Vermont

Do I need a reality check?

Hi All-

I've been engaged about a month- and I feel like I'm going about things completely wrong.

My fiance and I contacted 14 different locations for wedding information.  We called or e-mailed these places asking for additional information, and if we could come view the property in person. Of the 14, six have not bothered to return our calls or requests for information. Of those that did initally respond- three called back at least a week after our inital contact, and have not responded since despite multiple attempts on our part. (By the way the remaining five have been wonderful to deal with)

I suppose it's good that we know how unresponsive some of these vendors are early on so that we don't discover thier lack of concern a week before the wedding. However,  I'm wondering if anyone else is having similar issues.  Are venues just so booked up that they don't need our buisness?  Or like I said before- am I going about this the wrong way???

Is it just the venues that are difficult to get ahold of, or do I get to look forward to this struggle in all aspects of planning our vendors? I'm concerned that my inability to get information on vendors is going to result in making some very uninformed decisions.  I was told by a friend last night that $3500 was standard for photographers.  Really??? 

Anyone who can comiserate or give me tips, ball park pricing averages, anything it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!!!

Re: Do I need a reality check?

• GiddyBride23GiddyBride23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think a great venue will reply regardless of how busy they are ... all the venues I contacted replied within a day or so. I think you ARE going about it the right way - contact them with your questions and once they reply, you can follow-up with other concerns/questions. A vendor that doesn't reply now MAY not be as responsive as you need when your date is near. I'd avoid them!

Photographers range - it depends on what you want. We were quoted from $500 to over $3,000.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Where in Vermont are you? We had mixed success with vendors contacting us, and ultimately, we chose the ones that were the easiest to be in touch with and most responsive to our questions and needs.  As far as photography, ours is costing $1100 for an entire day's worth of shooting and the digital negatives.  We did find some much higher prices than that, but again, sometimes for less value.  Good luck with your search!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    You are going about your search the right way, I think.  But keep in mind that this is the height of wedding season in Vermont right now.  The vendors may be giving priority to their brides and grooms getting married right now.  Something you would want them to do for you. 
    image Meghan-Marrying Rick May 28, 2011. Yayy!
  • shoutailentlyshoutailently member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have noticed that sometimes the email address on the website isnt the email for the person dealing with weddings.  I have had some confusion with that.  Emails getting overlooked and sent to the wrong person.  Sometimes it takes awhile to get back to you.
  • edited December 2011
    No you are doing it right. A lot of the places I contacted for my fall 2011 wedding are already booking up so you need to get a move on. Dont get discouraged. Mabe those places arent meant for you.
  • subdolasubdola member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_vermont_need-reality-check?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:131Discussion:f63faca4-c747-4ba6-bb59-58513df8b55dPost:2016f80d-09fe-484c-b4f6-7d0853e591d7">Re: Do I need a reality check?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where in Vermont are you? We had mixed success with vendors contacting us, and ultimately, we chose the ones that were the easiest to be in touch with and most responsive to our questions and needs. Posted by starrynight1658[/QUOTE]

This. 

I had a shockingly difficult time reaching some vendors, and as an out of state bride, I was more than happy to take my money to whoever took the best care of me and my questions.  A good business that has their act together and wants your money will get back to you promptly.  Just keep forging ahead and then start asking vendors you book for suggestions of other vendors (my caterer recommended my florist, the photographer recommended the dj, etc etc, they actually gave us a few names as leads in some cases). 
    We're currently on a 15 month trip around the world!
    **Check out our travel blog**
    Planning Bio Married Bio
  • edited December 2011
    i agree--this is the busiest time for VT weddings, so vendors are probably running around like chickens with their heads cut off!  but you are doing the right thing, you just need to be persistent!  i felt like a harassed my vendors with so many questions, and to make sure they were on top of everything.

where in VT are you looking to get married?  aside from a few years in CA, i have lived in VT my whole life, I would love to give you some suggestions.  the best place to find me is the sept. 2010 board.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks all.  I live in Middlebury but we covered the whole state, from St. Johnsbury to Ludlow. We did have a handful of places that did return our calls, and ultimately I think we will be choosing between the two places that were the most responsive and enthusastic.  It's nice to get some reassurances that I'm not a complete crazy person yet!
  • edited December 2011
    I live in MIddlebury, too (well, Weybridge actually), and I would be more than happy to share my thoughts on our vendors from our wedding last weekend.  Let me know if you want to chat more! Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011

Good customer service should start with your very first contact with a venue...I say go with a venue that is at least willing to respond to your inquiry. I can't stand rudeness from any company. Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards