Military Brides

Wedding Insurance - who did you use?

Hi Fellow Knotties,

I've been on and off the boards and have just resumed wedding planning again (forgive the outdated siggy...still trying to fig out how to change it!)

We have finally set a date for September 10 next year and we will be finalizing our venue this weekend.  Yay!  I figured it was time to start puchasing wedding insurance in the even that Fi has to suddenly get deployed.  He was told that his unit will not deplay until 2012 however, many of his friends in his unit have already been deployed with other units. 

For those of you who purchased wedding insurance...who did you use?  There are so many out there, I'm not quite sure who to go with.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Re: Wedding Insurance - who did you use?

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

If he does get deployed are you going to change the date?  Or switch to a smaller, JOP style wedding?  If you are just going to change the date I wouldn't pay for wedding insurance, I would just try to work with your vendors and get a military clause added to the contracts you sign.  That way if he is deployed or you need to change the date for another reason you can just move the contracts to a different date.  That's all we did because we knew we were going to have our wedding using those venues, just weren't sure when it would be.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • VraechelVraechel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I never even thought of wedding insurance! I've not seen any ads for it. Totally brilliant! Ive moved the date of our wedding like 25 times. We'd really like to be married on the 18th of June, but we've been afraid to send in our deposit because it's non-refundable. I'm going to check into this. Is it through your renters/homeowners insurance? 
  • rinanmattrinanmatt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thank you, dnbeach12 for your wonderful suggestion.  we know that we want a wedding so even if he deploys, we will prob wait until he returns to get married. 

to vraechel:  yah isn't great?  i found about wedding insurance here on the boards and thought that it was such an awesome idea.  there are a few out there, but i was looking at wedsafe online.  it's about 235.00 to cover a wedding of approx 25K.

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh that's not too bad of a price at all.  I expected it to be more, but I had no idea because I never looked into it. 

A lot of places will do the military clauses for you for free so its something to ask about.  But it could get tricky if you have all of your venues with deposits already and then need to change the date, since it might be hard to find a date when they are all available.  When we had to change our date we only had picked our ceremony and reception sites, so it was just finding a date that worked for the two.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't get wedding insurance, I just made sure that I had a military clause in my contract, but it was also much easier for me because we only have 1 contract. The hotel is doing everything pretty much. Just an idea!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I just made sure every contract had a military clause in it. I asked about wedding insurance at StateFarm and they looked at me like I was crazy lol I didn't realize you could do it online I thought it was a regular insurance thing.. oops
  • edited December 2011
    We just did Military clauses as well, hopefully FI will be home when he is suppsoed to so we won't have to worry about them, but our venues and vedors have been great!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • byoung0520byoung0520 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since my venue was a farm..and an old rustic barn...our vendors required us to have an insurance policy out on the event.  With that said, if you own a home you can take that up with your homeowner's insurance about taking out a policy on a special event.  Same goes with renter's insurance.  It takes not even a day to set up...as I called the week before the wedding....and we took out a million dollar policy(as the venue required) and it costs us like 175.  It's a nice thing to have for those "what if" incidents....I didn't want to be responsible for a 200 year old barn burning down to the crisp.  But as pp's have mentioned, having military clauses in your contract is better to have if you're worried about the dates changing. 

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards