Not Engaged Yet
Options

Am I being a selfish a**hole?

Let me preface this by saying that FI always has some new idea of what we need that is bigger or better than the last thing. He does this with jobs too. When he got his most recent job, it was the best job ever, he was so proud, and so happy with how much money he was making. FI recently got an offer to interview for a promotion within his company. This job would offer more money (maybe $20,000-$30,000) a year, it would have job security, and be a M-F manager position. He'll graduate in December with his Bachelors degree in business administration. His supervisors love him, and have always pushed for him to move up in the company. FI was the kind of person who NEVER wanted to leave our hometown. That was, until he saw the salary. This job would relocate us at a minimum of 4 hours away, but could possibly relocate up to 20 hours away, we would also have no chance to ever mo ve back to the area. Yes, he would have weekends off, but I'm a nurse and right now we both work night shift. If he took this position, we would only have 4 days off a month together, because I'd work every other weekend. Also, there's no guarantee I'd be able to get a better paying or even an equal paying job. The towns we would relocate to are small, in the middle of nowhere towns. I'm happy with my job now. Also, at his current job, FI will be getting a 20% pay raise over the next 5 years, which will amount to about n extra $10,000 a year. I'm happy here. We have family and friends here. My dad suffered a massive stroke last year and almost died. I'm scared if something happens again, I won't make it in time. Literally last week, FI couldn't stop talking about how excited he was to buy a house here and how great everything was going. In the end, he left it up to me to decide what we would do. I decided to stay here. Am I being selfish? I just can't justify moving to a boring town, hours away JUST for the money. The job would also separate use for the entire first year of our marriage, since he'd have to train in Florida for a year, and I'd have to stay here and work. Edit: I'm scared FI will always resent me. I can tell he's sad. But, to me, money isn't everything. What if we're unhappy if we moved? We'd be stuck.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Am I being a selfish a**hole?

• Options
    I dont think you are. If I were you and had the health issues happen with my father that alone would stop me from wanting to go. 

I dont think he will resent you. Explain to him your reasons, like you did on here. He would have to understand where your coming from.

Perhaps if this came up a year or 2 later it might be different out come for you 2. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think he should have told you to decide. The two of you should have discussed it and come to a conclusion together.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_am-i-being-a-selfish-ahole?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:4690cafd-374c-4a9c-90ce-056832624eb3Post:27ac7c33-76b9-45f4-a45a-c7dbc9c7c038">Re: Am I being a selfish a**hole?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think he should have told you to decide. The two of you should have discussed it and come to a conclusion together.
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

I agree, but he always likes to leave big decisions up to me because he says as long as I'm happy, he'll be happy.

I talked it out with my mom tonight and she agreed with me. We don't live together now, and us  getting married, and trying to get used to that and then being apart for the entire first year would be so hard on us.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I would talk to him more about it honestly. I understand the fear, I also work in the medical field but if FI found somewhere to work he wanted to work i would check out my options before I just shut him down.

But then again, I am a free spirit. I would probably pick up and move anywhere but I always keep enough in an account that I could fly home incase something happens. You run the risk of not being able to get there "in time" working at a hospital in general. Ive missed important events because my family has not been able to get me on the phone (in the middle of a code) or I could not get relief right away.

I know when I was dating a guy that lived out of state, I got my liscense to practice in his state where he was at and went on a weekend program so I had a split commute 6 hours away. It worked out well for us. I had college and my main job here, and worked a full time job and stayed with him there. It did not contribute to our split, we just had different goals and are still friends today.

So it is possible. But I would have a long conversation with your FI to make sure he is ok with your decisions.

• Options
    This is a tough situation. I agree with Beth that you need to talk this out more together. I do see your side of this but is it just all about the money for him or is this part of a career goal for him? If this position is something he has tried to work towards I wouldn't want him to throw it away. If not and he'll ultimately be just as happy in his current position then it doesn't seem like it's necessary to disrupt your life now if it's not something you're ready for.

Also I know it would be hard to spend more time away from each other but people do it and it can work. BF and I have zero days off together. It sucks but unfortunately it's something we have to deal with.

You guys should talk about this again- I really wish you good luck with your decision!

• Options
    I agree you two should have talked it out together, but I understand the whole him leaving it up to you thing cause my bf is like that too. Even if he does want to leave it up to you I've found that sitting down and talking it out is the best because both of you can see eachother's reasons and come to a conclusion together.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    My brother was the same way(extremely career driven) and moved from the midwest to Utah chasing a prestigous job which he was successful at, but was far away from all his friends and family.  After 4 years, the job isn't all he expected and the people in his community are nice, but different, and he just hasn't made the really strong friendships with people like he has in the past.  
    He just took a new job for a 25% salary cut in order to move back to the Midwest and have a more satisfying personal life living in an area he likes that is close to friends/family. You couln't have told him before he moved away, that the personal life thing would turn out to be more important in the end.  But it has.  
    From what you say in your email, it sounds like you both will be happiest staying put.  but, your boyfriend has to believe that too and some people have to live the disappointments in order to understand/appreciate what they have.  He's barely out of school and they already want to promote him?  sounds like he's pretty good at what he does.  Maybe there's a good chance another opportunity will arise in his field that won't take you two so far away and force you to sacrifice so much time together.   
    Jobs and money can be lost, companies go under...all the material stuff doesn't matter if you don't have strong meaningful relationships with your friends and family.  
    I don't think you're being an a*hole.  Many successful couples "balance each other out" in some respects.  It's not being an a*hole to remind someone you love of what THEY have said they think is important when they're overcome with excitement and can't think straight. :)
  • Options
    You need to sit down and talk to him.  Especially if you're worried he's going to resent you for a decision that you made about your lives together.  Maybe he won't resent you now, but he could resent you in the future.

Bring it up by saying that you're uncomfortable that you've made such a huge decision without the two of you working on it together.  Find out what his goals are.  Maybe it isn't the money.  Maybe he really just wants the two of you to have a better life and thinks that in the long run, a year apart isn't going to damage your relationship as much as you think.

A friend of mine got married the day before her husband went to boot camp.  They spent the first four years of their marriage living apart because he was deployed/stationed elsewhere and she couldn't pack up the kids and go.  They've had their rough patches, but they're working on it.

My parents decided together when I was six and my brother was three to pack up the car and our house and move cross country for my mom's career.  My entire extended family still lives in CA, while we're in VA.  But that was a decision that they made together.

Tell him all of your concerns.  Hear out what he wants.  Tell him what you want.  And you guys will find the right solution for you.  Not just for you, but for both of you.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards