Not Engaged Yet

New Friends?

Le sigh...Has anyone else gotten to a point in their lives when they look around at their friends and feel like they only hang out anymore out of habit, like the spark is gone? I feel like I'm from a different planet lately...I'm 25 so maybe I've either moved on to a new stage of life without them, or they moved on and I'm left behind.
image image image image 
"but you're SO FUNNY, button! you're so funny i kind of want to crawl into your skin and wear it as my own. " - NarwhalYou, my dear, are the Queen of the Beebees. Here's a tiara - Oceana 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: New Friends?

• edited December 2011
    do you feel that way because of your relationship? that is, i love my friends but i feel distant from them lately becasue no one is at the point in their lives that i am at...im the only one in a serious relationship and the only one discussing and preparing for marriage...it gets lonely, and plus i feel like sometimes they get annoyed because they cant relate whcih kinda sucks
  • edited December 2011
    I thought about that and I'm pretty sure it's not because of my relationship.Mostly it's just that when we have conversations I feel like the odd man out all the time. Like we just have completely different thought processes. They all turned 25 and got sparkley new brains from the barbie factory and I kept the one I've been using my whole life.
    image image image image 
    "but you're SO FUNNY, button! you're so funny i kind of want to crawl into your skin and wear it as my own. " - NarwhalYou, my dear, are the Queen of the Beebees. Here's a tiara - Oceana 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    They all turned 25 and got sparkley new brains from the barbie factory and I kept the one I've been using my whole life.LOL! Now you've given me a quote to use.And my answer is yes. Yes I do feel that way. The only person I feel like I can still have the same kind of relationship with is my best friend/cousin. She has two kids, is married, and still remains the same girl I grew up with.... loud music, fast driving, and all.I miss her... I live far away. :(Maybe I'll call her today.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Glad I could be of service. :-)I pretty much have one friend that I don't think has been taken over by the pod people but she's in the beginning stages of a relationship with a really good guy so she's running around in fields with butterflies or whatever you do when you first fall for someone. I think I'll call her too. 
    image image image image 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    i completely feel the same way, and i just turned 25 this week. it makes me sad because you always think "oh, that will never happen to us" in terms of growing up and apart from friends... but i guess that is just part of life in some aspects. i never understood why my parents had drifted apart from so many of the friends they had when i was younger and i said that would never happen to me, but it has... i think people just get on their own agenda and life-plans and before you know it you haven't talked to someone in months... i hate it!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in the opposite boat, living in Norway, I miss having my life long friends around me.  And therefor love spending the limited time with them and picking up where we left off. Maybe it would have been different if I would have stuck around, but be glad you have friends... what does the sunscreen song say?? Be kind to your friends. The older you get the more you will need the people who know you when you were young.
  • edited December 2011
    Wow Norway you just gave me goosebumps, I was thinking about that song this morning...
    image image image image 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Well I'm on the fast track then because I'm only 22 and I feel the same way! My "closest" friends haven't changed at all since we were 17, too bad I have. None of them understand a long term relationship. One friend who's in the Army actually got mad at me for getting engaged. He's planning on extending his stay in Korea just so he misses the wedding. Does that sound childish to anyone else?
  • edited December 2011
    Twinkie, when I was 21/22 I almost completely changed the crowd of people I hung out with. There was a line between those of us who were over the high school type drama and immaturity and those who weren't. It was a bit easier than this because at least I had other people who had grown up at the same pace I had. Unfortunately it's those same people right now that I feel like I'm slipping away from.And yeah, your "friend" sounds like an immature dbag.
    image image image image 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm so glad you agree about him being a dbag!! There must be something in the water here that freezes people in time because I can only think of one person (who moved away) that has changed at all.
  • edited December 2011
    I suspect sometimes that it is a comfort thing. If enough people around you haven't moved on than what's going to make you want to? I find that to be unfortunate because for those people who have moved on it's rather lonely.
    image image image image 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Very true!! 
  • trevette1981trevette1981 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I feel the same way. We're all 28, one is married with a kid, the other has a kid and me and another are in serious relationships, so it's none of that type of thing.It just seems like, the older we get, the less I hang out with them. We live in different cities, but still get together soem of the time. I just dont have anything to talk to them about. I've felt that way since I was 25. Still dragging it.lolI think all relationships get like that at one point. People are in your life for a lifetime or season. Just depends on which one they are.
  • edited December 2011
    Me and all my friends and pushing 30 and even the girls who have husbands and kids, we all consider each other family.  And it's great having friends in all walks of life, engaged, pregnant, single and wild.  It keeps you well rounded and always gives you an excuse to go out and get together or party.  We started to drift away after college at 24-25 also.  I realized soon after that the older you get the more effort it takes to stay in touch, so we all just had to try a little harder.  Soon we were emailing daily.  So make plans and it is never too much of a burdon to just make a phone call. I think that the spark will stay there as long as you all make the effort :) 
  • KA2KA2
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm kind of half and half. I have a group of my single friends who are not in any serious relationships and then I have those that are either engaged or already married with kids or kids on the way. I guess because I'm in a serious relationship and the bf and I have talked about marriage and all that - I feel myself more drawn to the other group of friends more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards