Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Blue Orchids (cost?)

I think I've finally found 'the' flower that's completely won me over: blue orchids.  I was curious if anyone had any general idea of how much they ran in bouquets (our colors are kelly green/navy blue and I figured some sort of white flower and a greenish flower would tie everything in and give that extra special splash of purple).  Does anyone know if I'm looking at a flower that's on the ridiculously high end of the spectrum?  Something in between? 

I'm a bit far out from our wedding date, so I'm not officially working with a florist yet (otherwise I'd just ask them for a quote).  I just don't want to fall head over heels for a flower that's impossible to get/super expensive.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Blue Orchids (cost?)

• Idk the cost, but orchids are expensive in the first place. But those are beautiful flowers!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I should probably also check when they're in bloom, since that'll probably make some sort of difference. 

Thank you though!  We're trying to be cost conscious and I don't want to break the bank on flowers!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • m tullim tulli member
    First Comment
    I think they are a spring flower.  they were in the stores this spring.  I looked at the blue but it was more expensive than the other colors.  They are beautiful.  
    85image 71image 14image
  • I had orchids in my hair for our wedding.  I got three on pins.  Cost?  $70.  Orchids are expensive.  I can't say how much they would be in a bouquet format, though.  You can always just walk into a florist and ask.  You don't necessarily need to "be working with them" yet.
  • I feel like a moron -- I just found the 'Flowers' board and this probably would have been better to post there.  But, regardless, thank you for the input, ladies!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our colors are the same as yours, we opted to go with hydrangeas since they are more cost effective but I do love orchids.
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • I was in love with the blue orchids also and when I went to a meeting with the florist he informed me they were a dyed flower.  The only true blue orchids grow in Thailand and are very expensive and are almost extinct.  I was really bummed, but I too switched  to the hydrangeas.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_blue-orchids-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:d146a2b7-f4d1-4154-a112-c68ccd9f3d2aPost:a9cc3705-8ba1-46c0-9fb0-0e0aca088d4f">Re: Blue Orchids (cost?)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Our colors are the same as yours, we opted to go with hydrangeas since they are more cost effective but I do love orchids.
    Posted by Madisonpenny[/QUOTE]

Your flowers are absolutely BEAUTIFUL.  I'm starting to think something like blue and green hydrangeas and white lilies might be the way to go. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_blue-orchids-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:d146a2b7-f4d1-4154-a112-c68ccd9f3d2aPost:997e7693-0d42-49e9-b32f-60958c230823">Re: Blue Orchids (cost?)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was in love with the blue orchids also and when I went to a meeting with the florist he informed me they were a dyed flower.  The only true blue orchids grow in Thailand and are very expensive and are almost extinct.  I was really bummed, but I too switched  to the hydrangeas.
    Posted by dbear79[/QUOTE]

I found that out about the dye too:(  It's unfortuante, because they're so beautiful.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am getting married April 2013 I got the quote from my florist. Using blue orchids, calla Lilly's, and some other flowers for filler. But my bouquet is 100 orchids, and for 6 boquets, 8 bouts, 2 corsages, petals, centerpieces and arch decoration it was only 1062!!! I'm using alot of orchids and I'm in southern California. HTH
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • I think it really depends on the florist you go too.  The florist I am using told me that orchids, comparably, are not really an expensive flower.  They are gorgeous and I hope that however it works, you get what you want, even if you can only (due to budget or other complications) incorporate one blue orchid in the center as a focal point...or have one in your hair..I think you should.  :)  Do what you want within your budget.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards