Not Engaged Yet

XP - Law Schools

Okay, so I posted this on the Student board too, but I know there are a lot of girls that post on here who are either in law school or applying soon.

I've been researching different law schools so I have an idea of where I'm going to apply, and something came up that I'm looking for a bit of advice on.

How much might it matter whether I get my JD or my LLB? There are some schools that aren't offering the JD yet, just an LLB. That might change before I apply, but either way, is this something any of you considered?

Re: XP - Law Schools

• PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know NOTHING about law school (not my thang) but now I'm curious - where are you thinking about applying?

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_xp-law-schools?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:2d495e10-42ec-4663-a9d4-0b2ded78f2fePost:aec70f63-3be4-4368-bece-cb7a464f7559">Re: XP - Law Schools</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know NOTHING about law school (not my thang) but now I'm curious - where are you thinking about applying?
    Posted by PaigeMcC[/QUOTE]

All over the country, literally. UBC, UVictoria, Calgary, Alberta, Western, Queen's, UofT, Osgoode, and Dalhousie. I'm unsure about Ottawa and McGill, but I'm not applying to Manitoba or Saskatchewan (and a couple others in Ontario/Maritimes).
  • acl2012acl2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm unfamiliar with an LLB because in the states, a JD is the thing to get. I would look at how employers feel about LLBs vs JDs, cause that's really what's going to matter. Also, the kind of law is going to determine importance of presitge of the school and degree as well, so keep that in mind when applying. Since I want to be a posecutor or PD, I don't have to go to the absolute best school, which helps a lot with tution and what not. So, I would def keep that in consideration as well!
    edited December 2011
    I hate Dal.  But being from Halifax makes me biased, I guess.  LOL

They've got a good law school.

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_xp-law-schools?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:2d495e10-42ec-4663-a9d4-0b2ded78f2fePost:456628a7-742a-4051-8d41-69e522d34454">Re: XP - Law Schools</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm unfamiliar with an LLB because in the states, a JD is the thing to get. I would look at how employers feel about LLBs vs JDs, cause that's really what's going to matter. Also, the kind of law is going to determine importance of presitge of the school and degree as well, so keep that in mind when applying. Since I want to be a posecutor or PD, I don't have to go to the absolute best school, which helps a lot with tution and what not. So, I would def keep that in consideration as well!
    Posted by acl2012[/QUOTE]

Thanks, ACL. Here in Canada, the LLB just hasn't quite died yet. Assuming I get in, I'll have a job at a small firm working with criminal defence, civil litigation and family law. So, realistically, I don't think the LLB or JD is going to be that big of a deal for actually working and getting a job.

Paige - Dal definitely isn't my first choice. But I am looking at it, because I've heard wonderful things about the law school. I don't to rule anything out too quickly (besides Sask.)
  • acl2012acl2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As long as your future employer will accept the degree, then I don't think you have much to worry about in regard to which one you get. It's more of a personal choice at this point and which one you would like to strive for.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_xp-law-schools?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:2d495e10-42ec-4663-a9d4-0b2ded78f2fePost:2e2e3e90-d2fe-4549-961e-362e21bf886d">Re: XP - Law Schools</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: XP - Law Schools :  Paige - Dal definitely isn't my first choice. But I am looking at it, because I've heard wonderful things about the law school. I don't to rule anything out too quickly (besides Sask.)
    Posted by heyimbren[/QUOTE]

<div>Dal's has a great law school.  I can't say anything bad about it.  </div><div>
    </div><div>What I have a problem with the "Dalttitude" that people have. "Oh, I go to Dal.  I'm hot sh!t." Well guess what, I went to MUN and we thought we were hot sh!t too.  Eff off you entitled brats.</div><div>
    </div><div>...sorry that was a rant.  Bottom line is Dal Law is a great program..</div><div>
    </div><div>Good luck, hunny:)</div>

Murried Bio
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This future employer will accept the LLB, that's a given. Anything else, it could be up in the air. I really just wanted some more perspective on it, because I don't think it'll matter but I want to look into it to make sure.

Thanks Paige! To be fair, my school kind of has that attitude too... but only because it's true ;)

Ideally I'd like to stay closer to home, but I need to get in somewhere first.
  • edited December 2011
    I think it depends on where you want to practice.  If you want to stay in Canada, I have no idea how Canadian firms feel about the LLB.

If you want to practice in the USA, I'd highly recommend you get a JD and consider applying to some American schools.  A friend of mine got an LLB and can't get a job in the US now because all of her interviewers keep asking her why she couldn't get into a JD program.  (They automatically assumed she couldn't get into a JD program.)
  • KatyRoseMKatyRoseM member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go to a law school near where you want to live.  Most employers want to hire someone local.  Most schools will offer you almost no help getting a job not in the local market. 

Many people will say go to the best ranked school you can.  While this is helpful, I would say balance it with the price.  At the moment students in the top 25 schools are having a hard time getting a job, and if they are lucky they have only 100k in debt.  Clearly this was not a good bet for them.  If you can go somewhere well ranked but would have to pay it all, its worth thinking about going somewhere less well ranked.  It depends what kind of law you want to do.

Lastly, the legal market is horrible right now, and is unlikely to change.  If its what you love go for it, if its something to do because you don't know what else to do or because you want a good paying job don't.  There are more new lawyers than jobs by a lot. 

This isn't meant to discourage you from following your dream, just make sure it really is your dream first. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Katy, I totally agree with you. But I'm very fortunate to not have to worry about looking for an articling position or a job after that, or even location of law school. I'm confident that it's what I want to go into, and I've been working in a law firm for a few years now to get some more practical experience.

Shoes, I don't have any interest in working in the States specifically. I'm pretty sure I want to stay in Canada, but the idea of international law intrigues me. I'm not sure if a JD would be better for that though, since an LLB is traditionally British. I don't think I want to go into that at all, but I also just don't want to shut the door on it completely, KWIM?
  • lmwilberlmwilber member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go with the one that will make you more universally employable and versatile in the long run. You never know where your path will lead, and it would suck to go thru law school and still be less (or not at all) employable. I'm assuming that the JD is more universal, so if the amount of time and money is the same (or about the same) I say go with the JD.

**Edit** A piece of unsolicited advice: When looking for schools, balance 3 things: Cost, Bar Passage Rate, and Job Placement Rate. Rank is for snobs, the law is the law. If you NEED to go to a top name school, then realize that you are paying for just that, a NAME. Go to school were you feel comfortable and have a good support system already established. Everything else will work itself out.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers LilySlim Fitness goals tickers
  • KatyRoseMKatyRoseM member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Its great you don't have to look for a job or look at location.  Also its really smart of you to work in the field before spending that much time and money on school.  Given that I would say get  a JD, its more likely to be accepted internationally. 

lmwilber is right about rank, it is just a thing used to show off.  However if you were trying to get a job its one of the things they look at.  A Harvard JD is very much like a State U JD (from what I've heard, I've obviously only gone to one law school) however the Harvard student has an easier time getting a job, at least much of the time. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards