Not Engaged Yet

Manufactured diamonds?

My boyfriend and I are "mutually engaged," just without the formalities.  He wants to be able to get me a nice ring before we make it official.  I don't want him to spend too much money on it, it really isn't that big of a deal to me.  My mother has a tiny chip of a diamond as her engagement ring, and I've always loved it (My dad has recently upgraded it, but she refuses to wear the new ring as her e-ring).

I recently came across Diamond Nexus Labs... the prices are pretty incredible.  I know that they aren't "real" diamonds, but how do they stand up to well... wearing them forever?

Does anyone know something about this site?

Re: Manufactured diamonds?

• edited December 2011
    so weird.  I was actually talking to my BF about this just recently.  I was sick one day and I watched a 60 min. rerun about those diamonds.  I then researched it for about three hours.  They are just man made diamonds and many professionals can not tell the diff. much cheaper and, if it matters, no way the diamons could be considered a "blood diamond".  There is much controversy as to which diamonds really are or are not anymore.  There are only three places they recommended and the Lexus lab was one of them.  The problem is that not all jewlrs carry them and sizes can vry and are not easy to come by but if you are not interested in a larger solitare, it is perfect.  Anyway, if you google man-made diamonds or manuf. diamonds, you should be able to find more info. when I did it i even found the 60 min. story.  It was old.Probably around the time the movie came out because it had clips of that in it.
  • anskaggsanskaggs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's definitely another advantage I was thinking of.  I told my bf that I don't care if I have to keep my promise ring, I want to make sure that i don't have a conflict diamond.

I just don't think that I could live with a ring constantly on my finger if I was worried about if people died for it.  A piece of jewelry is so not worth it.
  • edited December 2011
    BF and I agreed about this as well and we're getting moissanite rings. Moissanite is manufactured as well but it's the 2nd hardest substance next to diamonds so it's much more durable than any of the other diamond simulants. Just have to make sure they're certified Charles & Colvard because they might be scams otherwise! Some big chains like Helzberg sells them, but you can find cheaper ones at authorized internet stores. Good luck!
  • PandaBurrPandaBurr member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go with Moissanite or Asha sims. Diamond Nexus Labs is a scam. It's just CZ. It's questionable if it even has the sapphire coating that they claim to have. I personally have moissanite and I lourve it.
  • pinkpinotpinkpinot member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nexus Diamond Labs is a TOTAL scam and actually pricey.  Do not waste your money.  I'd go with a gemstone instead.

http://betterthandiamond.com/answers/questions/31/What+about+Diamond+Nexus+Labs+-+what+is+their+product%3F++Lab+grown+diamond%3F
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • pinkpinotpinkpinot member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_manufactured-diamonds?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9283a1ad-2dfc-4fd5-bae8-68c262dbae54Post:2407ccfb-6537-417b-8098-dfc967585dd0">Re: Manufactured diamonds?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's definitely another advantage I was thinking of.  I told my bf that I don't care if I have to keep my promise ring, I want to make sure that i don't have a conflict diamond. I just don't think that I could live with a ring constantly on my finger if I was worried about if people died for it.  A piece of jewelry is so not worth it.
    Posted by anskaggs[/QUOTE]

What about a conflict free diamond?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    If you are worried about diamonds, google the Kimberly process.  Most chain jewelers, bluenile, and whiteflash only sell conflict free diamonds.  If you are concerned ask.

• edited December 2011
    I showed my bf info about mossanite and just said "hey I thought this was interesting you might want to take a look, not trying to tell you what I want or that I want a ring now or anything just that we've been talking about it and you might be interested to see this... his response was "Well you know I will pick out something nice to show and announce our love…you don’t have to worry about that!  You'll never know when though, so you might as well go ahead and give me your size so we can get that out of the way too "

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards