Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Readings?

Can anyone fill me in on what the purpose of readings are? My FH wants to incorporate them into the wedding, but neither one of us understands what they are for, other than people have always had them in the weddings we have attended. And what would be some appropriate types of readings? poems, quotes, scriptures? Funny jokes? I have no clue when it comes to this
Wedding Countdown Ticker
156image 108image 48image RSVP Due 5/18
New Bio

Re: Readings?

• Options
    Really, you can have anything you want read.

I have heard:
    • scripture
    • passage from a favorite book (good one in Velveteen Rabbit)
    • parts of love letters
    • quotes from notable people in history.
  • Options
    It really depends on the kind of ceremony you're having.

They are necessary for religious ceremonies, but it isn't something that you have to do if you aren't going the religious route.

If there is something other than a reading that might better fit your style, you can go that way too.  I've done "ceremony music" in place of readings before as well.  Or I have seen some people go without readings.
  • Options
    usually done by someone who couldnt be as involved with the wedding for some reason or a special friend or family member would read out someting "special"
  • Options
    i'm glad you asked this because i was wondering the same thing! and now i know :) this is why i'm a lurker haha
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    i feel readings are a way to personalize your wedding, as well as a universal proclimation of emotions.  By reading, say, one of shakespeare's sonnets, you are sharing your idea of what love is to your fiancee and your audience...
    readings are really important to me, as both my fiancee and i are English majors... an easy way to find readings (and a fantastic book option!!) is a compilation titled 100 best Love poems... amazon should have it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards