Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Would this be weird?

Ok, so my fiancee is a drummer and he has lots of friends who are drummers.  He thinks it would be cool to have steel drums at our ceremony (and he knows people who will play them).  I am open to this suggesstion, the only problem is that our wedding is about as far from a beach as you can get.  So I guess my question is will steel drums be weird in a fancy(ish) church wedding?  Should we just stick with an organist?  Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Would this be weird?

• hi there...Q. 1..are you comfortable with the idea..2nd...no offence only drums wud be such noisey event..u cud instead av a band on a whole to make things a little more serene...but at da end of the day its u who matter...wat ever you decide girl hope you have a great time...
  • My FI works the media room at his church, and he hates recording with "real" drums.

You cannot control the volume, unless its an electric. Every time he records drums, they are all you can hear (important if you have any other instruments/vocalists accompanying), and the sound quality is poor.

If you are having the ceremony recorded, I would not advise steel drums.
  • I think steel drums would be along the same lines as bagpipes ... nice for outside the church (to play you in and/or out), loud as heck for the inside.
  • I love steel drums.. any way to have them during a cocktail hour at the reception?? I think they'd be wonderful then!
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_would-this-weird?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:d8aaa2f8-bc46-489f-82c7-95832d14d0cePost:ace65f15-b71a-45b4-9221-17605c045dc6">Re: Would this be weird?</a>:
    [QUOTE]hi there...Q. 1..are you comfortable with the idea..2nd...no offence only drums wud be such noisey event..u cud instead av a band on a whole to make things a little more serene...but at da end of the day its u who matter...wat ever you decide girl hope you have a great time...
    Posted by aloyz[/QUOTE]

Holy Bejeezus.  Can you possibly use any more text speak here?  I really, really hate text typing~it's looks ridiculous.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • I guess it depends on how big your church is, how many people you will have. My church is small and we'll be having about 200 people, so our bagpiper will be somewhat absorbed.

What kind of theme are you having for the reception (if you're having a "theme")?   I definitely like PPs idea of having steel drums for the cocktail hour. If I got to a reception and there were steel drums playing, I'd be SO ready to get the party on!!

Crosswalk
  • I find it hard to believe that, depending on your church, that they would even allow it.  Have they given you permission?

Other than that, outside the church or during cocktails sounds like a more appropriate time for this.  I love steel drums but they are loud and in a church with a potentially cavernous ceiling I don't think it would sound particulary pleasing.
  • Thanks for all of the advice.  I never considered the noise factor.  I don't know how loud they would be, the church is pretty big and we are having 200+ so it probably would not be too terrible.  The church will allow it, the priest likes to have different types of musicians in the ceremonies and stuff.  We don't really have a reception theme, but it is not too formal so the cocktail hour would probably work.  I guess I have some more thinking to do...
  • If the church is pretty big, noise might be even more of a factor.  Big churches tend to have impressive acoustics.  All the people will absorb the sound a bit, but probably not enough.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Personally, I would not care for that at the ceremony (and I think noise would be a factor) but I think it would be a great idea either 1. outside afterward when you are making your getaway or 2. as you enter the reception site with the wedding party.  It would be totally fun then! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards