Military Brides
Options

Anyone around?

Hey everyone! I'm here watching FI study, while net surfing and drinking some left over champagne from the berry champagne jams we made last night for our wedding favors. Yeah,120- 2 ounce jars of jams... so glad thats over! :)

Hope everyone had a fantasic weekend!
Oh, and my venue is PAID IN FULL. I teared up a little when I handed over the check. Just kidding :)

Re: Anyone around?

• Options
    kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Me! lol

It's midnight here now but I'm not sleepy yet, actually the past few nights I have been staying up quite late and just not able to sleep. My weekend was great, H had a 3-day weekend and he didn't even tell me until I woke up at 8am  on Friday and panicked because he was still in bed! He always does that whenever he gets days off and I fall for it every single time.. We mostly stayed in but we did do some errands, saw a couple of movies, shopped a little and I'm not sure if you saw on my FB but I've got a new car! 

Isn't it such a great feeling knowing the whole wedding is paid off? I know I felt just like that when we had both wedding and HM paid off. Also, your favors seem so yummy!!!

ETA: Just realized it was only 11pm when I typed this out and not midnight! I think I need new eyeglasses. haha
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    NEW CAR!?! I must have missed that!!!

***runs off to see***

So cuteeee!  
    I almost bought one of those, but ended up with a Kia instead :)

As for the jam, they came out soooo yummy! We had some for breakfast, and seriously you just can't get that taste store bought. I am so excited! I just hope we preserved them correctly! I was boiling them forever!!!

Now I am looking into what kind of activities we can do on our HM. I found a cool Tequila Tour in Puerto that I want to do. FI is nervous to get off the boat, though. i told him that since I am Mexican, we'll be ok. LOL lieeeeessss!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a skype date with my H!! He was so cute!! But then he was all sad and like "I miss you" and he got really sad, and then was like "Do you realize how long its been?".  I was like yes, but that just means we're that much closer to being together again!!  It will have been 11 months on Tuesday..  Booo.  I totally dreamed the other night about picking him up at the airport, and I woke up crying.. they were good tears though.  Now I just have to put together Thanksgiving, Anniversary, Christmas & New Years presents, and figure out what they should be... Any suggestions?
    Photobucket
  • Options
    kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    @Cab: Thanks! Which Kia did you get? I seriously considered the new Optima, it looks so sleek! I love my car though, it drives so smoothly! You just made me hungry with the talk about the jam, haha. So I take it you're going on a cruise for your HM? That's too funny what you said to your FI!

@Katelyn: It's a 2012 NIssan Versa Sedan

@Sami: I love Skype dates! It's great that you got to have on with the hubs! I know it's tough being so far away and for such a long period of time, there was a time when I didn't get to see H for 9-10 months even if for some of the time he was in port in Japan so I understand. But it's seriously the best feeling once your H gets back stateside for good! :) Definitely decorate the boxes you send out. I can't think much of Turkey Day gifts, but for Xmas send out stuffed stockings, a mini xmas tree with decors, and anything else he really likes. Oh how about some baked goodies for each occassion? 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh Sami thats good that you got to talk to him tonight! I can't believe you guys have been apart for so long :(

Kara, I have a Kia Spectra. Went in for a Soul, but they didn't have any automatics in stock, so I got that instead. Didn't get the Versa because all they had was one with no air conditioner. Not happening! Oh, and yeah, 6 day cruise lol.

Hmm, Sami I will think about good gifts and get back to you! :) What does he like, and what have you given him so far?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kara: Very nice! I almost got a Versa
  • Options
    kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    Cab: No AC? How can a car not have one at all? I had to get  an automatic, H's car is a stick, I tried learning but it's just too damn complicated and I left my old SUV back at my parents', we knew we'd get me a new car when we got here anyway. H really wants a Camaro but only wants it in a stick which means I won't be able to drive it! ugh. Which ports will you be hitting up besides PR? Let me know how it goes, we would really like to go on a cruise for our anniversary if the Navy's schedule permits that is. 

Katelyn: Thanks, it's a really nice car. 

I better go to sleep. I'll see you girls in the morning!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We will just be going to Puerto Vallarta and Cabo... I guess since most of Mexico is sketchy right now, that's all that we're allowed through the cruise. It used to be 3 stops, although I forget where the third one was. Anyway, I will let you know how it goes!
  • Options
    IrishcurlsIrishcurls member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Morning ladies! I could NOT drag myself out of bed this morning and I couldn't figure out why H was still in bed at 6am, totally forgot he has a PT appt this morning so we got some cuddle time! But now it's just a long stretch of work week...bleh.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I was not around last night but here I am today.  I was busy writing a paper for my second to last masters class.  YAY!! I can't wait for that to be over. 

Yesterday afternoon I had a skype date with the H.  It was great we talked for along time and then in the middle of my story that stupid internet went out.  I assume on his end since I was still fully online.  I tried to call back but it just kept saying busy or what ever.  BOO!!!  I will be happy with the time I did get to see his face and hear his voice. 

Sami- right there with you in that boat.  I have no idea what to send H for Christmas becuase it is not like he can use any thing I would typically get him. 

CAB- yay for paid in full!!! That is awesome! I had a wonderful yet sick feeling when I handed over our check.  I just kept thinking that is a lot of money. 

Kara- yay for new cars!  I love when I get a new one.  Have you done the parking lot look back?  You know when you get out of the car, walk away and then do a quick look back to say hey that's my new car.  HA

• Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey ladies!  Missed you all this weekend.  We watched "Hocus Pocus" on Saturday night and I was aching to rush on here and go, "It's on TV!!!!!" but I couldn't... because my computer was in Miami and we were in Tampa! 

We decided spontaneously on Saturday morning to drive up to Tampa (4.5 hours).  Within 15 minutes of saying "Why don't we...?", we threw some clothes and toothbrushes in a bag, reserved a hotel room on Priceline Negotiator for $45, and were in the car!!!  It was awesome!  Got in around 3pm on Saturday, went to an Oktoberfest which was great.  We got in for free since FI had a military ID, then some guy bought our first round since he figured out FI is a Marine based on his haircut.  Sooooo many people stopped and thanked FI for his service, it was super easy to chat with people, people were friendly and considerate and nice.  It was honestly like a whole different world!

Then we went to the World of Beer and drank microbrews for a bit, which was awesome.  I need one of those near my house.  The weather was awesome - chilly and refreshing, so it actually felt a bit like fall!  We ordered Chinese food (which was AWESOME and there's no good Chinese places near us at all, so we were all "Nom nom this is AMAZING nom nom nom") and watched Hocus Pocus.

And then on Sunday, we went to Busch Gardens - free entrance for military and up to 4 family/friends!  So we got in for free, spent the whole day going on coasters, and ate a delicious barbecue lunch which was actually really good.  We bought PowerBall tickets on our way home, and spent literally 4 hours of the drive talking about what we'd do if we actually won.  At least we got our entertainment out of those $2!

It's gonna be realllllllly hard to get through this week when all I want is to go back to Tampa!

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey ladies! Happy Halloween!

I haven't been on as much lately because they are monitoring the internet sites we visit while we are working so that really sucks. We didn't do too much this weekend, nothing as exciting as Tampa! FI had a guys night Friday after I went riding. Saturday I  worked for a few hours and then we had a Halloween party we went to and I got a little too drunk. I don't normally drink more than a glass or two of wine or a margarita here or there. So I woke up Sunday extremely hungover which gave us an awesome excuse to have a lazy day which I loved! I even made funfetti Halloween cupcakes :) but that was our weekend, now its back to the grind! 

Kara- yay for a new car! How exciting! How do you like it compared to the SUV? We are thinking about getting rid of my Jeep for a more practical gas car and I'm nervous!

Cab- yay for paying off your venue! And your honeymoon sounds like its going to be so much fun!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    uuuuugh I'm with you irish... my bod is like Monday? Eff that.
    I woke up to such a dirty kitchen this morning because we were watching random Halloween movies while eating dinner, so we didn't clean up. ick. I hate a dirty kitchen.

Kara yay for a new car!

Cab yay for finishing the favors! That sounds like an awesome favor idea! :) I have never heard of champagne in jam, but maybe I need to check this thing out :) Recipe site?

Samij- I'm so glad you got a skype date with H! Sounds like he's missing you big time. Another skype date in your future? :)
  • Options
    kara811kara811 member
    edited December 2011
    Morning everyone! I had a hard time getting up this morning too, I definitely lazed around in bed for about an hour before actually getting up. It's gotten a lot colder here over the weekend and I love to just snuggle in bed when weather is like that, but H gets up at 5am for work though. 

Cab: Oh that sucks that there's only 2 stops instead of 3 but I am sure you'll still have fun in PV and Cabo! Which cruise line are you going with and what port will you be coming from? I know most of them leave of out Long Beach. My parents went on a cruise cruise last year and they loved it. H and I are thinking of going on a Caribbean cruise since we are on the East Coast now and we both haven't been there yet anyway. We want to do the cruise/beachy vacation for the anniversary since we did Italy for the HM, this was our other choice then, so at least we get to do it still. 

Crown: Yes I have! It still feels a bit weird too because when I'm out nowadays and get out to the parking lot, most of the time I am either looking for my old car or H's car and not this new one! haha 

Calindi: What an awesome weekend! I can't believe the Busch Gardens there have up to 4 family/friends free, out here they only allow AD a free entry. The Sea World in SD do the same thing too for AD and their family members. 

Amh: It's different and will take some time getting used to since I've only ever been an SUV person but I love it! Unlike other cars where I can't see out the front or back since I am so little, this one I can see everything and it drives so smoothly! And gas mileage was a huge plus in buying the new car since my old one would give me maybe 16mpg on the streets while this one goes up to 30mpg street/38mpg hwy. We went with a car this time since it is a lot more practical but in the future sometime, probably when we do start having kids I will switch to an SUV again but this won't be for a very long time still. lol 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    FTL, I modified the recipe to my liking so that it would be less "too sweet" and more tart, to where you can really taste the berries and a hint of champagne. Here it is:

2 cups chopped strawberries
    1 1/2 mixed berries, chopped (I used raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries)
    1/2 cup dry champagne (doesn't matter how cheap the champagne is, I used good 'ol Andres! LOL)
    2 3/4 cups of sugar (the original recipe called for 7 CUPS! Holy moly that was a lot of sugar!)
    1 pkg of Pectin (or 3 tbsp if you got the larger sized bottle like I did)- Use the low to no sugar pectin.
    1/2 cup lemon juice (

Ok, put the berries, champagne, pectin and lemon juice in a non reactive, large saucepan. Cook on high until you get a rolling boil. Once that is achieved, add the sugar. Let that boil (1-2 minutes.) 

DONE! Now can them. (Boil them in their jars for 10 minutes, then leave them alone for 24 hrs.)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    mmmm thank you dear :)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Calindi, nice to hear a good review of Tampa!! It's H's first choicefor next time, even though his first four choices ACTUALLY were the Boston area for me. But I'm not looking forward to the possibility of living in Tampa....Sounds like a really fun weekend!!

CAB, might have to try that recipe!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Good Afternoon/Morning Ladies!!
    I'm getting ready to put some chili in the crock pot, and then I'm going to snuggle with the kitty cat, and probably take a nap.  I've been sleeping terribly lately, like I can't ever get enough sleep because I wake up with lots of tension in my neck and jaw which then usually leads to a headache.  I'm debating going to the dentist to get one of those mouth guard things, or just going and getting one from walmart.. I mean.. really is there a huge difference?  Any suggestions?

@CAB: So far I've gotten him "A Christmas Story" on Blu-ray (his favorite Christmas Movie.. he literally watches it non stop when it's on tv, but it won't be on tv in Japan), and a Penguin PillowPet Peewee (Last year when he got home for the wedding, we went to walmart and got a Penguin one and then we would fight over it, when he went back he let me keep it with me), so I got him the little mini baby one.  He's really hard to buy for because usually when he wants something, he just buys it for himself!  I'm thinking about making him something, like this: Clicky or maybe this: Clicky

@FTL: It was a GREAT Skype Date.  We're planning to have another one on Wednesday, unless he heads back to base from his det on Wednesday, then it's on Friday. 

Our neighbors just told me that we don't get any trick or treaters so that makes me a bit sad.  Oh well! We shall feast on Chilli and Cornbread and Halloween candy!! I am sooo loving the fall weather, and the trees! I Love Love Love Fall!!

Photobucket
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sami, I'm a grinder and my dentist recommended the pharmacy ones--seriously all it's doing is easing the tension by preventing you from clenching so I see no need for a spendy one. Plus, if you try the cheap route first and get no relief, at least you know you tried it before getting a "real" one. That sucks though, I hope it gives you some relief!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sami, I was told back when I was first diagnosed with grinding my teeth to get a football one where you melt it to fit your mouth.  It worked really well, but then I went and got Invisalign, and that does the job, too!

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sami- grinder here too and a really bad one.  I tried the ones at the drug store but needed to get the one from the dentist since they didn't last that long for me.  I think the one I have now is made of the same type of matrial as the Invisalign.  One of my friends is doing that and it looks to be the same type of material. 

I will say that once I got the new one I have not woken up with a headache or sore jaw. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got one of the ones that you boil and I did it, my only concern now is that, and this might be TMI, but I have a horrible gag reflex (poor HWink)  Like even while I had it in my mouth for the 2 minutes I was gagging and my dad was laughing at me.. 

Ughh.. I'm not sure how this is going to work, I'm going to try it, but I'm afraid of gagging in my sleep or something..

CAB- I Like the first one too, but I don't see the point in paying $50 + shipping when I could probably do that myself.. and if not perhaps my good friend Calindi could help me out with it!!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    CAB- I just realized that I'm a total b word! I never said congrats on being Paid in Full!!!! Yay for youu!!!! and I'll pm you my address so you can be sure to get my jam to meWink  My mom and I LOOOVVEE to make jam together, we do it every fall!! and up until recently I always called it "jarring" instead of canning.. because I mean... You're putting it in jars!!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    O.o
    Omg sami I kinda hate you now because now I'm craving chili and cornbread.. lol.
    The only reason I don't fully hate you for it, is because I pretty laughed out loud on your gag reflex.. bahahaha

Yay for a soon-to-be-another-skype date. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    FTL- It's really bad!! When I was Boot, when we went to Dental all the corpsmen were like "Look out we've got a gagger" and they put it on my dental record so every time I went to dental everyone got a good chuckle.. it followed me the whole time!! so embarrassing!!

It was AMAZING Chili btw (Fresh Garlic makes all the difference!! though it's a b!tch to get the smell off your hands!!)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OMG that's awful and hilarious at the same time bahahahahaa
      />_< Not a good thing you want the Active duty guys to know.. or.. any guys for that matter...
    mmmmmm... I love everything garlicy but H doesn't... *sigh*.. I'm training him though:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards