Military Brides

Marriage Blessing

Hello Ladies,

I'm here to ask for some advice! My husband and I were dual active duty military. We got married at a courthouse last year in March, but were never able to have an actual ceremony to celebrate with friends and family. Everyone knows and wants to celebrate with us. Both of our families are super excited for us. Due to constant deployments between the two of us, it has made it nearly impossible to ever get around to having an actual ceremony. I've known plenty of friends (military) who were married in the courthouse then had a ceremony later down the road. But for us, it'd be nearly two years after our marriage before we'll get to do anything because i'm deployed AGAIN! I'll be out of the service early next year and I was wanting to plan something to celebrate. The thing is, now I'm torn and wondering if I can have a 'wedding' ceremony, since i've already been married for so long? I guess its just a guilt thing... a wedding ceremony even though we're already married? I did do research and found out about a marriage blessing ceremony but it doesnt seem to be like a wedding.. I dont know if that makes sense, But any advice is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you in advance! God Bless!

Re: Marriage Blessing

• There are people who do vow renewals all the time. It's up to you guys if you want to spend the time and money it takes to put something like that together. At this point, I'd rather take a phenomenal vacation with my husband than host a big party, but that might just be us. It's not like people would throw you showers or bring presents to the renewal,  so I wouldn't feel guilty about it--it's about being together with family and friends. You can also do a big family reunion/BBQ thing next summer to get everyone together if that makes you more comfortable. 
  • In Response to Re:Marriage Blessing:[QUOTE]Hello Ladies, I'm here to ask for some advice! My husband and I were dual active duty military. We got married at a courthouse last year in March, but were never able to have an actual ceremony to celebrate with friends and family. Everyone knows and wants to celebrate with us. Both of our families are super excited for us. Due to constant deployments between the two of us, it has made it nearly impossible to ever get around to having an actual ceremony. I've known plenty of friends military who were married in the courthouse then had a ceremony later down the road. But for us, it'd be nearly two years after our marriage before we'll get to do anything because i'm deployed AGAIN! I'll be out of the service early next year and I was wanting to plan something to celebrate. The thing is, now I'm torn and wondering if I can have a 'wedding' ceremony, since i've already been married for so long? I guess its just a guilt thing... a wedding ceremony even though we're already married? I did do research and found out about a marriage blessing ceremony but it doesnt seem to be like a wedding.. I dont know if that makes sense, But any advice is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you in advance! God Bless! Posted by svan3411[/QUOTE]
    It doesn't have to be wedding like. Plan a kick ass party with plenty of food and drink. Have a small vow renewal ceremony thrown in.
  • Both ladies have really great advise. I would just host something like a nice BBQ or something along those lines.  Just use it as a way to celebrate your life together. Sort of like I am getting out of the military and we are starting a new phase party (if that makes any sense at all).

Good luck oh and stay safe!

• What if you pushed it back a few more years, and have a 5 year vow renewal ceremony? That gives you plenty of time plan something really awesome! I guess that's what I would do. Otherwise, the other girls had great ideas and advice. Good luck, and yes, as crown said, stay safe!

• jenalvyjenalvy member
    First Comment
    I think you two should have your dream wedding. My boyfriend and I got engaged, while we were deployed, and 1SGT gave us some great advice about marriage. Since were both pcsing we're just going to get married by the courthouse. Long story short he told us to make sure we make the time to have our dream wedding. Both of you have sacrificed more than enough for our great nation. If you want to go all out and have a big wedding then go for it. You've more then earned it. Good luck to both of you. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards