Military Brides

Any Navy fiances here?!

Hey guys! I was wondering if there are any navy wives or fiances up here. I see  Army, Marines etc. Fiance has been in for 14 years and is a chief now. Luckily his ship is in the yard and he will not be going out for 3 years until he changes command. I am very proud of him. I am sure you ladies are proud of your men as well. I love the fact that I am 32 and 42. We have a beautiful home and plan on a wedding and baby next year. He is been excellen t in helping me plan. He comes with me places and doesn't roll his eyes when it comes to the expenses. After all, I work too. He gets so excited when we talk about wedding stuff. I love my sailor...

Re: Any Navy fiances here?!

• edited December 2011
    I'm not exactly a Navy fiance, I'm engaged to a Marine but I'm in the Navy! Welcome "A"board!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Navy FI here.  Enjoy the time he is in the yard, we went through that and I miss it.  My FI has been in for 15 years.  He helps plan when he's here.  Looks like we are in the same area. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Samantha175Samantha175 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm the wife of a Navy Doc planning a church "wedding" and a move to a new duty station at the same time.  My husband  just got home from Afghanistan about 3 months ago and is set to be home for a while so we decided it was the perfect time for a wedding with our family since none of them were there to see us get married by the JOP.  I wish my husband was interested in helping with the planning while he is home. He just wants to be told when and where to show up.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mysticlmysticl member
    edited December 2011
    Samantha, I do not envy you.  Our wedding date picked partly because the next time he would be free would put us at change of station.  I did not want to deal with both at the same time. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MrsWilson0611MrsWilson0611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a proud Navy fiance!  My FI has been in for six years, he served five years on a submarine and now he is on a three year shore duty.  Shore duty has been amazing because we don't have to rush or plan around moving, deployments, etc.
  • edited December 2011

I'm a new navy fiance! I'd appreciate any advice!

• edited December 2011

I'm a Navy fiancee as well! :) Like all of you, I'm extremly proud as well!

• cleiocleio member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Navy fi all the way!  sadly my sailor has only just begun his navel carrer so i have to put up with him going out to sea all the time. I also get to live with the fear that they can pull his leave for our wedding at any time... Cry
  • edited December 2011
    My daughter is in the Navy...14 years and is on shore duty in San Diego.  She's getting married September 18 and is due to transfer to  a ship next April.  Her fiance is a civilian, so she hopes to get a ship there.  She's looking right now.
  • edited December 2011
    My FI is in the navy stationed in San Diego. We have been through one deployment and are gearing up for another deployment next July!

I was wondering if someone would post something navy on here lol.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ebee27Ebee27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey guys! I just got engaged, and my man is just about to start basic training. He is going to Nuke school in South Carolina in Dec. and we hope to be married before one year goes by. Luckily they won't deploy him for the next 2 years or so while he is in training, but I'm trying to decide now whether I should just get a marriage certificate and plan the wedding for later, so that we can live together and remove some stress. We want nothing more than to be married, but I still want my big party and pretty white dress etc. and I won't let the Navy get in the way, no matter how hard they try :p

More time would be nice, but things will be chaotic no matter when I plan this! I suppose my biggest concern now is if I should be untraditional and get married way before the actual "wedding". I know we're not the first couple to rush a marriage because of the military. We're 24 and 25, a bit young and just starting with the Navy, but I am so proud of him and I can only hope we'll do ok with the added chaos of military life! 

I suppose my question for you guys is would you rather have a small, impromptu ceremony at the time you actually get married, or would you rather go to the court house, get your marriage license and wait a few months to plan a bigger, more lavish wedding? How connected, in your minds, is the act of signing some legal document to the ceremony and reception? Would separating those acts break tradition in your opinions?

Thanks, and three cheers for our sailors! Laughing 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • terri.fentonterri.fenton member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a Canadian Navy fiance. We had to put the plans on hold because he was away for a year and a half, and I got into a physiotherapy program in the meantime. We are now waiting for me to graduate, but can't set a date until we know his sailing schedule. It can be trying, but he loves his job, and I'm so proud of him!
  • abfablisaabfablisa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A new proud Navy FI here
    My sailor is a corpsman currently  training to a be a psych tech. We had  to push plans up to October and pray they don't pull his leave. We really aren't in the position for a big white wedding with frills and thrills so we decided  on a private destination wedding, then a big reception bash at the next best convenient time for the family .

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • YasemeneYasemene member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Navy fiances here in Jacksonville.  Planning the wedding while he is deployed but having lots of fun! 
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a new Navy wife, we just got married July 30th.  My huaband has been in for 8 years, and we are PCS-ing across the country in the beginning of Septemeber, and he will be deployed not too long after that.  Definitely a lot of craziness trying to plan a wedding while also planning a move and PCS.  We were fortunate though that he has been on shore duty since we met and is just going back to to sea duty now, so he was able to help me with all the planning, and we were able to just do our big wedding the first time around, and not have to do a JOP first.  We did have to change our date though, since we were originally planning for a New Year's Eve wedding, then when we found out our PCS was across country we knew it would be too expensive coming back and forth for it.  Lucky we changed it early cause only about 3 months ago we found out he would be deployed in the fall and would have missed the wedding.

My best advice to anyone planning the wedding is just be flexible, and make sure you get some type of military clause in all of the contracts you sign.  Any big contracts we signed or deposits we made had written in our contract that if we had to change the date for military reasons they would just move our deposit and contract to another date, at no cost or loss to us.  Most people are very good about working with the military, but you have to ask. 

Is anyone stationed in Washington?  We will be in Everett.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a NAVY fiance. Thank you so posting this! I may be a bit different from everyone else as I am canadian. I live just outside of Toronto, so I'm gonna need a lot of help from you all over the next year. My fiance has been serving for 14 years as well. We are getting married next year and we want to do so on the Navy base in Norfolk. Anyone familiar with that base?
  • edited December 2011
    I think we might be in the same area. How are ya?
  • edited December 2011
    Stay away from crazy, older navy wives who wear mom jeans. Always maintain your sexy. Remain yourself and not live through your man. Be proud of him and tell him so. The commisary can be cooky on the 1st and middle weekend of the month. The people will mow you down with carts. Get alll your food there, but get paper towels,toilitries etc at dollar general.
  • edited December 2011
    I wish her the best!
  • edited December 2011
    Mine is a corpman too!!!
  • edited December 2011

We have a home off of Little Creek which is near one of the bases. I am from here.

• mysticlmysticl member
    edited December 2011
    Joiner we are in the same area.  In fact I'm getting married at Little Creek.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am a Navy FI!! I am proud of my FI as well!!! Smile I am a little afraid of planning anything because he is in training right now and we don't know where he will be stationed yet. Should I go ahead and start planning our 2012 wedding with military clauses in all of my contracts. We were planning on getting married Memorial day weekend. Should he more than likely get at least the Friday before our Saturday wedding? Thanks for any advices ladies!
  • millerwhit13millerwhit13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Navy fiance in poulsbo! My submariner is getting deployed soon so I will be planning with him underwater... first time being apart for a long period of time. Any other submariner wives/fiances out there with advice?
  • mysticlmysticl member
    edited December 2011
    Alaina, I would hold off on the planning for now, especially if he is in traing.  A holiday weekend is no guarentee of him being off (my FI worked 48 hours straight over that weekend this year).   He's going to have to put in for leave so he needs to have an idea of what his command and his schedule is like.  I'm planning my wedding in 6 months and even though FI has put in for leave I'm not 100% sure he will make the wedding. 

Based on my experiences I have to advise against you even assuming he will have weekends off.  We went for months with my FI only having every 3rd weekend off and by that I mean he got off work at 6am on Saturday and had to report back at 6am on Monday. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mwegmannmwegmann member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    New Navy fiance! Just moved to Georgia & started the wedding planning while he is deployed. The FI is a submariner, this is our first time apart for this long :( Getting through it, but still haven't met anyone here yet.
  • laracsdsularacsdsu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a little late responding to this, but I'm a Navy fiance :) We've been together a little over 3 years, and will be getting married in January. He's been in the Navy for about 10 years, and we're in the process of relocating to his next duty station in MS :)
  • edited December 2011
    I am a Navy fiance as well :) My FI is stationed at Point Loma near San Diego. We moved here in May from Hawaii where he was stationed at Pearl Harbor. Planning an Oct. 2011 wedding :))
  • dipity427dipity427 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    im a Navy fiance too :) he has been in for about six years now and  just went under way again, so im super stressed trying to plan the wedding alone. he gets shore duty when he gets back so im trying to plan a wedding in another state as well lol. but hes totally worth it hehe
    Married 5/15/2011 TTC #1 Since June 2012 BFP#1 1/23/13 MC @7weeks
  • edited December 2011
    I am a Navy Finace!! I am new to all of this and could use the help too! We just got engaged but I am very proud of him he is getting ready to deploy in the next few weeks, so I am having a hard time trying to prepare for that! Any advice will help!
    :)
    Jen
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards