Military Brides

support

i am newly engaged and look for some out side support i am marrying a marine and info or advice at all dont hesitate!

Re: support

• iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure what to  tell you other than be open and flexible to change.  Things will change all the time and many times with very little notice. 
    Do you have any specific questions that you want to ask? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Educate yourself for sure on the lifestyle you're marrying into.  I've read "Married to the Military" so far - it's got generally good advice, though I've heard some parts are rather controversial.  The more you know before becoming engulfed in the military community, the better prepared you will be.  For me, it really helps to remember that expecting the best but preparing for the worst is always helpful.  And get everything in writing, since bureaucracy can really make things difficult and it helps to have proof of anything that was agreed to (recruiting promises, requested/granted leave, etc.)  It still won't solve all problems, but at least it's a start!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Marine is always capitalized. I think my best advice is to have an identity outside of being married to a Marine. Being a wife is not an MOS, and it's not a job. Don't wear your husband's rank, if you want rank or the identity of a Marine, join up! :)

Please feel free to ask any questions, I really love the Marine Corps, so I'll help out if I can.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My H is in the Navy, so I can't give you specific Marines advice, but military life I can help with.  As catemeg said, you need to be flexible, and open for anything.  Its one thing I have had trouble with, but i've definitely gotten better.  Take any dates that the military gives you as an estimate, nothing is ever set in stone.  Trust me, our move date and H's deployment date have both been changed a few times.  As a result, our wedding date had to change and we had to bump it up. 

As WishIcould said, don't try to wear your husbands rank.  Just because your H is an E7 doesn't mean you are, or should expect the same respect he gets for it.  And don't look down on anyone ranked below FI, or their spouses.  Don't think that you and FI are entitled to anything just because he's in the military.  I can't tell you how many young military wives think they should be paid more, have more BAH, get better housing, etc.  Then get yourself a job and pay out of pocket! 

Not sure of your age, or career status, or school or anything.  But know what you want to do and stick to that.  If you put off school to move with him, a lot of people don't end up finishing.  If it means not moving with him right away so you can finish school or a degree, then finish school.  You have to maintain your indentity as well, and you don't want to be able to regret not finishing school later in life, or transferring schools and losing half your credits or something. 

Most importantly, you need to remember that at the end of the day, or week, or deployment, the thing that matters most is your love for your FI, and remaining true to that love, and also remaining true to yourself.  Any other questions feel free to ask!  And congratulations!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Find a copy of "Roses and thorns", My FI gave me one.. Its just interesting and it really introduces you to the military lifestyle if you're not familiar with it already. We're always here!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards