Military Brides

Elopement Wording

Long story short...
My daughter's wedding was planned for 6/25/11 but her fiance (now husband) is getting deployed in May so they had a courthouse wedding last week.  How do I announce this to all the guests that were sent STD's months ago?  They will be planning a reception when he returns.

Thanks ladies!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Elopement Wording

• lamoureux86lamoureux86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe something along the lines of "The June 25, 2011 wedding of _______ and _______ was recently moved up to (insert courthouse date here) due to _______'s unexpected May deployment with the United States (insert branch of service). We hope you will still join us in a celebration of their union after _______'s safe return home. More details to follow at a later date."
  • edited December 2011
    I just want to say thank you for letting your guests know, my brother and his wife of >1.5 years are still keeping it a secret and planning a "wedding" in May...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • lamoureux86lamoureux86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_elopement-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:d392851d-b4d7-409b-baef-e1975c110ecePost:cc2dacf7-2f06-40ed-82a1-97ccb3f5361a">Re: Elopement Wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just want to say thank you for letting your guests know, my brother and his wife of />1.5 years are still keeping it a secret and planning a "wedding" in May...
    Posted by TriSaratops10[/QUOTE]

I will never understand why people do this. I would want to shout it from a mountaintop that I was married and I would want to introduce my husband AS my husband! It's so disrespectful to basically pull a fast one over your entire family and group of friends.
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing the exact same thing.  The venue we had picked out is for ceremony and reception, so instead of being weird, we are doing a renewal of our vows, and having our "wedding' just as we wanted it before the news of deployment.

We also changed the wording on our invitations to read:

He answered a call.. they fell in love... He got deployed... Before so they got married.  Please come celebrate the renewal of their vows with friends and family.

Pretty much anything that said wedding or marriage ceremony we are changing to renewal of vows or something similar.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards