Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Ideas for a Small Wedding

Hi everyone!

I am new to this board, recently engaged. I am posting because I am lookingfor ideas as to the best small wedding ideas. It will be a VERY small wedding as both of our fathers passed when we were children and my mom died late last year. He has no siblings and I have only my two brothers (and their families). I do not want a large wedding (family and close friends) as it will be a bittersweet day for me - but I still want it to be classic. I live on the near the ocean, so I am tending towards a wedding near the the water or on a sailboat. Does anyone have any other ideas for a tiny wedding? Thanks!

Re: Ideas for a Small Wedding

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ideas-small-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:d0f176f3-9e04-4dd8-9245-5037e897bdecPost:e526a5b4-c819-4584-bdd6-edbdfce58d5c">Ideas for a Small Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone! I am new to this board, recently engaged. I am posting because I am lookingfor ideas as to the best small wedding ideas. It will be a VERY small wedding as both of our fathers passed when we were children and my mom died late last year. He has no siblings and I have only my two brothers (and their families). I do not want a large wedding (family and close friends) as it will be a bittersweet day for me - but I still want it to be classic. I live on the near the ocean, so I am tending towards a wedding near the the water or on a sailboat. Does anyone have any other ideas for a tiny wedding? Thanks!
    Posted by SailorGirlKate[/QUOTE]

My brother and SIL rented a lovely boat, complete with a small galley kitchen for their wedding that include just parents and siblings.  They also hired a caterer to be on board.

We boarded the boat and sailed out of Boston harbor.  They found an inlet that was lovely, and the captain stopped the boat.  Brother and SIL stood on the bow of the boat and were married.

Then we all enjoyed a lovely meal,  drinks, gift opening and continued sailing for another couple of hours, and then back into the harbor and done.  It was a very lovely wedding, and I have to say, their wedding picture was gorgeous.

SIL didn't wear the PPD white dress, but rather a pretty sundress and I don't remember them doing a cake cutting either.  But I do remember it being a very lovely wedding.

ETA:  Also try posting this on a local Boston area board.  They can help with specifics like this, where most of us on this international board can't.  GL
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2010
    Welcome to the board!  I think a small wedding would be wonderful.

If your home is big enough, an at-home ceremony and catered dinner (or luncheon) might be the way to go.  If there is not enough space at home, then you might consider a favorite restaurant where one (or both) of you is known by the management.  Ask about having a private party for X number of people and see what they can offer.  Other ideas: a favorite B&B or a small museum nearby.  

You may want to hire a professional photographer for the special day.  No matter how small, you will enjoy having the photos in the future.

Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards