Not Engaged Yet

Christmas Gift Ideas?

On the radio this morning they mentioned that there are only 25 days until Christmas, and I have to admit I freaked out a little bit. Because we live across the country from our families and will be traveling there for the Holidays, I normally just ship everything there ahead of time and do lots of wrapping when we arrive!

Anyways, I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas on what to get my boyfriend's parents. We normally get them restaurant gift certificates and last year we sent them a case of wine from Washington, but I was wondering what some of you have gotten for your BF, FI, H's parents? I've asked my boyfriend, but of course he says "I don't know." Any thoughts are most appreciated!

Re: Christmas Gift Ideas?

• edited December 2011
    I created and bought all of the items for a spa gift basket for his mom this year - bath salts, lotion, nice towels, candles, and I think a loufa or something.  I had also bought an egyptian glass perfume bottle.  Andy got her an ott-lite (she sews and knits).
  • edited December 2011
    I've gotten BF's parents a lot of home decor items. personalizationmall.com (<---clicky) has a lot of items that can be monogramed. I've done a nice doormat with their name on it, a puzzle with the image being a family picture, individual water bottles or coffee travel mugs with their names.

I also love giving people fresh fruit items from Harry & David. My grandparent's get pears every year and they love them.

You could also get a nice package of steaks or other meats from Omaha Steaks.

Have you ever done a family photobook with pictures from throughout the years? It could be a wonderful coffee table item for them. I usually make them through Shutterfly.
  • peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    ExFI's family used to make up lists and so we just bought off of those.  Lame, in my opinion.

This year I'm doing Kindle covers for my mom and grandpa, and a spa basket for my grandma.  My dad's a mystery still.  But Pinterest always has a bajillion great ideas!

I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much, ladies! Those are all great ideas and I actually think I have something to give them now!
  • lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I love giving gifts. I'll listen to what people casually mention they like or want all year long- and then I'll run home and write it down on a spreadsheet. So I've been able to get them pretty personal gifts for the last couple years.

For a generic gift...I really like Ohmaha Steak Company. :)
    Oooh- I also love personalized family calendars that have the family's birthdays preprinted in them.

And Amazon always has fun things to browse through- http://www.amazon.com/gp/gift-central/ref=cm_gift_button_gc_lp

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • wink0erinwink0erin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Last year I gave BF's mom an angel figurine and his dad a cutting board. It was my first Christmas with them even though it was my second with BF. BF gave them a Roku so they could stream movies to their tv.

This year I made them a photobook from Shutterfly of BF and I on our various roadtrips over the past year... I included our trips to the New River Gorge area (which is a little over an hour from where I live and absolutely gorgeous (edit... no pun intended =X)) our trip to Virginia Beach over spring break... which was in March and freezing, lol. And our trip to Red River Gorge area in Kentucky. We enjoy nature. I got the same book for my parents and grandparents becuase it was honestly my only idea this year.

We are considering getting his mom a Kindle since she has talked about it for over a year now, not sure about his dad or my parents. I've toyed with the idea of getting my mom a Kindle too, since she loves reading, but she is always insisting that I not get her anything, so who knows.

• wink0erinwink0erin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_christmas-gift-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:4f9b8a81-ceae-4e67-a727-f5ac6f19e0faPost:e72964f5-6a96-41cd-9dc3-00e4d0f09ae7">Re: Christmas Gift Ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I love giving gifts. I'll listen to what people casually mention they like or want all year long- and then I'll run home and write it down on a spreadsheet. So I've been able to get them pretty personal gifts for the last couple years. For a generic gift...I really like Ohmaha Steak Company. :) Oooh- I also love personalized family calendars that have the family's birthdays preprinted in them. And Amazon always has fun things to browse through- <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/gift-central/ref=cm_gift_button_gc_lp" rel="nofollow">http://www.amazon.com/gp/gift-central/ref=cm_gift_button_gc_lp</a>
    Posted by lunarsongbird[/QUOTE]

I LOVE SPREADSHEETS! I think I might have to steal your idea... when it gets close to bdays/holidays I always forget what people like.

• jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having the exact same problem! I've always just given them a tin of homemade cookies, but since I'm actually going to be with them for part of Christmas, I want to get them a little something more.

I have plenty of ideas for his Mom, but no clue what to get his Dad. I can't get them something together like a restaurant gift card because they don't like each other (yep, and they're still married/live together).

Thanks for the ideas ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards