Military Brides

QOTD 8.28.11

2»

Re: QOTD 8.28.11

• calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I studied international relations with a focus on cross cultural communication and international business. I speak Spanish and a little Mandarin Chinese. I don't currently use any of that (well, Spanish, but that's because I live in Little Havana). I'm trying to figure out what I really want to do "when I grow up", and right now I think I really want to be an author. Creative things really fulfill me and everything else seems horribly boring. So we'll see! No more school until I absolutely know I'll use it. Though I'll take classes at community college to improve skills and such, just don't want any big investments until I'm sure! FI graduated with a BS in business, and is getting a law degree. That's it for us.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-82811?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ed6ffa93-722d-4a80-8fd7-cfb70264a10dPost:78811f73-dd2f-4b84-8a77-c31ca06fbdc9">Re: QOTD 8.28.11</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: QOTD 8.28.11 : I absolutely love it. When I'm done with my IT degree and Computer Science degree, I want to get my Master's in Cyber Security  .  <strong>I have yet to locate a school that offers a doctorate program</strong>, while allowing the flexibility I need with my job. I'd be proud of my dad too if he was getting his doctorate in such a field! It's so technical and ever evolving, you definitely need a profound love for the topic. 
    Posted by aor9487[/QUOTE]

They actually just got rid of his program, but since he had already started, and was more than half way done (he only has 3 classes left) he gets to finish! Lucky for him!
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-82811?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ed6ffa93-722d-4a80-8fd7-cfb70264a10dPost:7bb232c7-0f4b-4976-9be9-f1e95cc13977">Re: QOTD 8.28.11</a>:
    [QUOTE]I studied international relations with a focus on cross cultural communication and international business. I speak Spanish and a little Mandarin Chinese. I don't currently use any of that (well, Spanish, but that's because I live in Little Havana). I'm trying to figure out what I really want to do "when I grow up", and right now I think I really want to be an author. Creative things really fulfill me and everything else seems horribly boring. So we'll see! No more school until I absolutely know I'll use it. Though I'll take classes at community college to improve skills and such, just don't want any big investments until I'm sure! FI graduated with a BS in business, and is getting a law degree. That's it for us.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]
     My hri teacher said if you wanna learn a language learn mandarin bc it's the most common language but I don't think I could lol
  • ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Stan- Yeah, I'm hoping H gets into either there or Boeing. He is actually going to start his resume now and start getting out there even though he has 2 1/2 years left on his contract. We want to plan ahead on this, especially if we do decide to stay in this area.

and CONGRATS!
  • edited December 2011
    I loved reading all of these!  I am double majoring in Math and Economics.  FI is in ROTC and will have a degree in Mechanical Engineering.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm finishing up my Mathematics degree.

Fi has a degree in Aerospace Engineering.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-82811?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ed6ffa93-722d-4a80-8fd7-cfb70264a10dPost:284c2397-2ef2-437e-9bd2-a78dac498b6a">Re: QOTD 8.28.11</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: QOTD 8.28.11 : thats even if I still enlist. But thanks for the advice. :] 
    Posted by KendallR10[/QUOTE]

You don't "enlist" as an officer.
    You enlist, or you commission. fyi on term usage.
  • edited December 2011
    I have a BS in biology concentrating in microbiology and an associates in accounting(which I got much later in life.) Yeah I defiantly changed careers! It was and still is a hard transition even after 12 years.

Mr Wonderful is/was a fabricator for a company that made rock crushers until his injury.
  • KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-82811?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ed6ffa93-722d-4a80-8fd7-cfb70264a10dPost:4e01b7ca-b1ba-49b3-9e6f-e8fd35a0b561">Re: QOTD 8.28.11</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: QOTD 8.28.11 : You don't "enlist" as an officer. You enlist, or you commission. fyi on term usage.
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]
    I'd enlist first and then commision. 
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-82811?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ed6ffa93-722d-4a80-8fd7-cfb70264a10dPost:708195eb-3108-48ad-bf19-3d57b44fa556">Re: QOTD 8.28.11</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: QOTD 8.28.11 : I'd enlist first and then commision. 

Honestly, at this point, I just roll my eyes every time you talk about joining the military. I hope you do, though I don't care if you choose a different path either. But this waffling back and forth just seems like you say it just to get "street cred" around here without backing up what you say. I would be very happy to hear nothing more about joining up from you until you literally have a date to ship off for basic.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    Umm.. I'm horrible. I still haven't a clue what I want to do. I was majoring in Physical therapy to become an physical therapy assistant. Now it's just general classes until I figure out what it is that I want to do. I go back and forth a lot on it..
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-82811?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ed6ffa93-722d-4a80-8fd7-cfb70264a10dPost:e09351a3-0822-4f3a-bf12-90997029c70a">Re: QOTD 8.28.11</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: QOTD 8.28.11 : Honestly, at this point, I just roll my eyes every time you talk about joining the military. I hope you do, though I don't care if you choose a different path either. But this waffling back and forth just seems like you say it just to get "street cred" around here without backing up what you say. I would be very happy to hear nothing more about joining up from you until you literally have a date to ship off for basic.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]
    I haven't full decided yet. I think I'm going to but I'm not sure. I just don't want to get myself in to something that I'm going to hate
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • edited December 2011
    The military isn't always about joining something you love (unless you're Stan :P ) . It's sacrificing. That's the point. If you can embrace that aspect, you can learn to love it even if you hate it.
  • divinemsbeedivinemsbee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a BFA in Theater with a concentration in Technical Theater (wardrobe and wig/make-up design and implementation). FI has a BS in Mathematics, and may be getting his Master's though the AF depending on his next assignment. I try to keep my hand in where I can, and my degree is pretty portable, but mostly I temp. I'm actually looking at going to some cosmetology classes and learning to do nails, mainly becuase I love it.
  • edited December 2011
    yay for math and engineering nerds! :o)
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-82811?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ed6ffa93-722d-4a80-8fd7-cfb70264a10dPost:7908488a-4878-4ea5-bb10-515e3d4c3764">Re: QOTD 8.28.11</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: QOTD 8.28.11 : I haven't full decided yet. I think I'm going to but I'm not sure. I just don't want to get myself in to something that I'm going to hate

I think we all grasp you  haven't fully decided yet.  The waffling back and forth is what's getting really annoying.  Either do it, or shut up about it.  And if you later decide to do it, then great.  If you don't, that's fine, too.  But I know for a fact that you're driving half this board up the wall with all this flip flopping.

And geez, I thought I'd never use the word "flip-flopping" again after how nuts it drove me during the 2004 election cycle when I was volunteering for the Kerry campaign!  Haha!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    lol calindi I don't care enough to be driven up the wall by her flip-flopping quite honestly. I'm going to go ahead and guess she won't.
    lol@ your kerry campaign comment.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_qotd-82811?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:ed6ffa93-722d-4a80-8fd7-cfb70264a10dPost:aa8904fd-6cab-4b41-8ed6-7a98d8adaf7d">Re: QOTD 8.28.11</a>:
    [QUOTE]The military isn't always about joining something you love (unless you're Stan :P ) . It's sacrificing. That's the point. If you can embrace that aspect, you can learn to love it even if you hate it.
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]
    I just don't want to do it for the worng reasons. 
  • edited December 2011
    I understand that. I'm not bashing on you, just making a statement for the general population of enlisters/comissionees.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards