Not Engaged Yet
Options

Food

Ok, so now that I have your attention, I need to use you. 

What kind of food would you like to eat at a 1pm Bridal Shower in cold, harsh February? 

There is a somewhat large guest list (30ish people.)  So while everyone will have a seat, we just cannot fit everyone at a table inside.  Thus, I am leaning towards heavy appetizers - finger sandwiches, dips, etc. 

What do you love?
What do you hate? 
What do think is just cheap? 

I am going to take on the task of making a cookie bar with all heart shaped cookies. 

Sorry if this post doesn't make sense.  I just got home from getting 8 vials of blood drawn and I am still feeling loopy. 

Re: Food

• Options
    Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep food gets my attention.

-chicken salad, tuna salad, hot roast beef sandwiches
    - Any kinds of dips and bread or chips is a good idea but I don't know any recipes.  I like the spinach and artichoke, crab and cheese, buffalo chicken...
    -spanakopita
    -mini meatballs
    -bruschetta
    -parmesan crusted chicken tenders
    -deviled eggs

I can't think of anything I hate.  And maybe a some of those would be too "cheap" if your having a fancier type party.  But I never say no a mini hot dog.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ok, I've done a little more research now.  

Shrimp Spread

Creamy Dill Cucumber Toasties

Balsamic Bruchetta

Figs with Goat Cheese, Walnuts and Bacon

Dried Cherries, Pecans and Rosemary Brie en Croute (or some variation)

Broccoli Chicken Roll

Artichoke and Crabmeat Triangles in puff pastry
     (No picture)

Clam dip in a bread bowl
    (No picture)

Drinks
    Mimosas
    Yeungling (bride's favorite beer, not available in CA)
    White wine
    Juices
    Coffee
    Water

• Options
    paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Yum! When and where? I'm there!

I did teriyaki beef skewers for New Year's Eve. Very tasty and they could be served room temp without killing anyone.

How about goat cheese and marinara dip? Pretty self explanatory but I think I did have a recipe somewhere.

Queso? Velveeta cheese product and Rotella tomatos - YUM. Put it in a small crock pot to keep warm.

Blue cheese stuffed dates

One note on bruschetta-type stuff - they will get either soggy or hard and stale pretty quickly. They don't make it long on a buffet-style set up.

I'm there for the cookies.

• Options
    katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That looks delicious. Can I come over and eat at all now??? PLEASE!?!??!

My first thought was finger-Panini sandwiches. Finger sandwiches (totally lunch appropriate) and grilled, WARM for cold February months.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mmmmm...I'm not hungry at all but you're making my mouth water. I love the idea of heavy apps (I'm biased though, that's what we're doing for our wedding). Also, Yeungling is one of my favorite beers too! So good!

Before I saw your ideas, I was going to suggest different varieties of warm and cold sandwiches. All of your ideas look awesome.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    K2snowbunnyK2snowbunny member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Stuffed mushrooms!!!!!!!
    I love this receipe I got from FI's grandma.  I make it everytime we have people over.

Combine cooked/browned hot sausage with cream cheese in a bowl.  Spoon mixture into medium sized mushrooms caps.  Bake at 350F for 15-20 or until mushrooms are soft.  I usually use one roll of Jimmy Dean hot sausage to one block of cream cheese.   You can prep it ahead of time and bake before serving. 

imageIAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely try to do something warm. Mini quiche?

Also, I am glad to see some vegetarian items in your list above. It sucks to go to events like this and end up not getting enough to eat. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I second desert on it being nice to include vegetarian stuffs.

I love love LOVE me some bruchetta. And stuffed mushrooms (of the veggie variety). And also tomato & cheese paninis, and then.............................. just about anything.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if crab is vegetarian but the crab stuffed mushrooms are pretty good.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, no, crab is not really a vegetable.... more of an animal.... but I am sure it's a good recipe Ana.

Wink

I've had some awesome stuffed mushrooms that had cheese and olives or something. I also seriously screwed up a stuffed mushroom recipe by marinating the mushrooms in balsamic vinegar and stuffing them with bleu cheese. DO NOT TRY THAT! It's gross and terribly salty.

I was just expressing that it's awesome that vegetarian stuff is mixed in Mutley's potential menu so that there's something good to eat if somebody in the group prefers not to eat meat.

So, yay for accommodation!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My family leans to the vegetarian side, sooo...  Haha. 

We are also going to add in a vegetable display. 

I was thinking of doing the bruschetta as more of a dip, so the toast pieces do not get soggy. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Here's some recipes that you could try (and are easy):

Jarlsburg Dip

2 cups shredded Jarlsberg Cheese
    2 cups finely diced sweet yellow onion
    1 cup light mayo

Mix ingredients in mixing bowl, then pour mixture until pretty glass oven-safe serving bowl. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes, or until edges of top being to brown. Serve with toasted slices of fresh baguette or tortilla chips.

Sausage Balls

1 package ground sausage (Jimmy Deans or Bob Evans is best)
    1 cup Bisquick
    1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Mix ingredients well. Roll sausage balls and place in bottom of greased (using cooking spray works best) 9x13 baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, occasionally opening oven and rolling balls (yes, I really did say that) around so that all sides are cooked evenly. They are finished when meatballs are browned through the center. Serve with toothpicks.

Roasted Cherry Tomatoes

1 package cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
    1-2 cups red wine (merlot is best, but cab will work too)
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    2 rosemary sprigs, minced
    2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, seperated
    Fresh black pepper for grinding
    Fresh sea salt for grinding

Mix red wine, garlic, rosemary, and 1 tbsp olive oil in tupperware container, shake well. Add tomatoes, seal container well, and shake gently to mix. Refrigerate overnight, occasionally gently shaking container to mix ingredients. Next day, drain tomatoes in pasta strainer. Place tomatoes inside up in bottom of glass greased (olive oil spray works best) circular dish (I use a basic pie dish). Gather remaining garlic and rosemary from bottom of strainer and sprinkle over top, add fresh rosemary if you wish. Grind sea salt and black pepper over top to taste, and drizzle remaining olive oil over top of tomatoes. Bake at 375 degrees for 40-50 minutes. They will be done when edges begin to char slightly, tomatoes will come out soft and sort of shriveled. Serve directly from baking dish with toothpicks.

Another favorite is bruschetta. The crab dip sounds amazing! :)

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

• Options
    babybchbumbabybchbum member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Make cocktail meatballs. They are SUPER EASY and delicious.

You need 1 lg back of meatballs (from sam's, BJs or Costco... super walmart even sells them) 2 jars grape jelly, 4 jars chili sauce. put 1 jar jelly and 2 jars chili sauce at bottom of crockpot, them place meatballs and then rest of chili sauce and grape jelly. Put Crock  pot on med and it will melt the jelly to make a wonderful sauce.
  • Options
    hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I always like to use the crockpot for soup. I like soup when it's cold. A nice potato or cheese soup might be nice.

Edit: I LOOOOOOVVVEEE figs right now, so I'm cursing you for putting those on there. Jerk. ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mmmmm, smoked cheddar cheese soup sounds AMAZABALLS right now...

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

• Options
    PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This all sounds wicked! I want to come to your party, Mutley!

I dunno how you feel about asparagus but I made prosciutto wrapped asparagus for a party the other weekend and it was a HIT!

Ingrediants :10 slices prosciutto, halved lengthways 20 (about 2 bunches) asparagus spears, woody ends trimmed diagonally Olive oil sprayDirections:
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).  Wrap prosciutto slices around 2 or 3 asparagus spears. Arrange wrapped spears in a single layer on a medium baking sheet. (Wrap cheese of your choice on inside of prosciutto for added yummy!) Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until asparagus is tender.

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sigh.  I love proscuitto.  Alas, it is on my pregnant do not eat list.  LIKE EVERYTHING F-ING ELSE I LOVE! 

A warm soup would be fabulous right now, especially smoked cheddar cheese.  Forget waiting till February.

Thanks, ladies.
  • Options
    MattsAnnieMattsAnnie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so into the stuffed mushrooms. I always get the big ones, pick out the stems and put a spoonful of cream cheese in. (Either plain or chive). Then wrap it in either fila dough or a rolled out croissant pastry. brush with a little egg to hold it together, super good.
    also along with the mimosas, try mixing pineapple juice and grenadine with the champagne! It is my favorite drink ever!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards