Wyoming
Options

Anyone here??

Hey I'm a new Wyo bride and I was just wondering if anyone was still active on this board...
Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket

Re: Anyone here??

• Options
    miss*musicmiss*music member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well I'm trying to be!  :
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm here too! I was not sure if anyone from Wyoming was really on here either.
  • Options
    FutureMrsSADFutureMrsSAD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    im starting to get the feeling this is a very inactive board...but i guess that happens when the whole state has a population of less than 500,000 people
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I check it out every now and again.  But yeah, there aren't enough of us for there to be much activity.
  • Options
    mlenoir1mlenoir1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just got married in Jackson Hole on 6/11/11 and then headed up to W. Yellowstone for a few days.  This is my first day back.  I have TONS of advice and feedback if it will help anyone! 

If anyone wants to chat, I'm willing.  I'm from CA and spent nearly 10 hrs a day for 9 months on my plans.  I also spent way more money than I had planned to have both sides of our family come out here for a family-style vacation & U.S. destination wedding.  I set up dinners each night, paid for all the accommodations, had custom made invitations made, etc.  I did all th work despite having a wedding planner.  Let's just say that due to all the work, my husband & I became travel agents as a result!

• Options
    mlenoir1mlenoir1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, here's my email address:  ABsnRing@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    mlenoir1mlenoir1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep, I paid for everything except for airfare.  Well, actually I gave gift certificates to the Best Man & my Matron of Honor to cover airfare and expenses too.

For anyone ever interested in reviewing locations often listed and used in Jackson Hole for ceremony/receptions, I have A LOT of pictures of nearly every wedding place advertised and photographed in the area, detailed feedback of each site, restaurant ideas, some menus, or the ones I used, ideas and DIY things for gift bags, vendor feedback, and contract/insurance advice. 

Looking back, I would NEVER had hired a wedding planner other than for advice on where to go and who to visit with.  I did ALL of all the work on establishing contracts with the vendors and I just sent updates to the planner I used!!  The updates just cost me thousands of $$ and my family and friends ended up managing everything the week of.  The person I had hired, hands down reportedly the best in the entire area according to everyone we spoke with, was just a yellowpages who went around to my meetings, took notes, but was rarely there to organize or manage anything in the end, review contracts for accuracy, or give me outlines on the meeting or notes.  I didn't hire just a day-off service but that's all I ended up getting.  My husband & I discussed this and swore that if we move in that region, we would do this as a living since we now worked so close with all the vendors, hotel/resort managers, and restaurant managers.  Plus, since we're travel agents now, we can negotiate more discounts. 

One lesson I learned is... this area (due to the fact it's mostly a seasonal town) has extremely HIGH turnover on staff.  Everytime I opened a paper, I saw it.  As a result, I had to hire an outside catering company.  This was due to the fact that after months of dealing with various staff membersand outlining every type of menu idea I could think of to assist them, the reception facility hired yet another new Head Chef the week I flew out for my tasting.  The only portions that worked were the ones I sent recipes or advice on.  The new catering company did an outstanding job though and I would highly recommend them.  My guests were practically licking the plates clean!!  

Again, I'd be so very happy to share what I can to save people money, hassle, and time.  I never had hives until I experienced my own wedding planning!  I also never had back problems until I went there and threw out my back carrying all my wedding files to meetings!  Save yourself the problems and let me know if I can help you in any way possible!
  • Options
    mlenoir1mlenoir1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No.  Not a wedding planner but planned a $100K wedding + a reception back here in CA.  If you question my offering of advice to save others money, you have issues! 

I consider it a seasonal town when the ski season closes on April 1st and vendors leave for vacation for nearly 2 months.  EVERYONE I worked with encouraged me to have a wedding in July, August and the beginning of Sept. when weather is more appropriate for weddings.  No one liked the idea of June.  I was actually the 1st wedding of the year for many of the vendors, at some places I went to the new "summer staff" were actually trained at my event for when they open for the summer.  Yes, it's very seasonal there when places closed down for the winter and then a new staff shows up for the summer.  The airport was filled with staff arriving to work on the area ranches and restaurants.       
  • Options
    kboyer84kboyer84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey!

I'm here!  Just starting to plan my destination wedding in Jackson Hole for Summer 2012!  Looking at hosting the ceremony at Spring Creek Ranch & following it up with a reception at the Granary Restaurant!  I used to live up in Yellowstone National Park & later on in Missoula, MT, but now my fiance and I are down in Albuquerque, NM... so, we want to head back north for an awesome adventure since all our guests will be coming from a huge variety of places across the country.  Can't wait to show them all the enchantment of Jackson & the Tetons.

Hit me up about any wedding planning stuff!
    ~Katie
  • Options
    mlenoir1mlenoir1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Katie -  I tried to post here earlier but the server hung up and I lost everything.  I'll make this post short...

If you haven't contact anyone at SCR, let me know.  I can send you the contacts of the people I met or contacted.  Granary wanted $15,000 for a farewell brunch for 35 people!  I have some other recommendation you might consider.  I also don't recommend staying at Spring Creek for a number of reasons (space, noise, bad pillows and beds) but it was a nice place for an outdoor wedding.  I can send you my outline of all the places I visited in JH with pros & cons of each w/ pictures if you like.  Just email me.

~ Michelle ~
    ABsnRing@hotmail.com

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm also in Wyo and just got engaged two weeks ago- looking for any tips and advice from other Wyo brides =D
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi all! I'm from Oregon and just recently got engaged while on vacation in Wyoming. Planning our wedding for Etna, Wyoming (60 miles from Jackson) in July of 2012! Need tips for photographers, mainly! We are on a tight budget, but want someone who will do fun and creative photos!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_wyoming_anyone-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:134Discussion:bf0c6c05-609d-4106-a7d9-de0daa3a0a29Post:576e2a2b-6e9d-4dac-8250-147083544676">Re: Anyone here??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi all! I'm from Oregon and just recently got engaged while on vacation in Wyoming. Planning our wedding for Etna, Wyoming (60 miles from Jackson) in July of 2012! <strong>Need tips for photographers, mainly!</strong> We are on a tight budget, but want someone who will do fun and creative photos!
    Posted by 6billionsouls[/QUOTE]
    I'm using Ashley Wilkerson. My wedding isn't until next month, but I love the photos I've seen of hers and she's incredibly nice and responsible. She was more affordable than anyone else I found:<div><a href="http://www.ashleywilkerson.com/">http://www.ashleywilkerson.com/</a></div>
  • Options
    GayWGayW member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

For anyone in Cheyenne --  Please save yourself heartache and headaches and don't use Perfect Weddings by Olivia as a wedding planner (we paid her A LOT of money and she did not hold up her end of the contract - she sued us and WE won - the judge even reprimanded her several times during court for her behavior and poorly written contract).  Also Rock-on-Wheels for the DJ was terrible!  The Camera Man was awesome for bridal pictures and We Cater Wyoming's food was superb!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Balletdawn,

Thank you so much for the referal! She does have amazing pictures! I hope to be in contact with her soon. Congratulations on your big day that is soon approaching and hope you have a wonderful time!
  • Options
    saraj1022saraj1022 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was born and raised in Sacramento too! Came here to plan my wedding and was Overly underwhelmed!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm from Wisconsin, got engaged in Wyoming this spring and am planning my wedding for August 4, 2012 in Grand Teton National Park.  Anybody have any recommendations for lodging around Jackson?  
  • Options
    ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Live in Utah, but FI's favorite place is the Tetons.  He is very much into alpine mountaineering.  Did the Middle Teton last month.

We are currently trying to decide if having our ceremony and reception at Dornan's is "enough" for all of our out of town guests who will have to fly into Jackson Airport.  It's a casual venue, mainly outdoors under a pavilion (pavilion has drop down walls and heat umbrellas in case of weather).  I just hope it's enough for them for all their travels.  I plan to have a Friday night outing as well as a Sunday rafting trip to kind of make up for a non-formal wedding.

What do you all think?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that sounds great Gina. We did a whitewater raft/camping trip on Thurs., rehearsal followed by dinner at our house Fri., weddingn Sat. Then Sunday we pretty much cleaned/packed everything up but we did have dinner with family.

Here are some pics from Saturday!

• Options
    ginadogginadog member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dawn, I was thinking of you!  Congratulations, married lady! 

Are you going to make a post about your wedding?  I would love to hear all about it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_wyoming_anyone-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:134Discussion:bf0c6c05-609d-4106-a7d9-de0daa3a0a29Post:e807ec43-ba24-402d-9976-23f5f340a6f2">Re: Anyone here??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dawn, I was thinking of you!  Congratulations, married lady!  Are you going to make a post about your wedding?  I would love to hear all about it!
    Posted by ginadog[/QUOTE]
    Thanks! I'll make a post tomorrow maybe - I've been off of work so not on the computer too much. The last of the friends & family are flying out in the morning so normal life will resume!
  • Options
    Winter, winter, winter...any suggestions for ceremony/reception sites for winter in Jackson? I feel that once I have the venue down, it might all be a bit easier, but winter is proving difficult. Suggestions?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards