Not Engaged Yet

HELP! I'm being proposed to!!

Long-time lurker, first-time poster...

This weekend my boyfriend and I are going on a little road trip to Victoria, BC (We live in the Okanagan Valley). Details aside, he is going to propose.

How do I know? I just do. I am 100% positive, not a doubt in my mind. I didn't snoop or try to figure it out or drop hints. I just know it's time and he knows it's time and I am still going to be surprised by the exact when/where/ring.

So here's my issue- What do I do?! Is there any special thing I should have on me (I thought of a few tissues, maybe), or anything I should be careful not to say (I don't have a great brain/mouth filter) or is there something I should or should not do?

I might be happy-panicking just a bit. Maybe this is one of those 'be yourself' things? Anyone else in a similar boat? EEE!

Re: HELP! I'm being proposed to!!

• edited December 2011
    My advice? TRY to push it out of your mind. You don't want to spend the whole trip wondering when he's going to do it. I dont' know how you "know" he's going to do it but he might decide that it's not the right time while you are there. My friend got engaged recently. He was planning on proposing while they were on vacation but it just didn't feel right to him and he decided he was going to wait till they got home. He proposed a few days after they returned home.

Relax and enjoy your vacation!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • run21run21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hopefully, early congrats! But don't get too excited about it, just in case. If it does happen, I recommend not saying, "Yes. It's about time." (A friend of mine just replied with that - she didn't mean to - it just jumped out. So now it's a funny story but not very romantic.)

Good luck! And HAVE FUN!
  • BCRockiesBCRockies member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First off: good luck and an early congratulations (hopefully). Enjoy your time on the island; I love it there. Where abouts in the Okanagon are you? I'm in the East Kootenay's.

Relax and try to think that it's just another vacation and think about the fun you're having together. It appears that you want to be surprised about it so push it out of your mind. And if there's a chance it doesn't happen on your trip, don't panic. It will happen eventually and no matter what, it will be special.

Congrats again.
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First off - OMG HI! ANOTHER CANADIAN! *waves*

Next - just stay calm and try not to think about it.  I know it's hard but in the end try to push it from your mind and just enjoy your trip.  If it doesn't happen then you could be disappointed but if it does then, since you're not thinking about it, you'll be happily surprised.  Either way I promise it will be amazing b/c you'll be with the man you love.

Have a good trip:)

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you've lurked you'll know what we'll say. RELAX AND ENJOY THE ANTICIPATION!! It only happens once. Don't expect it, but embrace the nerves. GL : )
  • edited December 2011
    Bahahaha you totally sound like me.  I try to pack to prepare for everything.  It's a goofy habit.

But yeah, I have to say that you need to just be surprised, because that's how you will give him the reaction he has been waiting for.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Bring some tissues and put it out of your mind! Sealed

My husband asked "So.... you're gonna marry me, right?" with a half-worried, goofy smile (we'd been together over 5 years and living together over 3 years.... seriously? lol)

I said "YEAH!" and we both proceeded to crack up laughing, and crying, and just sitting on the floor together kissing and hugging and being crazy.

You can't plan it, you shouldn't plan it. Let it happen. Be yourself. Don't think about it. Just be happy, and when it happens, it happens.
    Anniversary
  • breezerbbreezerb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    first of all - bahahaha run - "Yes. It's about time." When my day comes I may burst into spontaneous laughter trying NOT to say that! But after 5.5 years I may have earned it...

Paige - *waves* - I guess that makes me Canuck #3! we are slowly taking over *evil cackle*  It will be too late by the time they notice... the friendly canadians eh?

amtcg - I never thought I would see a post that says "Help! I'm being proposed to"??? maybe "Help! I'm being attacked by a shark" (it is shark week afer all)...  I agree that no matter what it's going to be on the forefront of your mind the entire time but you have to be careful that you don't let it take over... because you will miss an incredible vacation filled with many special moments...

and you never know... as KDBC said... sometimes the right moment doesn't pop up and he will wait so that he thinks it's perfect...

*but* hopefully you will have a happy story to tell us when you get back!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

*No pony, no I do!*
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_im-being-proposed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:a2c5037d-1743-4d15-aa1f-14a6978007fePost:537e99fd-c91f-4538-bda6-687ffc476892">Re: HELP! I'm being proposed to!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]first of all - bahahaha run - "Yes. It's about time." When my day comes I may burst into spontaneous laughter trying NOT to say that! But after 5.5 years I may have earned it...
    Posted by breezerb[/QUOTE]

I said "Let me think about this..yes". I waited 6 years, he could wait 3 (literally) seconds. I'm mean and you should feel sorry for my FI, I know. LOL
    imageimageimageimage
  • jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    as with other PP's, try not to think about it.  if you do, you will end up ruining your whole trip because you'll always be on your guard wondering if this is the time or place.  just relax and have a fun trip.  this way when it does happen (since you are sure) it will still be somewhat of a surprise.  and on the off chance that it does not, then you won't be too disappointed.

but just in case, the only thing i would say to "prepare" would be maybe to get a manicure.  i'm sure you'll probably want to take pics of the rings and it's always nice to make sure your hands will be the perfect model for it :)

keep us updated!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Even though it's easier said than done, definitely try not to think about it too much.  I tried to follow that advice from everyone but I had a feeling he might propose on my birthday.  However, my parents, a couple of my best friends and several other people were all in on his plans and they had me completely convinced that it wasn't going to happen on my birthday, so I managed to push it out of my mind.  I'm so glad they did that since he did in fact propose on my birthday.  I was completely surprised.  We were watching the video my dad took and I was making all kinds of weird faces because I was trying not to start crying before he asked the question.

Just enjoy your trip.  I hope it happens for you as you're hoping.  And believe me, you won't be able to plan out your reaction, just let it happen and enjoy it!
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, just be yourself. And I agree with PPs - try not to think about it, because if he winds up NOT proposing, you'll be very disappointed. But hopefully you'll come back here with a success story!
  • edited December 2011
    I was in a similar situation this past weekend...we are NOW engaged!! We've been talking about it for quite some time now, and I knew it would be coming in the very near future. He had planned a "suprise trip" and I was to know nothing of any details! He was very good at keeping the secret....even told me, when I asked what to pack, to "just be prepared for ANYTHING"! We ended up going to a log cabin in the middle of nowhere in the Ohio valley. I had an idea in the back of my mind, but I tried my best to stay focused on enjoying the time alone with him and having the time of our lives, which we did. He even prepared all the food so that we wouldn't have to leave the cabin the entire weekend! Our last night there, we were in the hot tub and he said he was going to go refill our drinks and came back and just proposed! For some miraculous reason, I had completely forgotten about my feelings of anticipation because I was so relaxed and it was a total suprise! I wish nothing but the best to both of you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • breezerbbreezerb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    skibunny-such an amazing story-congrats!!!!!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

*No pony, no I do!*
  • edited December 2011
    Don't listen to these hags.

You need a box of tissues, a camera crew, a manicure, a pedicure, get waxed, a whole new outfit, get your hair did that morning, new jewelry to match the ring and of course new shoes.
    image image image image 
    "but you're SO FUNNY, button! you're so funny i kind of want to crawl into your skin and wear it as my own. " - NarwhalYou, my dear, are the Queen of the Beebees. Here's a tiara - Oceana 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_im-being-proposed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:a2c5037d-1743-4d15-aa1f-14a6978007fePost:a2e4452e-9c0d-48bf-b4ce-f926b018d678">Re: HELP! I'm being proposed to!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't listen to these hags. You need a box of tissues, a camera crew, a manicure, a pedicure, get waxed, a whole new outfit, get your hair did that morning, new jewelry to match the ring and of course new shoes.
    Posted by Button5807[/QUOTE]

don't forget the lingerie ;)
  • desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Actually, I think Bren has a good idea there with the lingerie. Focus on doing something special for HIM, and maybe that will take your mind off a possible proposal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    and here i thought the lingerie was for the camera crew...
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_im-being-proposed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a2c5037d-1743-4d15-aa1f-14a6978007fePost:1578f539-c435-4462-b2c3-5cb8a2f8d1dc">Re: HELP! I'm being proposed to!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]and here i thought the lingerie was for the camera crew...
    Posted by heyimbren[/QUOTE]

ROFLCOPTERS

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_im-being-proposed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a2c5037d-1743-4d15-aa1f-14a6978007fePost:0e299e6f-c17e-4531-baa5-6717a8b98297">Re: HELP! I'm being proposed to!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Actually, I think Bren has a good idea there with the lingerie. Focus on doing something special for HIM, and maybe that will take your mind off a possible proposal.
    Posted by desertsun[/QUOTE]

Dang, the only thing I did was buy him an XBox 360.
    Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    LOL, Jeana!

Luckily, my FI is pretty strictly a PC gamer. So I buy lingerie instead. I like to have pretty things, and he likes to see me in them. Win win!

• hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    God, I hate it when people propose. So awful.

I keed, I keed.

Just relax, he may know that you know and not do it then. He might want it to be surprised, so he won't this weekend, and then you've effectively ruined your weekend.. So, have fun, enjoy this time (this time is really fun), and maybe spend some time at VS or Fredericks of Hollywood.

PS-- I bought him a BBQ as a gift afterwards. And I knew it was coming, my dad called to make sure I was ready to get married. Way to go dad.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    BF says I have to buy him a Playstation 3.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Am I the only one that's perturbed that OP is 19, her SO is 34, and they've only been dating a year?
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_im-being-proposed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a2c5037d-1743-4d15-aa1f-14a6978007fePost:c22cb599-6851-4529-9089-462723e0b0a2">Re: HELP! I'm being proposed to!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Am I the only one that's perturbed that OP is 19, her SO is 34, and they've only been dating a year?
    Posted by GreenPepperBurger[/QUOTE]

Umm...no. I am pertubed as well.

• edited December 2011
    I'm buying BF a watch.  And I'm going to "re-propose" to him - I will have already agreed to spend my life with him, so he's going to have to agree to spend his life with me!  He knows this, and thinks it's the best thing since... well, sliced bread doesn't seem to work here.  The best thing since Wii?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_im-being-proposed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a2c5037d-1743-4d15-aa1f-14a6978007fePost:c22cb599-6851-4529-9089-462723e0b0a2">Re: HELP! I'm being proposed to!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Am I the only one that's perturbed that OP is 19, her SO is 34, and they've only been dating a year?

No, no you are not.  Dang, I need to learn to check the intro thread more often. 

sorry OP, I'll be "hatin'" if I want.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_im-being-proposed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:a2c5037d-1743-4d15-aa1f-14a6978007fePost:779f4b24-163e-42a3-b576-cff4c07289a3">Re: HELP! I'm being proposed to!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: HELP! I'm being proposed to!! : No, no you are not.  Dang, I need to learn to check the intro thread more often.  sorry OP, I'll be "hatin'" if I want.
    Posted by noelle24[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I should have read it before I replied. *headdesk*
    edited December 2011

Whoa, really? I try not to be judgy about other people's relationships, but her being under the legal drinking age, and him being 15 years older is makes me worry about her a bit. :(

• edited December 2011
    Girl, please. Drink a glass of wine, You do not know what you are going to do til the time comes. Carrying tissues is a bit over board and he will think you are crazy. Don't psyche yourself up and it does not happen. I cried when I got my ring and it was genuine. He spent A LOT of planning and money for when he did it,
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards