Not Engaged Yet
Options

Love Jesus, Save Money?

(This thread is not meant to offend anyone; I'm just looking for others' thoughts)

H and I had dinner out last night and I noticed a chalkboard sign in front of the restaurant:  "Sunday Special:  Save 10% with church bulletin" or something like that.  I asked H about it after we sat down and he said that a lot of businesses around here do that (I haven't noticed it before) and that they mean any church.

Of course, my immediate response was to start asking questions.  What if I showed up with a bulletin from a mosque, temple, or synangogue?  What if I created my own Humanist "church" out of my house and presented that bulletin?  Would I have gotten my salad for slightly cheaper?

H insists that it's just a way to draw some of the after-chuch lunch crowd and that I'm just overthinking things (who, me?  Never!).  He may be right.  After all, if there had been a marathon in town and they offered 10% off to anybody with a race bib, I wouldn't have questioned the implications of that.  I'm just not sure how I feel about it.  I'm not angry about it or anything, but I'm wondering if there ARE implications to question.

So what do YOU think?  Do businesses in your area do this?  Do they honor religions outside of Christianity?  Share your knowledge and opinions with me!

Re: Love Jesus, Save Money?

• Options
    I have never heard of any business doing this in my area. I also don't know how I would feel about it if I did see a business do this. Like you I would be questioning if they are choosing a specific religion. 
  • Options
    I've never noticed anything like this near where I live. Not for church, at least. 

When I do the Avon Walk in the city, a lot of shops will give us walkers a discount along the route and I've always appreciated it. 

On one hand, I think it's nice of them to do. But it also kind of irritates me because I don't go to church so I would never get to enjoy that 10% off hahaha

• Options
    I never heard of business doing that in my area.  I would wonder too if they would discriminate against other types of religions.  I would hope not.

Anniversary

• Options
    I've never heard of that, but I think I'm of the same mind as your DH. They are using that as a ploy to get more people in the restaurant. My guess is that 'church' is a catch-all word for 'Sunday service' and not to be strictly read as 'you only get a discount if you believe in Jesus.

Also, this is probably a good place for me to vent about the sign I saw this weekend. We were driving through WV and there was a sign on the side of the road that said 'Mary was pro-life. Thank God.' I'm a pro-life Christian and something about that sign rubbed me all kinds of wrong.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    I'm with you, this rubs me the wrong way. I also wouldn't have a problem with them offerings a discount to race competitors, but it seems odd to offer a discount to church-goers. 

I remember going to some restaurant in the middle of nowhere in PA once a few years ago (I was a camp counselor nearby). The menu had quotes from the bible on every page. I thought it was really weird and never went back.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My instant question would be "does it need to be a current bulliten?  What if I got it visiting a friend in Europe and saved it because it's from her kid's confirmation?"  
    I french with my man
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_love-jesus-save-money?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:9469a92b-e831-474d-9747-6bfe8f8d26e2Post:359b1ced-8879-435f-9801-e4fae20f8534">Re: Love Jesus, Save Money?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My instant question would be "does it need to be a current bulliten?  What if I got it visiting a friend in Europe and saved it because it's from her kid's confirmation?"  
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

Hahaha.  I assumed it had to be a bulletin from the same day (which would be a problem if you were Jewish, because then you would have one from the day before), but the sign didn't specify.  Bring an old one and raise hell.
  • Options
    I don't really think it discriminates against non church goers.  I'm sure it's just a marketing ploy to bring in Sunday brunch/lunch people.  I've seen restaurants near by theaters say bring in your playbill for discount on after show drinks and food.

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_love-jesus-save-money?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9469a92b-e831-474d-9747-6bfe8f8d26e2Post:ae8f091b-62da-4556-be57-9d9bfc242fcf">Re: Love Jesus, Save Money?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never noticed anything like this near where I live. Not for church, at least.  When I do the Avon Walk in the city, a lot of shops will give us walkers a discount along the route and I've always appreciated it.  On one hand, I think it's nice of them to do. But it also kind of irritates me because I don't go to church so I would never get to enjoy that 10% off hahaha
    Posted by rdr716[/QUOTE]

<div>Just to play devil's advocate, would you be annoyed if you WEREN'T walking in the Avon walk and weren't able to take advantage of those discounts? I don't think people should be more annoyed by this than any other random discount.</div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_love-jesus-save-money?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:9469a92b-e831-474d-9747-6bfe8f8d26e2Post:3f72da92-6c01-4746-8972-faa83822fc3d">Re: Love Jesus, Save Money?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't really think it discriminates against non church goers.  I'm sure it's just a marketing ploy to bring in Sunday brunch/lunch people.  I've seen restaurants near by theaters say bring in your playbill for discount on after show drinks and food.
    Posted by danser55[/QUOTE]

You're probably right.  It just, like several other posters mentioned, rubs me the wrong way because it feels like it's supporting a religious agenda.  Then again, it's a privately owned business and they do have a right to support a religious agenda if that's what they choose.

I'm just trying to figure out <em>whether</em> I should be rubbed the wrong way or not.

H wouldn't even indulge me in the conversation.  He just rolled his eyes and started checking his email on his phone.  Jerk.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_love-jesus-save-money?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9469a92b-e831-474d-9747-6bfe8f8d26e2Post:e8cb4fcd-0a6a-489b-a9c6-e377e9885ee3">Re: Love Jesus, Save Money?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Love Jesus, Save Money? : Just to play devil's advocate, would you be annoyed if you WEREN'T walking in the Avon walk and weren't able to take advantage of those discounts? I don't think people should be more annoyed by this than any other random discount.
    Posted by cu97tiger[/QUOTE]

<div>Nope, I probably wouldn't care at all. </div>

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_love-jesus-save-money?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9469a92b-e831-474d-9747-6bfe8f8d26e2Post:e82fc113-0481-4a6e-b2c5-5c7dbaa0d033">Re: Love Jesus, Save Money?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Love Jesus, Save Money? : You're probably right.  It just, like several other posters mentioned, rubs me the wrong way because it feels like it's supporting a religious agenda.  Then again, it's a privately owned business and they do have a right to support a religious agenda if that's what they choose. I'm just trying to figure out whether I should be rubbed the wrong way or not. H wouldn't even indulge me in the conversation.  He just rolled his eyes and started checking his email on his phone.  Jerk.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm rubbed the wrong way by it too.  I feel like people shouldn't care about anyone else's faith, and that's what this is doing - showing favoritism for those who are religious/attend an organized religion, vs those who don't believe or don't attend.</div><div>
    </div><div>To be fair though, I spent a full summer in HS screaming about how we had to read "A Prayer for Owen Meany" as our AP summer reading, and I was upset because I felt like they were trying to shove Christianity down our throats.  Or my throat specifically, I lived in SC and was probably the only one in school who didn't attend church.</div>
    I french with my man
  • Options
    If it's an area of with a lot of churches and a lot of people who go to church I see it more as a way to get more customers than support a religious agenda. I don't see it as telling people to go to church more telling people who already go to church to come that restaurant afterward. It doesn't seem worth being offended by.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_love-jesus-save-money?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9469a92b-e831-474d-9747-6bfe8f8d26e2Post:3f72da92-6c01-4746-8972-faa83822fc3d">Re: Love Jesus, Save Money?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't really think it discriminates against non church goers.  I'm sure it's just a marketing ploy to bring in Sunday brunch/lunch people.  I've seen restaurants near by theaters say bring in your playbill for discount on after show drinks and food.
    Posted by danser55[/QUOTE]
    <div><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:8.5pt;line-height:115%;">I agree with Danser.  I don't think it's a big deal.  Sure it would be a little annoying not to get that 10% but that is all.  I have been to places where they discount for certain things that I haven't been a part of.  It annoys me a little but I move on quickly.  BTW my church doesn't do bulletins so I wouldn't get the discount anyways.  </span></p></div><div>
    </div>
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_love-jesus-save-money?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9469a92b-e831-474d-9747-6bfe8f8d26e2Post:d59f7fe7-41db-4c09-af90-146f4f0e1db3">Re: Love Jesus, Save Money?</a>:
    [QUOTE]To be fair though, I spent a full summer in HS screaming about how we had to read "A Prayer for Owen Meany" as our AP summer reading, and I was upset because I felt like they were trying to shove Christianity down our throats.  
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I had to read that over the summer for AP English too! I'm not religious at all, but I liked the book.

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Elle, I'm sure this happens by me, haha.  I just don't notice it.

But since we're both in the Bible belt, I find this more likely to happen. 

It bothers me a little bit, as I don't think I have to be a Bible-thumping evangelist to ya know, be a good person.  And I don't really want to go into a huge debate about it, but let's face it - the churches today simply are our grandparents' churches.  I need a church that doesn't take up my day on Sunday AND doesn't judge the crap outta me because I live with my FI.  If I can't find one like that, I won't be going to one.

It should be noted that my grandma is awesome and loves FI and I even if we live together, lol.  I figure if grandma approves, everyone else should.  Sheesh.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    I've never seen anything like that, but it wouldn't go over well around here, either.

I prefer one price for everyone. Sometimes I go places and feel like I'm being charged the gwai lo (literally ghost man but is sort of interpreted as white devil) price.
  • Options
    around here, sports is a big deal.  we have a newish NBA team.  if you go in certain restaurants wearing Thunder gear on a game day, you get a discount or free drink.

we have 2 big college football teams, OU and OSU.  in certain businesses if you have an OU or OSU ID or alumni card, or on game days if you're wearing their gear, you get a discount.  it's not for every sports team, just those two.

in certain parts of town, if you have a state-university ID (and I do not, I attended a private uni) you get a discount.

in MANY businesses all over the metro, if you have a student ID, you get a discount.

I see it as the equivalent.  I am none of those things.  I have a Thunder shirt that H got me, but I never wear it out of the house.  I guess I could, but 10% or a free drink (I always drink water) just doesn't appeal to me.  I'd love to get a discount with my university or alumni ID, but it's the wrong one (not state-issued).

I really just feel like you're digging for something to be annoyed at.  a business wants to attract customers.  whether it's sports, school, religion, or whatever else, not everyone is always going to fit.  it's not discriminating or trying to force you to support something.  if you fit the group, great, you get a discount.  if not, is it really that big of a deal?  is it worth me getting upset and my feelers hurt because I'm not an OSU fan?  maybe I'm a ND fan; that's all nice and fun, but I don't get a discount for being a ND fan.  OSU fans get the discount.  and that's OKAY.

I would think that they would honor whatever religion came in there.  and if you don't have a bulletin, I would imagine if you just told them "hey, I come from the Eastern Orthodox church, but we don't have Sunday bulletins.  can I still take advantage of the discount?" that they would be MORE THAN HAPPY to give it to you.  same for someone who celebrates the Sabbath (although it's less likely, unless they aren't strict about kosher).  it's just, I don't see what you're annoyed about.  a restaurant is looking to attract business.  they could have done the same thing with a marathon, sports, certain school affiliation, whatever.  it's just a discount, not a conspiracy to force you to Christianity. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't be offended. I'd agree with your DH here that the restaraunt is trying to attract the Sunday after-church crowds. I think, from a business perspective, it's rather smart. I mean, who doesn't like to save money? And a lot of people tend to want to go out for brunch/lunch after their church service, so, why not go to this place where you can save 10% for showing them a paper you got and probably won't look at again? I dunno.

I guess if I were participating in an event that allowed me to get 10% off at a store/restaraunt, I wouldn't think twice about it. But if others who weren't participating in this event, got the discount? I think I'd be a little annoyed.

Off topic: Blue & White, if you're seriously interested in finding a church, feel free to PM me. If you'd rather look on your own, try looking for non-denominational churches near you.They're, generally speaking, "not your grandma's church".
  • Options
    Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited March 2013
    It's a great marketing strategy. I've worked at places that had huge rushes after church let out on Sundays. If a restaurant is near a church and they aren't getting a rush, offering a discount is just one way to get people into your door.

I'm sure if you asked a manager if this would cross over to your synogogue or mosque, they would be happy to accomodate you... unless it really is a bigot thing. I highly doubt it is, though. Only one way to find out...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards