Not Engaged Yet

Feel like our situation is rushing/pushing us into getting married

Hi all, My boyfriend and I are considering eloping for immigration reasons. The gist of the story is that we have two choices: get married ASAP and start a life together or spend an indefinite amount of time (years) separated by a very expensive, 13-hour flight. Our relationship is really strong, but I think the latter situation is enough to break many relationships. We've already started on all the paperwork. The idea is to elope once the visa goes through so he can live with me in the U.S. permanently. We haven't told our friends and family about the decision yet, mainly because we know this is super fast (we've been dating less than a year) and we want to announce our decision to spend the rest of our lives together (whether that comes in the form of an engagement or a "look, we eloped!" announcement) when we've been together a bit longer. Although I've gotten to know his family pretty well, he hasn't even had a chance to meet mine yet. His family knows how in love we are, but I want him to get to know mine before even thinking about breaking the news. Maybe it's not true, but it feels like the choice right now is get married or lose each other forever. I know that I want to be with this man but 1) feel pressured into speeding up our timeline for legal reasons 2) feel sad and extremely ambivalent about keeping this a secret from my family (we'd obviously tell them eventually, but I've never hidden something this big from anyone before and it feels wrong) 3) but am reluctant to say, "hey guys, we're getting married even though we're not 100% sure that this is the right time, because I have to get my man a visa"--I imagine all the skepticism we'd have to overcome, not to mention the fact that it's completely unromantic 4) don't want to have to abandon my dream of a big, beautiful wedding with loved ones (which, according to everything I've read, is what happens when you elope, else you risk appearing like a gift-grubbing, selfish little princess). I know this man is the love of my life and I do want to marry him. I just feel trapped and like this isn't happening how or when I wanted it to. I feel like this is out of my control. The big hope was that we could get married in secret, minimize the act (telling ourselves, oh, this is just for legal reasons) and then get married "for real" at a later date in the not so distant future. I'm starting to think that's a really stupid idea, but can't see any alternative. P.S. I recently posted on the P&E board because I was distraught about this whole idea that if one elopes, reception out the window! I've had so much fun over the years helping my sister and some of my best friends get married, that the thought of not being able to share that moment with them and with all the traditions a "normal" wedding entails made me really sad. So did the thought of not involving my family. So did realizing that wanting those things after an elopement was so generally perceived as selfish, even if that elopement didn't feel like a real choice. To those of you who read my P&E post, inspired by tears and that weird place your brain goes at 4am, no sleep and lots of jet lag, I am sorry. I was very rude and so I suppose merited all the rude responses I received in turn. However, thanks to everyone who made an honest attempt to offer advice; it was much appreciated.

Re: Feel like our situation is rushing/pushing us into getting married

• edited December 2011
    You're extremely wordy.  But I will give you my opinion based on the reasons you listed for your hesitation.1) feel pressured into speeding up our timeline for legal reasons Then seriously don't rush into a marriage if you're under pressure.  My SIL married a foreigner that she met while in college but only after several years of long distance dating, the families meeting, etc. etc.  It's complicated but it can be done.2) feel sad and extremely ambivalent about keeping this a secret from my family (we'd obviously tell them eventually, but I've never hidden something this big from anyone before and it feels wrong) I can definitely understand that and while I think eloping can be romantic, the fact that your parents haven't even met this guy rubs me the wrong way.  I know my mom would NEVER get over something like that.3) but am reluctant to say, "hey guys, we're getting married even though we're not 100% sure that this is the right time, because I have to get my man a visa"--I imagine all the skepticism we'd have to overcome, not to mention the fact that it's completely unromantic This is kind of the same point as #1 but I feel like when  you elope you have to be able to confidently say "I did this because it was the right thing for me" despite any criticism and it doesn't sound like you'll be able to.4) don't want to have to abandon my dream of a big, beautiful wedding with loved ones (which, according to everything I've read, is what happens when you elope, else you risk appearing like a gift-grubbing, selfish little princess). That's just silly.  What would  you rather have, the perfect wedding or a perfect husband?  If it's the latter, please see my bio because my brother is single.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287
    imageimageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

My Blog

• pvegaspvegas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The body of the post is less than 500 words! I have to read 500-800 pages of text each week for my job, so perhaps that's skewed my sense of what is constitutes a novel... That's just silly. What would you rather have, the perfect wedding or a perfect husband? If it's the latter, please see my bio because my brother is single. 1. The perfect husband, of course, but I don't see what's silly about wanting a proper wedding. My sister's wedding remains to this day the best day of my life. I can't even begin to tell you how happy that would make my mom, how special it could be for me and my boyfriend to get married in the place where we fell in love, how disappointed she would be if that didn't happen. The only problem is that place is in his country, and if we went that route, between planning and navigating immigration regulations (which are different if you're already married), that would mean be a separated for years...longer than we've been together! 2. Super cute! You're brother's lucky to have you as his saleswoman. I really don't want to spend the next several years in a long distance relationship. I know some people have to do it, and maybe some are better at it than I am, but I find long distance relationships to be painful, distracting, and expensive. My boyfriend is in between jobs and it makes sense for him to move now. I've been thinking of: 1. Having boyfriend meet family (which he will have the chance to do in a couple of weeks) 2. Telling both of our families that we are planning on getting married, explain our reasoning, etc. That we want to elope (i.e., not have them there), because we feel like this is something we are just doing for the state, and we want to have a real wedding celebration in the future, when we're ready, have time to save and plan, and that we want them there to witness what we consider to be our *real* vows to each other. 3. Have an intimate ceremony and reception in boyfriend's country a year after our J.O.P. wedding with close family and friends.
  • edited December 2011
    Have you tried doing the long distance relationship yet?  as hard as it is I think you should probably wait a bit longer or at least until your family have met your BF.Long distance relationships are hard (I know, my BF works out of the country for about 7-8 months of the year) but they also allow you both space to work out what you really want and whether you want to get married because you want to spend the rest of your lives together or if getting married is just a knee-jerk reaction to the situation you are in.You don't say how old you are, I think in this instance age plays a big part in making the right decision.If what you really want is a big fairytale wedding to your fi then you're probably going to have to do the long distance thing and save up, if however you just want to be together then go for something small and intimate now, it doesn't have to be a secret
  • edited December 2011
    1. Having boyfriend meet family (which he will have the chance to do in a couple of weeks) Ok yes do that.2. Telling both of our families that we are planning on getting married, explain our reasoning, etc. That we want to elope (i.e., not have them there), because we feel like this is something we are just doing for the state, and we want to have a real wedding celebration in the future, when we're ready, have time to save and plan, and that we want them there to witness what we consider to be our *real* vows to each other. Well telling them you are planning on eloping sort of defeats the purpose of eloping I think but okay.3. Have an intimate ceremony and reception in boyfriend's country a year after our J.O.P. wedding with close family and friends. I don't get this part.  Either you're missing a comma or you are already inviting close family and friends to your J.O.P. wedding?  Or will close family and friends be invited to your vow renewal?I need a few more specifics.  How much more time do you have to make this decision?  Can you plan a wedding before then?  Call up some places and see if there are any cancellations.  Or ask about a Friday.
    TTC since 07/11 Me: 32 AO PCOS/DH: 32 Lowish count/motility IUI#1-3 = BFN (Clomid, Clomid-->Femara, Injects) IVF#1 ER on 9/24 19 ER/19 M/9 F w/ICSI Transferred a 5AA and a 5BB on 9/29 Beta 10/9 = 139 Beta 10/11 = 287

My Blog

• edited December 2011
    I think it boils down to whether based on your time together whether you can say he's the one and you are ready to get married. I have good friends that were in a similar situation in 5 years later, they are one of the healthiest couples I know. But the girl in that relationship did marry young, 23, and sometimes reflects, that she settled down a bit too soon, but of course says in her case, it was definitely worth it and loves the married life.If you marry, your life will change.  You will be a wife.IN regards, to an actual wedding, you can always sign the papers and have a ceremony with your friends and family much later. Best of luck.
  • edited December 2011
    And by the way, the only people that seem to be annoyed about getting married to sign papers and then having a wedding reception sometime afterward seem to be the people on this board... your friends, and family should be happy and supportive of you. But don't keep secrets from your family.
  • edited December 2011
    Ok ok ok, this is something I know about!Long distance relationships ARE HARD. That I will tell you, because I have had several. It is never easy. It always sucks to be away from the person you love.HOWEVER, it can also be very good for your relationship and make it much stronger. You work on what really matters-- excellent communication. You talk about everything under the sun, little stuff, big stuff, stuff in-between. It's really good.Also, moving to another state is hard enough. Hell-o, I did that. Moved across the country and I knew nobody but my BF (now FI). That was rough. It was rough on our relationship, too.However, moving to another country is BIGGER. This is not something to rush into. I've been to other countries, and had a boyfriend in England for 3 years. Other countries are awesome and traveling is excellent, but when one person picks up their whole life and moves to a new country, that's complicated.I don't think the best way to go into that situation is to be married first.I am very willing to give you any advice I can about this, but it seems like you're REALLY feeling pushed into this, to the point that you're trying to justify it at the same time as you're expressing your concern.Stop justifying and really try to look at it objectively. What are the pros and cons to eloping? What are the pros and cons to waiting? If you worry your relationship isn't strong enough to survive years of separation, how strong is it? If you are unwilling to go through that sort of rough time, then should you really be getting married right now?Relationships get hard, and long-distance is NOT the hardest thing that can happen. Trust me. It's hard, but there are lots of things that are harder.
    Anniversary
  • tidetraveltidetravel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Apology accepted.  However, please understand that you didn't get crap for wanting a "pretty princess day;" you got crap because you started your post ATTACKING people, and were planning FOUR parties for your wedding.  Oh yeah, and then there was the fact that the two of you aren't even engaged.  There are lots of people that get married in a civil ceremony and then have a vow renewal/wedding later.  Personally, I don't have a problem with having the legal/spiritual ceremonies at different times.But, if you go this route, you have to understand a few things:1)  Lying is bad.  Tell your family/friends that you are eloping.2)  Have a JOP ceremony here in the states, in the time frame that you need to.  Plan ONE vow renewal for a later date - either here or in your FI's country.  That will give your family or his family time to make the appropriate travel arrangements for the ceremony.  (Also, depending on what country he is from, friends/family may not need a visa to travel for your wedding.  There are several countries that are part of the Visa Waiver Program, which means that they can come to the US for business/tourist purposes for up to 90 days)   3)  If you elope, you do give up the "right" to pre-wedding parties.  An alternative to a Bachelorette party is simply to have a "girls night out" with your close friends, to celebrate with them - take the B-party connontation out of it.  Finally, PLEASE consider this a HUGE red flag:  but am reluctant to say, "hey guys, we're getting married even though we're not 100% sure that this is the right time, because I have to get my man a visa"YOU are admitting that YOU know it's not the right time.  A marriage isn't something to be rushed into.  Especially not a marriage that involves immigration.  Aside from the emotional scars of a marriage that doesn't work out, there can be legal ramifications placed on you if the marriage fails, and it is determined that the REASON for the marriage was to "get your man a greencard."  Please, please, please wait until you "know" it is right.  If you feel rushed, it is not the right time.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Norway,The reason people don't like it is because the idea of having a "secret" wedding followed by a "real" wedding is so wrong I don't where to start. The reason some people don't like the idea of 2nd weddings (to same person) is...IMO... it diminishes the actual meaning of your wedding i.e. the joining of 2 people and suggests that actually you care more about big white dresses/cake, showing off to other people and all that jazz than actually being married.  Now there are some very obvious exceptions to this, i.e. military, immediate health concerns etc since these are valid reasons for having to complete the legal side of things quickly and get on with the reception later.Without a really good reason many people will frown upon it. 
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Tide, except for the fact that I thought people who eloped didn't get engaged first.  The whole thing is a spur of the moment "hey let's get married" thing.

My Blog

edited December 2011
    NQB - you really can't "elope" to the US when there are immigration issues involved - spur of the moment marriages can't happen.  That requires planning and waiting, and applications.  Her BF/FI won't be granted a fiance visa without actually being a fiance.So, technically, if they are seriously planning on getting married, and are taking steps to do so, I guess they are "engaged."  Part of me wonders to what extent this has been discussed, though.
  • edited December 2011
    Ahh I see what you mean Tide.

My Blog

• pinkpinotpinkpinot member
    edited December 2011
    I want to read your question so badly but it's Friday, it's super long and I'm lazy.  Sorry.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    Pink - this is NOTHING compared to the OP on P&E. :0)
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Tide.  I think this is one of those situations where a legal/spiritual split would be alright.  Just make sure everyone knows that's what's going on.The problem I see is that you really don't seem 100% sure that the timing is right at all, and if you go forward without being 100% sure that could cause some serious problems in your relationship.When does he have to leave the country?  How long do fiance visas last for?  Would it be possible to get a fiance visa that lasted for a year so that you would have time to plan a larger wedding and get to know each other better?  I don't know the answers to these questions, but they may be worth looking into if you haven't already.  Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
    edited December 2011
    Acro - fiance visas are only good for 3 months.  The issue that a lot of people come up against is that the process is unpredictable; there is no set timeline for how long the paperwork takes to process, and there's no guarentee as to when/if her FI will even be granted a visa.  
    edited December 2011
    Tide - did she DD? I am blind or just lazy and can't seem to find it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    Not thread related -  Tide: your signature picture is so beautiful. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Pink.  I'm horribly unphotogenic - my wedding photographer made me realize that from now on, if I want pics, I'm having a real professional do them (no Sears family portraits). Here was the link to the original thread:  http://talk.theknot.com/boards/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=62596673 
    edited December 2011
    Thank ya! Holy paragraph.  Welp, here it goes.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    pvegas: this isn't going to be clicky but: http://elopology.typepad.com/elopology/elopement-basics/
    BabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    Psst.  Pink:  to make clicky: [url*]post-your-website-here-but-remove-stars.com[/url*]  
  • edited December 2011
    You're so against hearing what others have to say that I'm not even going to bother...
    image image image image 
    "but you're SO FUNNY, button! you're so funny i kind of want to crawl into your skin and wear it as my own. " - NarwhalYou, my dear, are the Queen of the Beebees. Here's a tiara - Oceana 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    There is so much wrong with this, I don't even know where to begin.  And trust me, I understand your frustrations.  My FI is also foreign, and I know how many hoops you have to jump through. 1) if you JOP it, please please tell your family.  They have a right to be there, and to know that your vow renewal is just that...a renewal 2) It's not silly to want a big wedding.  What IS childish and silly is failing to recognize that as an adult, you have to make choices and prioritize.  You don't have a second wedding just for the gifts and the big show, it's rude to your guests and seems gift grabby.Also, I'm very concerned about the legal problems you could have from doing this.  I think INS is going to look into your case with a fine tooth comb for the following reasons:1) you've been dating less than a year2) He hasn't met your family3) You JOP'd it with NO ONE there who is close to you4) You kept it secret from your familyNone of this looks very good to INS.You do realize that when they do the green card interviews, they can interview family and friends too, right? That they ask very specific questions about your wedding, and it looks "better" if you at least have you close family and friends attend? It's going to LOOK very much like you two got married just for the green card, so at the very least you two NEED to talk to an immigration lawyer ASAP. Also, do you know that once you sign all that green card paperwork, that you are OBLIGATED to support him for 10 years, EVEN IF you get divorced? Seriously, if you aren't ready to get married to this guy, DON'T DO IT.  There are too many things that can go wrong (emotionally AND legally).I wish you the best of luck.
    edited December 2011
    Does your BF want to get married? Why hasn't he proposed yet? First you should relax.  You are very worked up and stressed over the situation.  I'd like to speak with your BF.  We've heard enough from you, can you put him on?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Just read the original post, the only thing I can say is that you need to take a reality check!3 Weddings and a JOP? Sounds like some British rom-com.  I don't understand why you feel the need to have a wedding and then 3 further weddings/receptions in 3 different countries, this is sheer craziness.  I agree that the vows are important and you may want to do these in front of family and friends but you seriously don't need to repeat them in front of every person you've ever met!
  • edited December 2011
    I don't have time to read the novel that was posted on P&E, but I agree that 3 ceremonies/events is ridiculous.  The most you really need are two. Have a wedding here that you can afford now (if you are ready to get married now), and invite your close family and friends in the U.S. It's totally understandable that not all of your BF/FI/H's family will be able to make the trip over. So... Then, a year later (once your H can leave the country again), have a reception/religious ceremony in his home country.  That should cover everyone you could possibly want to invite.
  • pvegaspvegas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys for all of your responses so far. They have been *really* helpful. I know this is the man I'm going to marry. I've known it for months, in fact, but I never imagined that we'd have to rush it. He was planning on moving to my city (I am tied and bound here for work; he's free, and he wants to leave the place he's living now), and then eventually we realized this was the only way that could happen. To the poster who responded re: long-distance relationships, I completely agree with what you say and this wouldn't feel like something I had to do if my SO lived in another state. Seeing each other requires a 26-hour roundtrip flight costing $1000-$1500 dollars (plus a $200 visa I have to apply for each time I want to visit him). We have been long distance for a year (he has been living in the country where we met, i.e., not his home country). It's not something we can really do a weekend trip, although we've definitely been making some records for unbelievably short, expensive trips to see each other! But doing this is emotionally costly, financially costly, and I feel like my work and other personal relationships are suffering a bit as a result (although that probably has more to do with work eating my life than anything else). But he told me exactly the same thing. That this was not remotely the biggest challenge we'd face together, which is completely true! I appreciate your support and I have lots of friends that have been in difficult LD relationships. It really does suck. I think for me the biggest burden is keeping this thing a secret. I've never lied to my parents (or at least, I've told them everything eventually). A premediated, planned lie sounds awful! Oh, and to clarify, I did mean private J.O.P. once visa is cleared (crossing my fingers for quick adjudication) and a ceremony, maybe a year later? I'd rather call it a celebration than a vow renewal given that we'll be making completely different vows, in completely different languages on either occasion. I really want to get married in his country and again, for visa issues, that would be much more complicated. And by bachelorette party I *did* mean night out on the town before the actual ceremony, whenever that happens. I'm sure this would happen anyway, and without much fuss. The only chance my old friends from college ever get to see each other seems to be at each others' weddings. I'm also a big believer that these pre-wedding events can be really important for helping people bond a bit and get to know each other before the big day. I'd really love my old girlfriends to get to meet my new ones.
    edited December 2011
    Diva - in OP's defense, she did apologize here and state that she realizes her original idea was unreasonable.
  • edited December 2011
    I think for me the biggest burden is keeping this thing a secret. I've never lied to my parents (or at least, I've told them everything eventually). A premediated, planned lie sounds awful! You've STILL neglected to adequately explain WHY you need to keep it a secret.  Your family will find out somehow, and then they'll be REALLY pissed that you lied to them.Also, as I mentioned before, please please PLEASE talk to an immigration lawyer.  I don't imagine the government will look on lying with a friendly eye either.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards