Military Brides

Honeymoons...

So I'm curious! Where are you all going for your honeymoon? Or where did you go? How long are you staying/did you go for? And what kinds of activities did you end up doing or plan to do?

We're going to Ireland. I am trying to get him to go for a full 2 weeks but we might have to shorten that time. Still planning it. I definitely want to do every single tourist thing imaginable and would love to try to see some of the country, but it will be hard since we are not planning on renting a car. It's too expensive and we might have to get some kind of permit and I think 99% of cars are still manual there.

I have only been to Europe once before. (I went to Poland for 2 weeks.) I'm so excited to be going back and can't wait to see the beautiful green. :)
image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Honeymoons...

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went to Whistler, B.C. about 8 months after our wedding (after H got back from deployment), and went for 5 days.  H went snowboarding 2 days, and I did some shopping when he went.  It was very relaxing though and we loved it.

Everyone is different and does their own thing, but I personally didn't want a big, planned touristy thing for our honeymoon.  Even if we had done it right after the wedding, I still wouldhave felt the same way.  After all the planning and scheduling and everything for the wedding, I would have wanted to just relax.  We felt the same when we did go, because H had just gotten home and we just wanted to spend time together.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • tyleet87tyleet87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Relaxing does make sense on a honeymoon. haha :) Especially since he was deployed for a while. But your HM sounds like something I would love to do too!

FI and I love to travel and explore so this is perfect for us. He's Irish and has been to Ireland once before and is so excited to show me around. :)
  • shayNnikshayNnik member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're not going on a honeymoon. We were trying to plan sort of a minimoon but XH is not going to be able to take DS like he was supposed to so I'm not sure now if we'll just have a mini vacation.

I can't justify spending tons of money on an international honeymoon when I am waiting to hear any day now if I got the assignment to Italy that I volunteered for :-) 4 years of traveling all over and living a new lifestyle? I'll take it, thank you Air Force.
    imageimage
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    MUST HAVES: Clothes, Groom
    WISHES: Wedding planner(check!), Honeymoon, Blue Petyl Bouquet
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    We're planning on trying to go to Washington State/Oregon for a week or two shortly after our wedding.  We're going to plan for the end of September, but we're prepared to reschedule if necessary (have Southwest flights, so we can transfer the cost towards another flight with no penalty if we have to cancel even last minute).  Because he'll only have just started active duty, even though it's temporary duty (ADOS orders - it's like an internship where he'll be working in a law center on some base, so they're pretty easy going about leave usually), we still can't be sure he'll be given leave. 

Still, I'm pretty excited about the Pacific Northwest!  It's supposed to be pretty awesome, and we love fall weather.  If we have to push it back, it'll be a winter trip, which would also be lovely.  We just want to stay at little cute B&Bs, go hiking, hopefully go camping for a night or two (if it isn't too cold yet), eat great food, and go wine/beer tasting.

About a year after we get married, after he finishes TBS, we hope to go on a bigger trip to Vietnam & Thailand for 2-3 weeks.  That's our dream trip, but it's too hard to try to plan it after our wedding.  And, to be honest, I'm glad to have a less complicated trip after our wedding.  I love planning trips, but I'd rather not have to stress about that at all while planning the wedding, too.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    We're going to Hawaii We just have to buy plane tickets other than that it's all booked
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Shay, I'll be pretty jealous if you get assigned to Italy. 4 years of traveling that you described is my life's dream. :D

Cal, that sounds great! I would so love to go on mini vacations in the south and stay at gorgeous B&Bs. I'm already planning one for when he comes home from MP school after the wedding in maybe Georgia. Well I'm planning in my head at least. ;)

I find it curious why people get so stressed with planning the wedding. Of course there is a million things to do but as long as I have my checklist and make appts and hire vendors on time I'm good. So having a big and complicated HM is definitely what I always dreamed of and it's now on my checklist. So far, for me, nothing's gone wrong wedding wise. *knocks on wood*

All your HM's sound great! :D
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Zim, Hawaii is gorgeous! It seems like it has the perfect weather at all times. And if you love beaches, it's paradise. :)
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    H and I went to Vegas for a few days, but after he gets back from deployment is our real trip, either to Costa Rica (his choice) or New Zealand (my choice). I've lived in and been all over Europe, and he's lived in and been all over Asia, so a lot of our other choices were out, since we want to discover a new place together. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_honeymoons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:cae22c4f-21ae-47ec-b1bb-62e1542fd6ecPost:37f68586-152a-4128-8f12-941f55a9f13b">Re: Honeymoons...</a>:
    [QUOTE]H and I went to Vegas for a few days, but after he gets back from deployment is our real trip, either to Costa Rica (his choice) or New Zealand (my choice). I've lived and been all over Europe, and he's lived and been all over Asia, so a lot of our other choices were out, since we want to discover a new place together. 
    Posted by WishIcouldbeinthe'stan[/QUOTE]

Wow, that sounds fantastic! Both of your choices sound amazing. I don't know which one I would even pick if I had to! I hope I'll get the opportunities to live all over as well. :)
  • ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    H and I did not really get one since I had just started a new job and couldn't take the time off, but we have done a few little day trips since I moved to SC. We have been to Charleston for the entire day, we go to Savannah quite a bit, and went to Charlotte for a day/overnight as well. Since we have been long distance for so long and he had been deployed right before our wedding, it was nice to just travel and get to know the area we live in. 

With that being said, we were going to plan a trip to Aruba for our anniversary, but since I am going to be in a wedding next fall back home, we probably won't because of costs. Flights from here to  Buffalo are just too expensive, and I want to at least go home for the shower or bachelorette as well as the wedding. 
    edited December 2011
    Zims I know you're probably going to think I'm just being mean or picking on you, but I would delete or edit your post.  Based on that post, and your Pinterest account that still has your full name in it, I could go and cancel your hotel reservation without you even knowing it, which could leave you without a hotel if you didn't notice.  I'm not making this up either, because in the past on TK a bride had her reception venue cancelled on her by some crazies because she posted too much info on here and someone didn't like her.

I know you said you asked somebody before and they said it was fine to have your full name on here.  Sure, nobody is going to get your FI in trouble for posting your full name on a board.  But you can put yourself in harms way, as well as your home.  I now know exactly when you're out of town, and someone with halfway decent sleuthing skills could find where you lived to break in.  

I'm not trying to be mean, just trying to help you understand how important it is to not post things like dates and specfiic locations on here.  I know there seems like a false sense of security on this board because it's so small, but take a look at Military Nesties, where you can still see how many views a post has.  Some posts have only 20 comments but like 300 views, which tells you there are WAY more people out there lurking then we realize.  Whether it''s "allowed" or not isn't the question, it's keeping yourself, your FI, and your wedding/honeymoon plans safe.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • shayNnikshayNnik member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good point Beach. I proved this to someone who put their address on FB and had a public profile. I found where they lived, the size and layout of their house, how much they paid and when they bought it. A quick form could be dropped at the Post Office to forward his mail to me while he was on 'vacation' then I could get account information, etc and do whatever I wanted to with it.

FTR, I'm not tech savvy, it was all simple internet searches. Google knows more than we think.
    imageimage
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    MUST HAVES: Clothes, Groom
    WISHES: Wedding planner(check!), Honeymoon, Blue Petyl Bouquet
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Beach. Didn't think about that when posting the date!
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_honeymoons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:cae22c4f-21ae-47ec-b1bb-62e1542fd6ecPost:9c345264-b9f4-48e3-9306-caf685952f25">Re: Honeymoons...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good point Beach. I proved this to someone who put their address on FB and had a public profile. I found where they lived, the size and layout of their house, how much they paid and when they bought it. A quick form could be dropped at the Post Office to forward his mail to me while he was on 'vacation' then I could get account information, etc and do whatever I wanted to with it. FTR, I'm not tech savvy, it was all simple internet searches. Google knows more than we think.
    Posted by shayNnik[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's scary about the Post Office. Never thought of that!  Further reinforces my "paperless" preference, where I can access my accounts online but nothing gets mailed to me about credit or bank accounts.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_honeymoons?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:cae22c4f-21ae-47ec-b1bb-62e1542fd6ecPost:7ba9b4fe-7e49-45df-bfa9-67e585da0a1f">Re: Honeymoons...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoons... : Wow, that's scary about the Post Office. Never thought of that!  Further reinforces my "paperless" preference, where I can access my accounts online but nothing gets mailed to me about credit or bank accounts.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]
    I try to go paperless with all that stuff too! And if I do get stuff in the mail like credit card offers and stuff like that I rip it to shreds lol
  • edited December 2011
    Honeymoon? What's that? ;) 

Hopefully we can get one in here soon before H deploys again. We'll see *fingers crossed*
    edited December 2011
    Yeah we are mostly online.  The thing that absolutely KILLS me is that the credit cards that we do have send us checks that we can use for the cards.  First of all, we don't even use the cards anymore, we definitely wouldn't write a check for it.  Luckily in our apt the mailboxes are all locked, but our house has a mailbox at the street (as do most people) where anyone could take them out and use them.  

There very well may be a way to have them stop sending them, but I haven't looked into it because I'm lazy.  I just always shred everything.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    H and I both wanted to go somewhere in Europe. We had 3 countries picked out, France, Italy and Greece but we stuck to just 1 instead of trying to do too many things in just a matter of 2 weeks. The bad weather in Greece really helped with that decision. We spent 2 weeks in Italy, flew into Rome and made our way up to Milan. We stayed in Florence while exploring other Tuscan parts and also stayed in Venice. It was an amazing experience and I'd love to go back, although we'd like to visit other European countries first. 

We did a lot of tourist-y things but we also made sure that we had plenty of time to rest and laze around in our hotel rooms, after paying so much for them, we wanted to enjoy our rooms too! lol. We made sure to have time in between tours that we did and there were some days when we just stayed in. 

I bet you will have a great time in Ireland!
  • edited December 2011
    We went to Leavenworth, WA for the week between our wedding and Christmas.  It was this super cute and adorable little German town and we had a ton of fun.  Although we did get into a fight because I'm way to much of a control freak to enjoy skiing/snowboarding.  It was really nice.. We wanted to buy a timeshare there or something, but now I'm kind of glad that we didn't, cause we'd never get to use it now that he has orders here.

We wanted to go on a cruise or something when he finally comes back to the states, but it's not really going to be the best timing.. so we'll probably put that off for a few years.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    We went to an all inclusive in Mexico.  It was wonderful!  I am a beach girl so any where that has sand, ocean and a pool bar I am happy! We did some sight seeing and swam with the sea turtles.  They were in a little cove that is run by a conservation program so no touching them you just floted on time while they swam and ate. 
  • divinemsbeedivinemsbee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    On one hand, the idea of somewhere all-inclusive in the Carribean has a huge draw for me-beach and I don't have to make any decisions. But there are so many places I'd like to go-Rajahstan in India, Turkey, and Greece as well as most of Eastern Europe. FI is dying to go to Scotland (he's one of those American "Scottish"), so we'll probably end up there if we go out of the country, but I doubt it'll be right after a wedding.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Beach/Shay: I never would have even thought of those things. How scary! Thank you for the reminder. :)

FTL: I hope you get one soon!

Kara: I wanted to go to France as well but my FI shot that one down. Your honeymoon sounds exactly the way I want mine to go. :)

Sami: I love places like that! For Octoberfest I went to a little German village in Huntington Beach, it was so cute!

Crown: That sounds so fun! Swimming with turtles sounds so cool!

msbee: I know exactly what you mean. But imo this is such a special trip, it deserves to be what you have always dreamed of. Greece or Scotland sound amazing to me and I hope you get to go! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards