Not Engaged Yet
Options

AW: I want opinions

Okay,
So here is what I showed BF the other night that I liked, and he thinks I'm being modest, and I should want something more expensive. But I really like them,... What do you ladies think??

The second one, I'm not sure if that was the exact one, but it's close enough... I like the second one better, i think... And the wedding band regardless of what it is, would look good with either, I think..

Re: AW: I want opinions

• Options
    IrishDreamerIrishDreamer member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_aw-want-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:b6d76001-bce5-473a-8857-acb825a2f4a1Post:c8d77091-06b0-4bec-85b3-834cddfa40f9">Re: AW: I want opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is this for an e-ring?
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

Yeah, BF is being stupid and irritating... Thinks I want flashier, bigger, and more expensive, and I'm just saying I don't so he proposes quicker...
  • Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_aw-want-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:b6d76001-bce5-473a-8857-acb825a2f4a1Post:d24d23db-0e28-44b6-a1d4-822838191b58">Re: AW: I want opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like # 1 because of the design!
    Posted by sunbird627[/QUOTE]
    I concur, I like the wavy lines.  I think either are just fine choices.  Your ring doesn't have to by blingy.  It can be whatever you want.
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

I looooove number one!  But I am all about soft and elegant things.  If you like the other one better then get it!

Though I thought that normally the guy buys the center ring (the one with the big stone) and the band is what you get when you get married?  Though by all means no one has to do it this way.

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_aw-want-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:b6d76001-bce5-473a-8857-acb825a2f4a1Post:f271553c-85d0-474c-83de-f36ed26d9312">Re: AW: I want opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I looooove number one!  But I am all about soft and elegant things.  If you like the other one better then get it! Though I thought that normally the guy<strong> buys the center ring (the one with the big stone)</strong> and the band is what you get when you get married?   Though by all means no one has to do it this way.
    Posted by ravenray[/QUOTE]

I <strong>HATE </strong>those. They look retarded on my finger. I like multiple stones or plain bands. I'm an oddball, I know...but I have never been one to follow the "norm". In all honesty, one similar to these would be the engagement, and then I would have a white gold solid band for the wedding ring.
  • Options
    becunning2becunning2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like both options!

Though for an e-ring, the first has a bit more "specialness" to it where the second looks very much like a wedding band.

They're gorgeous! I also think your BF should respect what you like about a ring--not what he thinks you should have because he wants you to have it. You have to wear the silly thing, not him.
  • Options
    Ollie08Ollie08 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_aw-want-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:b6d76001-bce5-473a-8857-acb825a2f4a1Post:8abdeff0-34ce-4a74-a276-ff0cb6a97cba">Re: AW: I want opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really like number one. But I will be honest and say that if you wore that band alone, I would think that you were married, not engaged. I don't think that there's anything wrong with getting one of those if that is what you really want, and you don't like rings with a center stone, but I think that many people would assume that is a wedding band.

Ditto all of this. What about some sort of 3-stone ring? I also wonder how this would look next to a plain band for your wedding band.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I like em!  I think I'd go for them as wedding bands, but you already said you're not traditional like me, so go for it!  I think the 1st one is better than the 2nd one, as the 2nd one looks like a pretty traditional wedding band.  I like the waves!
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is the ring I currently wear that he gave me for Easter, for as he put it "We're 'pearled'" *rolls eyes*

Excuse the fatty hand...it's not really that fat...my cell phone camera just sucks
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_aw-want-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:b6d76001-bce5-473a-8857-acb825a2f4a1Post:fbc8b22a-91c5-483a-8e49-43af59d6df1f">Re: AW: I want opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I like both options! Though for an e-ring, the first has a bit more "specialness" to it where the second looks very much like a wedding band.</strong> They're gorgeous! I also think your BF should respect what you like about a ring--not what he thinks you should have because he wants you to have it. You have to wear the silly thing, not him.
    Posted by becunning2[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I was going to say.
    PhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    edited December 2011
    You are the one wearing it so you should have a say in what it shall be.  If your BF knows what you want then hopefully he shall stick to it. 

The site says this is an e-ring but I think it can swing as either.

Or perhaps something like this but all the three stones are the same size.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I like both, but I agree that the 2nd looks more like a wedding band.  But honestly, get whatever you like best.  I like the design of the 1st one, it makes it more unique.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_aw-want-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:b6d76001-bce5-473a-8857-acb825a2f4a1Post:630bdc51-1b6e-4a19-a5eb-b43619136345">Re: AW: I want opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AW: I want opinions : I HATE those. They look retarded on my finger. I like multiple stones or plain bands. I'm an oddball, I know...but I have never been one to follow the "norm". In all honesty, one similar to these would be the engagement, and then I would have a white gold solid band for the wedding ring.
    Posted by IrishDreamer[/QUOTE]

Well then get what you love!  It doesn't matter what anyone else would think!  I like your plan :)
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    edited December 2011
    oooo... the second one lyn posted is sooo pretty and not traditional. But I really like the first one you posted too. ITs unique and I think it would look very cool with a non-stone band as a wedding band, but I'd make sure it was special too.

Like this:

or like what Tiffany's has (but a cheaper version lol)
    http://www.tiffany.com/Celebrations/CelebrationRings.aspx#p+1-n+6-cg+-c+-s+-r+-t+-ri+-ni+1-x+-pu+-f+/1

ETA: I design this stack for you :)

You could keep your current ring add the middle one as the engagement and get something like the top one for your wedding ring... Just an idea.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    edited December 2011
    They're both pretty, but I'm more the traditional type.  :)
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_aw-want-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:b6d76001-bce5-473a-8857-acb825a2f4a1Post:5f24fa0d-c428-41c6-ab81-d896443bb002">Re: AW: I want opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is a set that is bookmarked on my computer...not as wedding bands/erings, but as right-hand rings...I love stackables! However I do not have $4000 to make this stackable dream come true. But something like this could look cool. <a href="http://www.brilliantearth.com/Luxe-Antique-Eternity-Diamond-Ring-Stack-(over-1-ct.tw.)-Platinum-BE601/" rel="nofollow">http://www.brilliantearth.com/Luxe-Antique-Eternity-Diamond-Ring-Stack-(over-1-ct.tw.)-Platinum-BE601/</a>

Looks like we had a similar idea :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    lennonkdclennonkdc member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like them both, but I think they look more like wedding bands. I understand BF's point of views, and I think E-Rings are a status symbol for guys in away. I would find a way to compromise with him, maybe a nice channel set band with a modest solitary stone. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the first one the best, but I'd guess it was a wedding band or eternity band rather than an e-ring.

I have co-workers that skipped the e-ring entirely and only have their wedding band. That might work for you. Maybe I'm uncreative but would you put a plain wedding band with that?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My friend has a 3 stone e-ring, but it is very small and flat. So it's not flashy, but still looks like an e-ring. Not saying anyone needs to go that route, because I think ring #1 is very pretty, but it's an option!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I say who gives an eff what others think and what is 'traditional.'  I really like both of the rings you posted.  I love the 1st one. 

Do you think that your BF feels like the ring he gets you says something about him?  As in, if he doesn't get you a traditional e-ring with a center stone, then he is less of a man and cannot provide for you.  What is normal in his family?  What is normal in his circle of friends?  I'm not saying that these things should have a bearing but it might help you to understand where he is coming from. 

I think that the e-ring represents both people in the relationship but not in a material way.  I think that sometimes it is about compromise when each part of the couple wants something different.   I think that it can be a great lesson in communicating what you want and why, while listening to the other person's side.

If it was up to me alone, then I would have just had a wedding band.  However, it was very important to my DH to get me an e-ring, so we looked together.  We picked out a couple of settings, then he picked the final setting and the center stone because he did want an element of surprise after the way our engagement went down.  My main guideline was that we would still be able to buy a house and have a substantial savings after the purchase was all said and done.  To me, buying a house was more important than getting a ring. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like the first one.  You will wear it forever so you should have something you like, even if it isn't considered a typical engagement.  Just don't tell for say a small ring or no ring just to becomes engaged quicker in my opinion.  

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_aw-want-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:b6d76001-bce5-473a-8857-acb825a2f4a1Post:944f01a4-b4bf-49b9-b678-f17858ef2865">Re: AW: I want opinions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just don't tell for say a small ring or no ring just to becomes engaged quicker in my opinion.  
    Posted by danser55[/QUOTE]

What is this even supposed to mean? 

I think you are trying to tell her not to say that she wants a smaller ring or no ring in order to become engaged quicker.  Some people really don't care about having a ring at all.  Some people really would rather be engaged than wait for a ring.  And what's so wrong with having your priorities be on the side of emotions instead of a material object?  Engagement rings are a relatively new thing.  People talk about it like it is a long-standing tradition.  It isn't.  If <strong>a couple</strong> wants to get engaged without a ring, it doesn't necessarily mean that it revolves around wanting to get enaged quicker.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't vote because I like #1 the best, but you said you like #2 the best and IMO, that's what matters. I don't think you should give a shiit about what's traditional or what other people will think of it. Maybe someone who doesn't know you will assume you are married. So what? Life will go on.

I DO think there should be compromise between you and your BF (the only opinions that actually matter). Whether that means having no ring, a diamond band, or a "traditional" e-ring, doesn't matter - as long as you both agree.

Just talk to each other. Tell him what is and isn't important to you, listen to what is and isn't important to him, and talk about the options you have that will make both of you happy. I agree with Mutley - it's a good opportunity for you two to work together to come up with a solution that makes you both happy. And it's why I'm a big fan of couples shopping together even though I respect that that's not the way everyone feels.

And also, a really nice "small" ring can be a lot more expensive than a "big" ring. Bigger is not always better (meaning more expensive in this case).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It really doesn't matter whether people think it is a wedding or engagement ring, it still shows that you are committed to someone special.  I've had people ask me if I'm married when they see my solitaire, so even the "normal" engagement ring gets confused with a wedding band. 

There are those women that have solitaires with guards on them instead of a wedding band and it looks like an engagement ring even though she is married.

You can't judge a woman by her ring.

Those eternity bands are gorgeous and I feel like the second one will hold up better to the time test because it looks a lot more timeless to me.

I love the idea of an eternity band next to a solid metal band.  I like simple myself, it will be gorgeous.  When FI and I get married I will just wear my band and ditch the solitaire. I will wear it with the wedding band for fancy occasions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards