Not Engaged Yet

Doing Some Good Deeds

I just got a totally new life experience today! I was walking to my car from my physical therapist's office and there was a car parked in the spot over from mine (there was a vacant parking space between the two cars) and I noticed there was broken glass all over the pavement. I thought someone maybe broke a bottle. But then I realized - the car's window was smashed in!

I couldn't do nothing at that point, so I called 911 and said I needed to report a possible robbery. They transferred me to the local police department. I told them what happened, and they asked me to wait at the scene until a patrol car arrived. The cop took my statement and all my contact information. It was kind of exciting but sad at the same time. I felt terrible for the car owner, who I didn't even know! I just remembered that last summer my BFF had her window smashed and her GPS stolen while she was in her office, and didn't discover it until her workday was over. She probably would have appreciated a good samaritan and I hope this person does, too.

In Judaism, doing a good deed is called a mitzvah. So share one that you've done lately, I feel like hearing some happy stories! =)

image 170 Invited (holy crap!)

image 98 are coming to party!

image 29 have other plans

image 43 need to respond!

Daisypath Wedding tickers

"Bside - You're just too sexy for your own good" ~ leia1979

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg

Re: Doing Some Good Deeds

• alanna91alanna91 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good for you! It always feels good to be a good samaritan :). By calling in the report much sooner than she would have, I wonder if there's a better chance they'll find the person who did it?

Also, mitzvah as in "Bar/Bat Mitzvah"?

As for my good deed of the day, made it so a percentage of the profit I make from one of the dresses I'm selling on ebay will go to a charity. I really wanted to donate them for free to one of those programs that gives prom dresses to a girl in need, but I've found myself in a tight money situation so it's the best I can do.
    White Knot
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_doing-good-deeds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:5347895d-bf59-48dc-bdea-b4087dbb0176Post:315a27e9-80ad-4f79-a08d-35c1ff28ec52">Re: Doing Some Good Deeds</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good for you! It always feels good to be a good samaritan :). By calling in the report much sooner than she would have, <strong>I wonder if there's a better chance they'll find the person who did it?</strong> <strong>Also, mitzvah as in "Bar/Bat Mitzvah"?</strong> As for my good deed of the day, made it so a<strong> percentage of the profit I make from one of the dresses I'm selling on ebay will go to a charity.</strong> I really wanted to donate them for free to one of those programs that gives prom dresses to a girl in need, but I've found myself in a tight money situation so it's the best I can do.
    Posted by alanna91[/QUOTE]

1. I really, really hope so!

2. Yes and no. <em>Mitzvah</em> means "commandment", meaning the 620 commandments of the Torah. A child who becomes a bar or bat mitzvah (son or daughter of the Torah) is officially a Jew, and will live their lives as Jewish adults. However, <em>mitzvah</em> can also mean the fulfillment of a moral deed or human kindness. The plural is <em>mitzvot</em>.

3. That's an excellent one! I like those prom dress charities. They're wonderful. I've donated a few formal dresses myself.

"True love = I still love you even though we hang out all the time and most other people would be tired of each other already" ~ flygirlmeg
  • edited December 2011
    I donated my hair to locks of love a few weeks ago.  It's not much, but it makes me happy that someone will love to have my hair on their head and it gives me something to think about as I get annoyed when it won't do what I tell it to.  I just think "well at least someone likes it!"  And then I start to like it again too. 

I would be so grateful to someone if they helped me out the way you did.  And remember karma is not just a b!tch, good things will come your way!  Good out, means good in. 
    Daisypath Vacation tickers 4 Leaf Clover
  • jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't think of any good deeds I've done lately. I have paid for people's small purchases a couple of times when they were short or had an issue with their credit card or something. I'm also hardwired (being from the south) to hold doors for everyone.

Your story reminded my though, my car was broken into in college. I came out from the gym and there was a cop at my car, which was surrounded by broken glass. Someone from the nearby dorms had called them when they saw someone break my car window. They were able to give them a description, but as far as I know they never caught them. It was nice that the cops were already there, though. It sucks to come into that situation unaware (I've had that happen too).
  • edited December 2011
    Sparrow - hey, a Locks of Love donation is not a small thing! I have plenty of friends who have done that and they have said it was such a gratifying experience. I've tried to do that, but my hair gets split ends if it gets too long - not really good.

jorja - I wish I could be brave like that, pay for people's purchases, but I'm too shy to ever speak up! I was at Starbuck's one day and in front of me was a young man in Army fatigues. The woman at the counter was wrapping up her purchase; when the barista asked her if there was anything else she wanted, she said, "Yes, I want to pay for anything this young man orders", referring to the soldier. The soldier was flabbergasted by this woman's generosity and it brought tears to my eyes. I couldn't believe what I'd just witnessed. I've been forever looking for my own opportunity to do that - so I respect you for doing it!

• leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Sparrow - locks of love is such a great cause. I don't think I could do it because 1) I'm vain, and 2) my poor hair is in pretty bad shape. I give you much respect for doing that!

My mitzvah for the week was handing over the $20 bill I found outside the bathroom at work to the security guard. I don't know if it made it back to its owner, though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards