Not Engaged Yet

Recommend Books!

Good Morning NEY!  I know there have been book rec threads in the past, but I want my own!  *stamps foot*

I will soon have a Kindle Touch and want some ideas for a books. 

Some authors I love (Modern Fiction):
Ann Patchett
Jeffrey Eugenides
Jesmyn Ward
Cormac McCarthy
Alice LaPlante

Nonfiction Loves:
Matt Ridley 
Richard Louv 
Malcolm Gladwell
Michael Pollan
Freakonomics

Re: Recommend Books!

• motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited July 2012
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Both I loved and quite well written.
  • Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres <-- Favorite book EVER

The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff

These two are more fantasy, but both excellent books. David Gemmel is an amazing writer, definitely one of my favorites!

Winter Warriors by David Gemmel

Legend by David Gemmel

Archangel by Sharon Shinn

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Have you read either of Joshua Ferris's books?  Dude's a genius.  Based on the authors you liked, we have similar tastes, so I think you'll agree.  Definitely read "Then We Came to the End."

Also, if you like Ann Patchett, you'll probably like "Sing Them Home" by Stephanie Kallos (I think that's the author's name -- I'll verify it after I post this).  I just read it a couple weeks ago and I couldn't put it down.
  • I am reading Game of Thrones right now I'm on the second book and I love it.  I enjoyed reading Allison Weir and some of her non fiction books around the Tudors.

Anniversary

• Thanks for the all the recommendations so far, and keep them coming!

Lynn, Night Circus was actually our first book for the book club I started with some friends: Biiiitches, Books and Booze.  ;)  

Elle, I have not read Joshua Ferris.  It is within the last year that I started reading more fiction again, and modern fiction in particular.  Sometimes I still am not sure where to start when looking for a good author.  There is so much published every year!  I lucked out and loved 3 of 5 the books I picked for the book club.  We only read one as a group, but I read all of them, because I had wanted to anyway.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_recommend-books?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:b6c294b6-27ce-485d-9e12-e93d27113106Post:9bf33c45-6f60-4a40-ab82-568eb0ba1d29">Re: Recommend Books!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the all the recommendations so far, and keep them coming! Lynn, Night Circus was actually our first book for the book club I started with some friends: Biiiitches, Books and Booze.  ;)   Elle, I have not read Joshua Ferris.  It is within the last year that I started reading more fiction again, and modern fiction in particular.<strong>  Sometimes I still am not sure where to start when looking for a good author.</strong>  There is so much published every year!  I lucked out and loved 3 of 5 the books I picked for the book club.  We only read one as a group, but I read all of them, because I had wanted to anyway.
    Posted by RWS2011[/QUOTE]

I've found most of my favorite authors by being led there.  I read a book by Nick Hornby (who's another of my favorite authors, even if most of his books tend to fizzle by the end) and he had written a favorable review of Joshua Ferris, so I decided to check him out and liked it.  I discovered "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" by Dave Wroblewski because Stephen King liked it.  And so on...  when you find one author you like, look to see what <em>they</em> like. 

Stephen King, by the way...  whether you like his own works or not, check out his reviews.  He has great taste.
  • I like older books...

Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie 
    Mildred Pierce - James M. Cain
    Demian - Herman Hesse
    The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald (I know, this is very "high school reading list", but with the movie coming out soon, it might be interesting to read it if you never have)

More modern literature:
    The Red Tent - Anita Diamant 
    Sarah's Key - Tatiana de Rosnay
    Ash Wednesday - Ethan Hawke
    You're so rad, more rad than my dad If you were a fabric you'd be plaid Everybody knows plaid is so rad I think about you and I go mad You're so rad

~The Bouncing Souls

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• The entire A Song of Ice and Fire series. I'm on A Feast for Crows right now.

• Elle, that is a great idea!

cherrybomb, I was obsessed with Agatha Christie when I was younger.  I read all her books.  Also, I have read a lot of/am into older books too and know just what to look for and what I want to read with respect to those.  So, I specified modern because I feel a bit more lost when looking for good modern lit.  Thanks for all the recommendations, though!  I have had The Red Tent on my bookshelf since the last book sale at my daughter's school.  Maybe I'll have to bump it up on my list!

Stillwell, I'll look into it, thanks!  :)

• I second The Red Tent by Anita Diamant.  Amazing... 

• Fiction:
    Till We Have Faces - C.S. Lewis
    At Swim, Two Boys - Jamie O'Neill
    Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
    Where Things Come Back - John Corey Whaley

Non Fiction:
    I really like what I've read of Alain de Botton. His Status Anxiety was brilliant, and now I'm working through Religion for Atheists.
  • I'm currently re-reading The Chronicles of Narnia with Bean. We just started The Magician's Nephew. I'm also reading Then Came You, by Jennifer Weiner. I have to say...not her best stuff.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Bean, I had that very idea last night as I was setting up my Goodreads account!  How is the Bean liking it so far?  How old is he again?  My kiddo is 8 and LOVES fantasy, Greek Mythology, and stories about "kids who have magic or powers" (in her own words.)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_recommend-books?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:b6c294b6-27ce-485d-9e12-e93d27113106Post:1fe3fa6f-d62f-49ce-97ac-fbbf626f1822">Re: Recommend Books!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bean, I had that very idea last night as I was setting up my Goodreads account!  How is the Bean liking it so far?  How old is he again?  My kiddo is 8 and LOVES fantasy, Greek Mythology, and stories about "kids who have magic or powers" (in her own words.)
    Posted by RWS2011[/QUOTE]

The first couple of chapters were a little tough for him. The writing is different than what he has read before. I talked to him this morning (he's at camp) and he's on chapter 7 now, and loving it. And I get to rediscover my love for the series!
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards