Military Brides
Options

Dose of my own medicine...

So I know I've been supportive and offered advice to women looking to occupy their time while their guys are away.  But now that it's my turn (and only for a short while in easy circumstances, so I'm not complaining here), I'm worried I'll be a lazy slug while he's gone.  He'll be gone all summer, as I mentioned in a previous post, doing a JAG internship at Parris Island.  I'll see him twice, hopefully, but it's doubtful that he'll come home at all - I'll have to go to him.  I'll miss him, but I'm mostly worried about going slowly crazy and devolving into a slug while he's gone!

I am a messy, social person - so not having anyone at home is like being in a padded cell.  I go slowly insane, and make absolutely no effort to clean as no one will see it but me.  It's a bad environment for me.

He was away visiting family this weekend, and I already saw myself going into bad habits.  Staying up late because there was no one to suggest we go to sleep already, eating crappy food, having no motivation to clean and getting overwhelmed by the clutter. 

So mostly this is advice on living alone - I know I'll miss him, but I also know it'll be fine.  But I'm mostly worried about just living alone!  How do you keep yourself busy and productive when you're living alone?  How do you fill your evenings and weekends so you don't feel like the silence of your house is slowly suffocating you?

Anniversary

Re: Dose of my own medicine...

• Options
    Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I became a TK junkie when H left!

I'm sure you have friends there right?  Do you have any single friends or friends who will be alone during that time too?  I have made 2 close friends here, and both of their husbands are on the ship with H.  I get together with the one girl about 5 nights a week, and most of the time it's just her coming over with her dog for a doggie play date and us watching tv.  We have shows we watch almost every night, like the Bachelor, Glee, Ameican Idol, etc.  It has literally made the weeks fly by (they will be home so soon and I can't believe it!).

As for cleaning the house, I definitely feel you there.  I have a tendency to let things pile up on our dining room table because it's right by the front door and is just an easy catch all.  Clutter drives H nuts, so I knew I had to clean it before he came home, but as long as I kept it reasonable I left it there while it's just me.  Also, I definitely don't vaccuum nearly as much as I should, but I figure it's just me so who cares.  I do make sure though that the kitchen is always clean and the bathrooms.  

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    pick up hobbies! i play guitar, i paint, i usually write a ton, although for some reason i havent been writing lately... boo... i took up making jewelry, trying new things, like new yoga teachers, or new hiking trais. i got a puppy, so thats been fun trying to train him. i also got two jobs, that has DEFINITELY helped passing the time (even though its been completely stressful!).

you'll be fine. just do a ton, a keep yourself busy. thats the best thing to do. youre still gonna have moments, but just keep your eyes in tunnel vision... with your man at the end of the tunnel always :). deployments/little trips/trainings/whatever the hell it is the military wants them to do that keeps them away from us.... all of it ends at some point. i'm going to experience my first homecoming this week... and its totally surreal, but i can only imagine how great that feeling is gonna be :).

stay positive, and good luck. if you ever need more suggestions, or just someone to shoot the shiiiet with, im a PM away :).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lamoureux86lamoureux86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like the other girls, all I can recommend is to stay busy! Whenever FI goes away I come up with a workout plan that's the same amount of days he is gone. It's kind of like a countdown to when he returns, but it focuses more on what workout I need to do that day rather than mull over how many days I have left until he comes home.

Friends are crucial! Make some time for them even when you feel like you just want to sit your bum on the couch all night. You'll feel better after spending time with them.

Pick one task/hobby/activity to do each day. It can be as simple as cleaning out a closet or reading a couple chapters out of a book. Or finding a hiking trail and taking a long walk by yourself. Maybe some window shopping at the mall.

As long as you stay busy and positive, time won't drag so much! Smile

• Options
    edited December 2011
    How do you keep yourself busy and productive when you're living alone? I got a Dog.
     How do you fill your evenings and weekends so you don't feel like the silence of your house is slowly suffocating you?I got a dog. LoL

I've wanted a dog my entire life (since I was 3) and when my last roommate moved on, I got a puppy. She took up a lot of time at the beginning with house training and training in general. She def. filled up the space, and although she rarely barks she does ease the silence.

thats my story, but I know that its not a universal. :) I haven't lived with FI yet and we have our own lives hundreds of miles apart -- but I make sure to schedule cleaning, because although I am clean I am less clean when I started living alone. Now I put everything on my calendar :)

Recently I got a Yoga buddy. We go to Yoga 3xs a week and she is the reason I am able to make my workouts. Having someone expect you to be there HELPS so much! I can't say that enough, so I would strongly encourage you to get a work out buddy. :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everything everyone has said so far! 

I'm living alone now at school in MD while fiance is in CA with the kitty:( The best advice really is to stay busy and keep yourself occupied with your interests, but it also helps me to have little goals for myslef. I do things like "I want to accomplish _____before I see him again"- I go to the gym more to lose a certain number of pounds, do more yoga to be able to do a certain pose better, learn a few words in a different language, get new bedding by a certain date, I'm a writer so I set a goal/deadline for however many articles, using Crest whitestrips, stuff like that...I like looking around and thinking I've DONE something with the time I've had to myself...like I did something good for me or both of us while he was away. Money could help...be like ok I'll put __away each week/month so we can have a special date/spa day when he gets back...that's helped me too. Just do something to keep yourself busy so you have something to look forward to EVERY single day....TV shows are great haha like Tuesdays are for Glee and Zumba, Thursdays are for Grey's Anatomy and Pilates, etc....

good luck! I totally know how you feel!
    Nimi and Little Bite Photobucket
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think I'm going to be counting down by Invisalign retainers... I am just about to start, and I'll switch trays every 2 weeks.  So it's only 6 trays until I get him home again!!!

Thanks, ladies!  I'm definitely going to try to stay busy - I just registered for a half marathon in August, so that should keep me fairly busy with training.  I don't have too many friends down here, but I'm making more all the time, and I look forward to hanging out with them.

And there's no way I'm getting a pet, though I'm sure it would pass the time.  I travel too much for work!  And I'm not an animal person - that's his territory.

I also just found out that I'll be in Switzerland for work the end of June, so that'll be fun!

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    umm switerland! holy cow thats awesome!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards