Not Engaged Yet
Options

Very Excited...

So excited...Dont worry i'm not engaged yet.. Lol but i did find out today that my landlord will let me have a dog after Christmas :) It has to be under 15lbs full grown...so So what kind of dogs do you guys suggest?

Re: Very Excited...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Get a rescue dog!!! Please please please! Benefits:If it is an adult, you already know how big it is! (unlike a puppy, where you make an educated guess)You give a home to an animal that previously didn't have one, and trust me they seem to KNOW it and show so much love to their new family!Mixed breeds are generally less likely to suffer from health problems passed down genetically in purebreds.I will love you forever if you adopt from a no-kill shelter, because they really, REALLY need it. They do a wonderful thing and it's HARD to keep taking in animals when adoptions are not usually the first thing people think of. You'd be saving two lives-- the doggie you adopt, and the one you make room for in the shelter.Good luck on finding the right pup for you!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jeana's answer FTW!
    image image image image 
    "but you're SO FUNNY, button! you're so funny i kind of want to crawl into your skin and wear it as my own. " - NarwhalYou, my dear, are the Queen of the Beebees. Here's a tiara - Oceana 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    AWW Jeana I'm a shelter girl too!!! :) All of my family's cats are adopties... :) love it! but unfortunely there arent any no kill shelter in my area.. but there is an agency but i do know that my shelter does carry that many small dogs.. :( i go to look all the time :) lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i meant They DONT carry many small dogs.. and if they do...they are swept up really quickly.. lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jeana is right about everything she said in her post. When my cousin got her puppy in KY a few years back, we thought she was going to be small (her mom was small and "she had small paws") Well, shes huge. I would definately check out a shelter first, there are always some cuties who really need a good home
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah i would definately do that if i was able to.. i just love how loyal shelter dogs are.. but if i cant i believe i'm gonna go with a mini pomerian... :) so cute.. and definately NOT over 15 lbs... ever lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Petfinder.com has all sorts of shelter dogs under 15lbs!!!!!!!!!! I got mine dog off petfinder from a shelter. They definitely KNOW you saved their life. No sense in paying for a dog when sooooooo many are homeless!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My aunt has a mini pom and she is the cutest thing ever! Not to mention she's very mellow and doesn't yap 24/7 like alot of little dogs do. I would be careful with them though, she is only a year old and has broke her leg twice from jumping off things. We think their may be a bone defeciency with her, not quite sure yet.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE mini poms.. my aunt's best friend breeds them and like you said they dont yap 24/7 which having an apartment thats always an issue.. now when it comes to bone definancies.. i will definately look for that in the parents if i do decide to get one.. there So loving tooo!!
  • Options
    mermadisonmermadison member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My vote is obviously going to be a beagle. My female is only 17 lbs (I think she was the runt).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Amber-- definitely try Petfinder.com! You can search for shelters near your zip code. A lot of shelter volunteers will bring the dog to you if they are a bit of a drive from where you live. Plus, any GOOD shelter would love the chance to do a home visit.We do home visits for every single cat we adopt out, because we really care where they're going. I don't work with the dogs, but I know those folks like to do home visits when possible and will gladly drive an animal to a good, loving home.Also, call or email your local shelters and let them know you're looking to adopt a dog under 15lb. They may be able to keep an eye out for one that will suit your needs and let you know if they get one.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah i will definately have to look! like i said i probably wont be able to even get a dog until Feb or March because ive got to pay a 500 dollar pet deposit.. Lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a maltese. Best dog I have ever owned. Very smart, easy to traine and extremely loyal and the best part, he is non-shedding.Full grown he is just over 5lbs with the best personality I have ever seen. He is either right with you, loyally at your feet and follows you everywhere or he is bringing you his toys to play. They are extremely obedient, great with kids and other pets.Incredible dogs, I recommend them to anyone looking for a dog. Absolutely a blast to own!  I always keep the hair of my guy short so he looks like the puppies.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pInMRLXQpoAhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpDQIpHiDOsThis link below describes my dog to a T. Good info.http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/maltese.htm
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Eek! That's a hefty deposit!Well, in that case I would suggest waiting until after Christmas to actually contact shelters. Christmas is when they may actually be busy. After that things slow down some.Unfortunately, a lot of animals are dumped on shelters a couple of months after the holidays because parents buy them for kids, and expect the kids to take care of the pet. When it doesn't work out that way, many people are unwilling to pick up the slack and instead just abandon the animal.It's sad.... but the good thing is then they have a chance to find the RIGHT home, instead of the wrong one.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    what do you guys think about home cooking your own dog food?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It is very good for them, however I don't have the time (well, it would be cat food, anyway...). I did a bunch of research and asked friends for recommendations on a good wet food & dry food.Dogs can eat many many things, but you'd have to research what they CAN'T eat, too. There are things you wouldn't think about... like potatoes, onions, mushrooms, and garlic... along with grapes and macadamia nuts. Also, dogs are usually lactose intolerant, so dairy foods can result in diarrhea. It's totally a personal choice if you want to make your own dog food. I hear wonderful things from people who do. But, it IS a lot of work until you get the hang of it.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    pag41989pag41989 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a silky terrier. He looks identical to a Yorkie. He doesnt even weigh 10 lbs and he is a year and a half old.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    PandaBurrPandaBurr member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For like the hundredth time, PetFinder.com! Also, PetHarbor might work in your area too. They very often have purebred dogs (as a result of a puppy mill raid, so sad!), so you might even find a breed that you're looking for. But like someone else said, you gotta be really quick, because the small purebreds get snapped up first. (Not that it's a bad thing!)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely look on petfinder.com!  That's where we found our dog!  If nothing else, it should help you get a good idea for what shelters are in your area.  Good luck!  :)
  • Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    spark, your puppy is ADORABLE!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Please do not cook your own home diet for a dog without consulting a veterinary nutritionist.  You can find a thousand recipes on the internet, but most of them do not have the necessary nutritional information available to make sure your dog is getting a well balanced diet.  There are no 'perfect' home cooked diets that have been discovered to fulfill the nutritional needs of all dogs- best to work with a professional to tailor a diet based on your dog's individual needs.  Taking a gamble on an internet recipe would most likely lead to a nutritionally deficient diet and future medical problems. For instance, I worked with a 1 yr old Pomeranian today that was getting a homemade diet of turkey meat and peas from his owner. The dog was nutritionally deficient in any carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins, minerals, etc. and was subsequently eating carpet.  Carpet got stuck in his gut and we were in surgery half the morning. Not that every dog we see goes into surgery because of a bad diet... but that is just one of many potential problems that you can run into on a random home cooked diet.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards