Not Engaged Yet

The question you're never supposed to ask a lady...

Re: The question you're never supposed to ask a lady...

• edited December 2011
    I'm 23 and I feel I'm getting close to an age where marriage is more appropriate, but sometimes I even think I'm still too young.  We won't be getting engaged for awhile though so I'm sure I'll change my mind in a couple of years.
    I think there is no correct age to get married, but I agree with PP about being on your own.  Not everyone would live with their SO before engagement/marriage, but at least being in your own place is important.   
    It is not a good thing to get married too early, as you ladies have all said you do not develop fully until a certain age.  
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I'll be 26 next Saturday & I have to confess that as I was reading all of the responses I was feeling young until I actually realized that I'm about to be 26 lol Weird how that sort of thing just hits you!!

I agree with PP, there isn't necessarily an ideal age to be married but you should be settled and able to support yourself before making such a big committment. 

• DanieKADanieKA member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_question-never-supposed-ask-lady?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:26b436ff-9198-46d0-9628-1e44f552be47Post:b55270a7-bd49-4294-948f-482124dbefc7">Re: The question you're never supposed to ask a lady...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The question you're never supposed to ask a lady... : This made me LOL! Can I join the "29 and feelin fine!" club next Thursday on my bday?!
    Posted by NurseyK[/QUOTE]

<div>You can join the club!! Happy almost birthday! </div><div>
    </div><div>I don't feel old, but 29 is a strange age. I'm not dreading 30, but everyone IRL (both friends/family and strangers) makes me hyper aware that that's the "next age" and that it's some sort of BFD?? Like when someone asks IRL how old I am and I say 29 it's always like a long extended, "Oohhhhh...Almost 30, huh?" </div><div>
    </div><div>Um, yeah but I still watch Jersey Shore, so I'm not that mature. Get over that number! </div>
  • DanieKADanieKA member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_question-never-supposed-ask-lady?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:26b436ff-9198-46d0-9628-1e44f552be47Post:d2432488-18fe-4be6-8445-0692df6ab50c">Re: The question you're never supposed to ask a lady...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm 19. And honestly, I do think I'm kind of young to be on this board, but then I remember that 19 is not that far from 20 (especially if I'm less than half a year away from it.) <strong>But the ongoing intro posts of 18/19 year olds who BSC and get flamed doesn't help my age group</strong> any, especially since the majority of the girls never return to their own intro threads once the flaming has begun. :(  But <strong>I do think that at my age relationships can be taken more seriously than they really are and there is no telling what my future holds. In my heart I feel like I will spend forever with my BF, but who knows? </strong>I surely have no doubts, though! Also, I don't think there is an "ideal" time to get married. In my opinion, you can find the person you're meant to be with forever in high school, in college, in your 30's/40's/50's/60's.  As for my ideal age, it'll be whenever my BF is ready to make the commitment. He feels like it'll be time when I'm graduating college, but who knows? <div>
    Posted by thelamarrs[/QUOTE]</div><div>
    </div><div><div>You are wise! I like it! I do think sometimes whenever there's a rash of intro posts with younguns' being all, "I'VE PLANNED EVERYTHING! SQUUEEE! WHERE BE MY RING, YO?" it can make me sort of roll my eyes at age, but it's just showing  that you have some perspective and some common sense. And so far the people that have stuck around after their intro post usually do! </div><div>
    </div>
    </div>
  • lilphillips14lilphillips14 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm with raven and lamarrs in the 19 year old catagory (come on October and the big 2-0), and I'm with lamarrs. Unfortunately, some of us are BSC and give us a bad name, and then there are some that get it, and are just living the relationship as it comes. Luckily, there seem to be a bunch of us that, while we might want to be engaged before graduating/reaching whatever goal, we realize that being able to support yourself and living an independent life from your FI is also wise. I'm thankful to have thought that before and have it confirmed by the ladies on NEY as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • IrishDreamerIrishDreamer member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I'm 25, and I feel like an odd man out sometimes lol. There are days when I feel old, and days when I feel young, so I'm not referencing(is that spelled right?) that. I mean, at 25, I've already been married for 4years and divorced, sooo that puts me in a different boat, and gives me an interesting perspective I think.

BF and I rushed into moving in together, as we had only been dating for 4 months, and things could've gone horribly wrong, but thank goodness it didn't. My ex and I rushed things a bit, thanks to my mother, but that's a whole other story. I was young, dumb, and thought I had my life all figured out. People aren't always who we think, and people are always changing.

So while at times BF drives me crazy because I am so excited to be able to spend the rest of my life with him , with or without the ring/marriage doesn't matter. I came to the realization last night while he was trying to help me get rid of my migraine, that even if he never asked me to marry him, I would still want to spend the rest of my life with him, married or just "dating". That won't ever happen, as he is waaay too old fashioned for that, thank God lol.

I agree with PP's... age is a number and is relative. When I got married before, I had never lived on my own, I did always pay my own bills, etc...but life's bumps and twists hadn't really hit me yet. There are so many things that I've gone through now that I would've preferred to have done on my own before I had gotten married.

That all rambling aside, I would prefer to have my kids before I'm 32. (odd # I know, but BF is 4 years older than me ...and would prefer not to be an "old man" as he says when we have kids) lol
  • edited December 2011
    im 27...will be 28 in October. I feel like most of the women on here (regs. at least) are pretty mature. Looking at the poll results though, I didn't realize I was on the "older" end. When I was in college I thought I wanted to be married and starting a family by 25. Obviously that has passed...and I'm actually glad I've had the time to figure some things out on my own first and spend some real time just dating BF and not being a married couple. I don't believe there is one age that's right for everyone....but I'm ready to get married at this point and I'm glad in retrospect that it didn't happen earlier for me.
  • CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm 26. I feel a little young to be getting married. . . but I've been on my own more or less since I started college. FI will be 27 when we get married in 3.5 months. I don't feel terribly old or young on the board. 
  • lennonkdclennonkdc member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tafft, I thought was going to be the only one in my 30's on here :) Phew! I'm 31, but I swear I still feel much younger, since I just finished law school, and I am still not 'estabished'. It really sucks to be 31 and feeling like you are waiting for your life to start. 

I don't think that there is an ideal age to get married, every person and every relationship is different. I have noticed that as I've gotten older I have become more realistic (in a good way) about what to expect from a partnership. I think a person/ couple is ready for marriage, regardless of age, when they can list their/the relationships strengths and weakness and openly discuss them in a mature way...most of the time :) 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_question-never-supposed-ask-lady?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:26b436ff-9198-46d0-9628-1e44f552be47Post:302680d8-a844-47ee-99b4-9a9ce85ed934">Re: The question you're never supposed to ask a lady...</a>:
    [QUOTE]However, now that I've lived (survived) most of my 20s, I can say that I don't feel any older than a few years ago. I CAN say that I wasn't ready for marriage until after: - I paid all my own bills without financial help - I got through school (even failed a few classes unnecessarily, but c'est la vie) - <strong>lived alone without roommates</strong> - left my first major job and started a new career - gone through heartbreak regards to jobs, men and female friends - and have lost people to death. Posted by NurseyK[/QUOTE]

This was really important to me, and I'm so glad I did it. I loved living with my roommate out of college, but getting my own apartment felt like hitting some milestone of "okay, I'm finally actually an adult." Personally, I think everyone should live by themself at some point before they get married.
    PhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't realize there were so many in their late 20s.

I'm 29, but not for much longer.
  • Ollie08Ollie08 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_question-never-supposed-ask-lady?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:26b436ff-9198-46d0-9628-1e44f552be47Post:68f158ab-d2ae-4736-bd7c-39cd4e418334">Re: The question you're never supposed to ask a lady...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm 25, and I feel like an odd man out sometimes lol. There are days when I feel old, and days when I feel young, so I'm not referencing(is that spelled right?) that.<strong> I mean, at 25, I've already been married for 4years and divorced, sooo that puts me in a different boat, and gives me an interesting perspective I think</strong>. BF and I rushed into moving in together, as we had only been dating for 4 months, and things could've gone horribly wrong, but thank goodness it didn't. My ex and I rushed things a bit, thanks to my mother, but that's a whole other story. I was young, dumb, and thought I had my life all figured out. People aren't always who we think, and people are always changing. So while at times BF drives me crazy because I am so excited to be able to spend the rest of my life with him , with or without the ring/marriage doesn't matter. I came to the realization last night while he was trying to help me get rid of my migraine, that even if he never asked me to marry him, I would still want to spend the rest of my life with him, married or just "dating". That won't ever happen, as he is waaay too old fashioned for that, thank God lol. I agree with PP's... age is a number and is relative. When I got married before, I had never lived on my own, I did always pay my own bills, etc...but life's bumps and twists hadn't really hit me yet. There are so many things that I've gone through now that I would've preferred to have done on my own before I had gotten married. That all rambling aside, I would prefer to have my kids before I'm 32. (odd # I know, but BF is 4 years older than me ...and would prefer not to be an "old man" as he says when we have kids) lol
    Posted by IrishDreamer[/QUOTE]

This is me. I just had my 26th birthday last month and I've already been married once, have 2 kids and I'm divorced. I know that I was too young to be married the first time around, but when there are kids involved it is really hard not to let that be a factor. I shouldn't have married, but if I didn't get married I wouldn't have my 2nd DD, so I'm still glad it happened.

I'm 26 now and I feel like this is a point in life that most people are ok to be married for the first time. I often worry about the fact that I'll be on my second marriage when everyone else is on their first at my age. So I completely get the odd man out thing.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited December 2011
    I'm 24 now. My FI will be 26 and I'll be 25 when we get married. I think we are at a good place in our relationship and feel mostly stable with our jobs so it is the right time for us. Although it will definitely be years before we are settled enough to have kids.
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm 20. I'll be 21 this year but as a few of you know, I have a super late birthday (but super awesome at the same time).

Raven, I always forget that you're a bit younger than me. You definitely act older than 19, whch is why I always forget. I remember with Beth because she's been around longer than I've been and we're about the same age so it's easy to remember ;)

I know some times there are complaints about the younger ones being treated unfairly, but I haven't really seen it on here. Comments are made sometimes, but I never feel like they're directed at me (even though I'm a youngin'). But then again I don't walk around with my age on a badge everywhere.

And I agree with pretty much all the PP about a good age to get married. There are a few general guidelines, but ultimately it's the couple's choice for better or for worse.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm 23. I guess I'll probably be somewhere at the end of 24 or beginning of 25 when BF and I tie the knot, but who knows! lol I had no idea that shows and I were the same age... Shoes, you are so wise!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • csousa1csousa1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm 26, and yesterday I felt on the older end but I guess, according to this poll, I am pretty much in the middle.

26 hit me hard - clearing that 25 hurdle and officially being closer to 30 than 20 was tough to take. I also thought I would be married at 25, starting a family at 26/27. I will admit that deep down, under a thick layer of trusting that everything happens for a reason and a paper-thin layer of, "I can totally go with the flow!", I am PANICKED that I am not even engaged yet. But, in my defense, the only reason that I feel that way is because a year ago, BF and I were totally on the same page about timelines - I thought I would be engaged this year and probably married next year, starting a family around 28. Now that all of that is undecided and temporarily on hold, I have no timeline to refer to at all. Could be 5 months, could be 5 years. I know that it being farther away is NOT the end of the world, and everything will happen as it should, and I am SO glad my BF is listening to his needs and doing this the right way. It is so much better that his head be right again and he be fully ready.

So I am trying to keep my cool, and for the most part I am doing that well. But I would be lying if I didn't admit that deep down I am terrified that I will end up being much older than I had hoped when I start having babies, and am heartbroken that this curve-ball was thrown at me right when I thought all these things would start happening.
  • wink0erinwink0erin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I'm 25 and around here I feel middle of the road. However, IRL I tend to feel old, just because many of the girls around me (especially those from my high school) have gotten engaged/married or had children. Several that I went to college with are also engaged/married.

I never really had an "expected age" to get married, but I certainly have hoped to have kids before I'm 30 and to be married before I have kids.

• IrishDreamerIrishDreamer member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_question-never-supposed-ask-lady?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:26b436ff-9198-46d0-9628-1e44f552be47Post:59577a3d-caab-48ab-b441-2ea2bbed17a2">Re: The question you're never supposed to ask a lady...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The question you're never supposed to ask a lady... : This is me. I just had my 26th birthday last month and I've already been married once, have 2 kids and I'm divorced. I know that I was too young to be married the first time around, but when there are kids involved it is really hard not to let that be a factor. I shouldn't have married, but if I didn't get married I wouldn't have my 2nd DD, so I'm still glad it happened. I<strong>'m 26 now and I feel like this is a point in life that most people are ok to be married for the first time. I often worry about the fact that I'll be on my second marriage when everyone else is on their first at my age</strong>. So I completely get the odd man out thing.
    Posted by Ollie08[/QUOTE]

No kidding! I'm right there with you, Ollie. Most of BF's friends are married/engaged/have kids, and mine are well...nonexistent lol. My best friend is married, and I don't really have many other friends. I have "aquaintances". SOOO, hanging out with BF and his friends always makes me feel like the odd man out, especially since none of them know I was married before. (not something I bring up in every day conversation)... and they are always asking, well when are you and Tom getting married"?? How the eff do i know?! STOP ASKING!! LOL. I tell everyone to ask Tom themselves, leave me out of it. I know it'll be in the next 1-2 yrsish... and that's good enough for me for now.

Gah, I ramble a lot..anyways, yeah... especially since i look younger than 25, when people find out I was married for four years...i get the side-eye.

*hugs* Glad to know someone else understands my "pain". 0o0o..also, what part of FL? I lived in Ft. Myers for 13 years :)
  • edited December 2011
    I'm 29.  I was 27 when we got engaged and married. 

I definitely think that anything under 25 could be too young.  I'll give the 23-25 year olds some room for differing maturity but it is definitely a case by case basis.  Anything under 23 is just too young in my book.  I honestly don't care about how much of a speshul snowflake anyone thinks they are and I don't care how mature anyone under 23 thinks they are based on their life experiences.  While I may like some of the younger posters, I still think that it is odd to be on a wedding website at such a young age. 

I am not saying that the person you are with when you are 19 won't be the one you end up marrying.  However, getting on a wedding website at that age is just BSC no matter what way you slice it.  Also, proclaiming that soon you'll be 20 when it is 6-months away is a sign of immaturity.  Nothing special happens when you turn 20.  I also don't care how mature you are at 19 or 20, you are still too young to get married.  I will also side-eye most people that get married without having lived on their own for some time, no matter what age.  (Unless you are holding down a full-time job and completely supporting yourself, college does not count for being on your own.)  I do think that there is something to being completely single as an adult.  It has nothing to do with dating several people, but it has everything to do with relying only on yourself.         

People can do whatever the heck they want.  Conversely, others can think whatever they heck they want about it.  It's how the world turns. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_question-never-supposed-ask-lady?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:26b436ff-9198-46d0-9628-1e44f552be47Post:f70af879-7696-4dc2-a840-e7136e0668c0">Re: The question you're never supposed to ask a lady...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm 20. I'll be 21 this year but as a few of you know, I have a super late birthday (but super awesome at the same time). Raven, I always forget that you're a bit younger than me. You definitely act older than 19, whch is why I always forget. I remember with Beth because she's been around longer than I've been and we're about the same age so it's easy to remember ;) I<strong> know some times there are complaints about the younger ones being treated unfairly, but I haven't really seen it on here. Comments are made sometimes, but I never feel like they're directed at me (even though I'm a youngin')</strong>. But then again I don't walk around with my age on a badge everywhere. And I agree with pretty much all the PP about a good age to get married. There are a few general guidelines, but ultimately it's the couple's choice for better or for worse.
    Posted by heyimbren[/QUOTE]
    <p style="margin:0in 0in 10pt;" class="MsoNormal"><span style="line-height:115%;font-family:'Arial','sans-serif';color:#1f1f1f;font-size:8.5pt;">I agree with your bolded part.  Older girls will make comments and that is ok.  I feel like they just want to help and not see girls rush into things that they aren't ready for.  I don't think they want to break up our relationships they just want us to live life happily and without regrets.  Which is really nice of them.  :)  Thanks for being big sisters to us young girls :) </span></p>
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• leia1979leia1979 member
    edited December 2011
    Like Danser and Len, I'm also 31. I do feel like I'm on the older side on TK. Nothing wrong with that, though.

Personally, I think late 20s/early 30s is a good time to get married (assuming everything else is right). Other ages work for other people, but I do tend to feel a little concerned for the really young people.
  • marleylikeairmarleylikeair member
    edited December 2011
    I'm 27. I wouldn't have wanted to get engaged any earlier than 25, maybe 24. I think 26 is the earliest I would have wanted to get married. (I'm actually now pretty glad that I likely won't be engaged or married before I'm at least 28-29.) As I've said, the human brain doesn't even finish maturing until about the age of 25.

Living on your own and supporting yourself for at least a year, with no help from parents, is key to being ready. That said, it's much more about knowing yourself well and being secure in who you are and what you want out of life than a particular age.

For most men, IMO, add two or three years to the numbers I threw out there.
  • marleylikeairmarleylikeair member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_question-never-supposed-ask-lady?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:26b436ff-9198-46d0-9628-1e44f552be47Post:94fe571b-bae5-494d-acee-5c6ab008594b">Re: The question you're never supposed to ask a lady...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The question you're never supposed to ask a lady... : I'm 25 and still think it's a little early for me to be thinking about marriage, but I live in NYC and people tend to get married older.  For my family and friends from home, it's the opposite though and I get a lot of "what is he waiting for??"  Also, the only thing I regret not doing at this point in my life is living alone.  But the reason it was never possible is because I didn't make enough right after college to move out (research jobs don't pay very well), and then I moved to NYC (and still do research).  I DID live with a crazy woman I found on craigslist though for four months - I decided to quit my job I hated, found a place to sublet for a while, and applied to as many jobs as possible.  So it's not like I didn't have some interesting life experiences.  
    Posted by yaga13[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Some of this sounds pretty familiar. I lived in NYC from 2004-2010, and even when I was working full-time, I couldn't afford my own place. I would have loved to, though. When I say "living on your own" I lump that in with roommate situations. I've never been in a roommate situation where I wasn't responsible for paying rent and bills on time, taking care of the upkeep of the apartment, etc. I did NOT get any breaks or have anyone covering my a$$ while renting in the city, that's for sure.</div><div>
    </div>
  • jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I just turned 24 about a month ago and for where I am in my own life, I have no questions that I'm ready to get married (especially to my FI).  However, when I hang out with all my other 23-25 year old friends, I can't even imagine them making that kind of commitment now.  Most of them are still supported by their parents (some even 100%) and aren't even close to that stage yet.

I think the 'right age' depends on the person.  But I agree with most of the PP's that no matter what age you are, you need to be 100% financially independent (even being able to make it w/o your BF/FI), lived on your own, had some type of life experience (be-it college, working, military, etc...basically a few years out of high school and out of your parent's house) and at LEAST be of legal drinking age (not so much of being able to actually drink, but it's sort of the last age milestone of your youth, after that, you have no restrictions and are fully an 'adult'.)
    Anniversary
  • CASK85CASK85 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_question-never-supposed-ask-lady?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:26b436ff-9198-46d0-9628-1e44f552be47Post:3fe9bff9-ff9d-40c9-8bed-10aa82ef1fce">Re: The question you're never supposed to ask a lady...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm 29.  I was 27 when we got engaged and married.  I definitely think that anything under 25 could be too young.  I'll give the 23-25 year olds some room for differing maturity but it is definitely a case by case basis.  Anything under 23 is just too young in my book.  I honestly don't care about how much of a speshul snowflake anyone thinks they are and I don't care how mature anyone under 23 thinks they are based on their life experiences.  While I may like some of the younger posters, I still think that it is odd to be on a wedding website at such a young age.  I am not saying that the person you are with when you are 19 won't be the one you end up marrying.  However, getting on a wedding website at that age is just BSC no matter what way you slice it.  Also, proclaiming that soon you'll be 20 when it is 6-months away is a sign of immaturity.  Nothing special happens when you turn 20.  I also don't care how mature you are at 19 or 20, you are still too young to get married.  <strong>I will also side-eye most people that get married without having lived on their own for some time, no matter what age.  (Unless you are holding down a full-time job and completely supporting yourself, college does not count for being on your own.)  I do think that there is something to being completely single as an adult.  It has nothing to do with dating several people, but it has everything to do with relying only on yourself.</strong>          People can do whatever the heck they want.  Conversely, others can think whatever they heck they want about it.  It's how the world turns. 
    Posted by TheMutleys[/QUOTE]<div>I agree with this. Especially the bolded part.</div><div><div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;line-height:normal;">I loved living alone. I grew a lot when I was living alone. Moving halfway across the country and going to grad school and doing my own thing is something I'll always be happy I did. For me it was definitely right to do some living before getting married. Plus as an added bonus if I hadn't moved here I wouldn't have met FI and probably would have married the loser I was dating in high school (not that all high school sweethearts are losers, just mine). </div></div><div>
    </div>
  • edited December 2011
    I am terrified to live ALONE (as in, by myself). I have major anxiety issues. Also, in my circle, people actually do live with their parents until they get married (usually moving in with someone right when it's very serious and they are about to get engaged). The thought of throwing money away on rent sickens me and my BF, so we will live at home until we are ready to purchase something. *shrugs* Whatever works.
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_question-never-supposed-ask-lady?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:26b436ff-9198-46d0-9628-1e44f552be47Post:ac5296e0-1353-4d9e-8ab8-88b979f1b4a4">Re: The question you're never supposed to ask a lady...</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I am terrified to live ALONE</strong> (as in, by myself). I have major anxiety issues. Also, in my circle, people actually do live with their parents until they get married (usually moving in with someone right when it's very serious and they are about to get engaged). <span style="font-weight:bold;">The thought of throwing money away on rent sickens me and my </span>BF, so we will live at home until we are ready to purchase something. *shrugs* Whatever works.
    Posted by GreenPepperBurger[/QUOTE]

I  wish I didn't leave alone. I lock all the doors and windows every night. I'm always afraid someone is going to break in and murder me at night. Is this a rational fear? No. Am I still paranoid? Yes.

BF moved back in with his parents to avoid paying rent. He could afford to live out on his own but why waste the money?

• CASK85CASK85 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_question-never-supposed-ask-lady?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:26b436ff-9198-46d0-9628-1e44f552be47Post:ac5296e0-1353-4d9e-8ab8-88b979f1b4a4">Re: The question you're never supposed to ask a lady...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am terrified to live ALONE (as in, by myself). I have major anxiety issues. Also, in my circle, people actually do live with their parents until they get married (usually moving in with someone right when it's very serious and they are about to get engaged). The thought of throwing money away on rent sickens me and my BF, so we will live at home until we are ready to purchase something. *shrugs* Whatever works.
    Your marriage will be invalid :-P <div>
    </div><div>Seriously, though, it is fun to live alone. Or "alone" with one other person who you're not dating. But you gotta do what you gotta do - I'll still love you in the end. </div>
  • alanna91alanna91 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm nineteen and I won't be married until atleast 2013 when I graduate. Even then, we'd have to wait until we were establish in our careers to be able to afford a wedding, especially with student loans and other thanks-to-college debts we'll have.
    White Knot
  • alanna91alanna91 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE]The thought of throwing money away on rent sickens me and my BF, so we will live at home until we are ready to purchase something. *shrugs* Whatever works.

BF is like you. We were going to get an apt together but instead he wants us to move in to his parent's furnished basement until we graduate.
    There are some days when I really want to move out and get my own place, but I wouldn't feel right leaving my parents to pay the rent and bills by themselves.
    White Knot
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards