anniversary

• Options
    You could go out to Shark Valley, part of the everglades with bike rental so you can ride around a 15 mile paved area.  Also, for history, there is the versace mansion, viscaya gardens, or look up a crime tour. You can learn about the huge war on drugs in the 80's, Al Capone, etc.  super intersting. Go to the venitian pool and at least have dinner at the biltmore hotel--beautiful.  Some miami beach hotels offer military rates as well. I've stayed at the eden roc resort for $129, on the beach w/ view and jacuzzi tub.  Or, look for a place in the Brickell area.  There is a new hampton in w/in walking distance to lots of restaurants.  Go to Tap Tap restaurant and try haitian food, the coconut spinach is awesome.  Also, if you go to Shark Valley, stop at Palacio de los Jugo on the way (it will be on the left once you make the final turn towards shark valley).  Amazing cuban food and fresh fruit juices.
  • Options
    If you are staying in Miami, I like Coconut Grove. It is a quiet neighborhood close to downtown that still have CocoWalk to eat and play. We usually stay at the Hampton Inn Coconut Grove (http://www.hamptoninncoconutgrove.com/).
    For outdoorsy people, the choices are the Keys and the Everglades.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards