West Virginia

Any Brides that had a wedding/reception at Oglebay??????

I am trying to get in touch with a bride who has had their wedding at Oglebay. I have been tryng to get a hold of Shirley.. who is in sales, but seems she doesn't wanna meet in person to go over prices or a contract. She wants to do everything threw email or mail. Her times are also not very accomodating 12-5 durring the week and 1 sat a month. I'm not sure if she's new or not... reviews for oglebay are good... but I'm not giving my money to someone who can't give me their time. So sad this might be a deal breaker on my venue. :( Can someone message or email me [email protected] 

Thank You, 
Chelsea

Re: Any Brides that had a wedding/reception at Oglebay??????

• Hello, I don't know much about Oglebay for weddings, other than it's beautiful, but if you go somewhere else, go to Lakeview or Stonewall. Personally, i would chose lakeview cause my cousin talked to a woman there and they're really nice people. And i went there for a couple bridal shows and their food is amazing. I'm not picky though. I would also reccomend Valley Falls, but unless you want to rent the pavilions and picnik tables you could have the reception somewhere else. I considered it cause I got my engagement photos taken in the gazebo and it's just beauitful. My friend got married there right beside the waterfalls.But it will all depend on the time of yr your wedding is. Personally, I think it has to feel just right, you and your vendor. I would keep looking until you've found just the right place where they make you feel excited, not stressed! Smile

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I also tried to get in touch with Shirley. She and the sales team were so unaccomidating. That, along with some of the policies that they have for example moving your venue to another location in the park if they get a larger event on the same day, made me look elsewhere. I was really excited about having my wedding there since we had our first date at the festival of lights. I am having mine at The Wheeling Artisan Center and I have had a positive sales/ service experience and you can't beat the price per person.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_west-virginia_any-brides-that-had-a-weddingreception-at-oglebay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:132Discussion:ebd63040-7bfd-4b7e-ab97-77be784167bbPost:d7d766a3-f0ae-46d3-a0ab-1c1f292d9aea">Re:Any Brides that had a wedding/reception at Oglebay??????</a>:
    [QUOTE]I also tried to get in touch with Shirley. She and the sales team were so unaccomidating. That, along with some of the policies that they have for example moving your venue to another location in the park if they get a larger event on the same day, made me look elsewhere. I was really excited about having my wedding there since we had our first date at the festival of lights. I am having mine at The Wheeling Artisan Center and I have had a positive sales/ service experience and you can't beat the price per person.
    Posted by jma4270[/QUOTE]

<div>She is ONLY there Tues-Fri til 5. And 1,  Sat a month!!! How the heck is that accomodating to ANY bride?!! I really want to have my wedding there cause it's exactly what I want. Rustic, and I can do everything in one spot. I am meeting with her Aug 10th at 6. That's the best she could do. I have not heard of that policy about moving my venue, I'll have to mention that! Thank You for the information. </div>
  • So let me start by saying DISAPPOINTED. I was looking for a "rustic" wedding venue and decided to go look at Oglebay. (I work 6 days a week.. as I'm saving for a wedding) So I had talked to Shirley (who is in charge of wedding sales, and apparently the only person to go to for weddings) She told me to come down on a Sunday (my day off) and someone would be there to show me around. Went down Sunday, they said no one was there to show me around, but they will find some one. A very nice bell boy showed me everything and was as helpful as he could be. (Although a little bothered I had thought someone who could give me "wedding" information would be there.) I fell in love with the Glessner Ballroom!! 

Traveling a little over an hour there, I made it clear I needed to meet with Shirley. Wanting my parents to go... I had to make an appointment on Saturday (which she only works 1 Sat a month... and Tues - Fri till 5, so unaccommodating!!) Saturday morning came along.. my parents, my fiancé and his parents have all taken off work / made arrangements so they were sure to be included in the plans. Got a phone call at 7 am saying there was a storm and she could not meet with us, but AGAIN someone would be there to show us around. Aggravated, we decided to all make the drive knowing there was a wedding set up which we could see, and could show our parents. 
    We were shown around by David, who is a wedding coordinator. He was very nice and helpful, but could not answer many questions on prices. 

So when Shirley got back to me, I told her I would like to meet with her to go over prices and other questions. She wrote me and e-mail saying she deals with brides who have Oglebay as a destination wedding, and have never seen the place. So with me seeing it twice she didn't see why I wanted to come down a third time, but she would meet with me if I wanted. 

Arranged our schedule,  FOR THE 3RD TIME to sit down with Shirley to go over the prices, which I have been trying to do ALL along. So we sit down, NOT in an office, on a couch in a lounge area and she proceeds to tell me.. for the Glessner Ballroom there is a $15,000 minimum for FOOD and BEVERAGES!!!!!!!! Meanwhile a month ago she wrote me an e-mail saying I wouldn't need to come down again and she could send me the contract and I would send it back to her with the $500 deposit, NOTHING ABOUT A MINIMUM!!!! 

All of this has cost me 3 months of wedding planning,  3 months I had my heart set on having my wedding there. We drove down there 3 times, and after 6 hours of driving tells me there is a MINIMUM that just went into effect 2 months ago. And she FORGOT to tell me!!!!!

I WAS planning on having my bachlorette party at the spa, golfing for guys, rehearsal dinner, ceremony, and reception of 175 there (inviting 200), and guests renting lodge rooms and cottages. 

I'm glad I made arrangements with her to talk with her, in person, over prices before I signed the contract. Who knows if it would be in the fine print!!! Just a shame it wasted 3 months of my wedding planning on Oglebay! 

• Hello-

I'm not sure what you've decided about Oglebay, but as a Wheeling native I'll say look at wheeling park. It's location is easier to find, they have several options for places to rent, and i think it's more rustic. We're having our wedding at a shelter in the park, followed by reception in the same place. All for a mere $200. It's super cheap, but we have to do everything ourselves, which gives us the option to customize EVERYTHING. Our wedding's in 25 days and I am done with everything except the final counts for caterer and bar supplies. The only bad part, we have to decorate the place the morning of the wedding since it's a public space, but that helped keep things rustic and simple. Hope this helps! :)
  • In Response to Re: Any Brides that had a wedding/reception at Oglebay??????:
    No wonder I haven't been able to get through! Thanks for the info. I'm coming from CO to have the wedding there, do you guys know of any other places that have an outdoor area?
  • I can echo those complaints about Shirley. However, we were recently informed that she is retiring soon, so that may have something to do with her reduced hours (though you would think that perhaps her replacement would be there to round out the times). 

Anyway, I too was concerned about the level of service at Oglebay given my experience with her, but I have found the wedding coordinator I was assigned to be delightful. She is prompt and answers my questions thoroughly and I feel very comfortable with them hosting our big celebration!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards