Not Engaged Yet
Options

Antique Engagement Rings

My boyfriend and have recently decided that we want to get married after 3 wonderful years of dating.  He wants me to get the ring I especially want, so we are going shopping together starting next weekend.  However, from looking online, and seeing my friend's rings, I've noticed that a lot of modern rings have the diamond sit really far off the hand.  The ring has a tendency to catch on things, hit things, and fall over to the side.  I've always known that I really didn't want this in my engagement ring, that I wanted a center diamond that was low set.  However, this seems to be a tall order as Shane Company or Jared just don't carry that style.  I've found several online (http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=2442 or http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=603) but I'm nervous about asking my bf to make such a large purchase over the internet.  Especially if I can't see it on my hand before we buy.

Does anyone have advice for shopping for low-set or antique engagement rings, especially if you also live in Colorado like I do?  How do you feel about making large purchases like this online?

Re: Antique Engagement Rings

• Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you tried looking at Estate jewellery in stores?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    heyimbren - As I've just started, I haven't been to any jewelry stores yet, just looked online.  I would lump estate jewelry in with "antique" jewelry.  Mostly there just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of selection for the very few stores in the Denver-metro area that have antiques in the first place.

I wonder if any girls that have gotten rings from the popular places - Kay, Shane Co, Jared, have gotten low set rings there ... do they exist?  Do I have to go antique?
  • Options
    Ana_2985Ana_2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, they exist at jewelry chain stores. Look for bezel of trellis settings. These will sit lower on your finger. Anything "tiffany" or "cathedral" with be higher settings.

Edit: They don't really do a good job of describing the settings of the websites though, so you'd probably need to tell someone at the store which setting types you were interested in seeing.

I would also recommend checking online vendors like Bluenile, Whiteflash, Adiamor, and anything recommended on pricescope.com. These sites will be much better at labeling the different settings.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It's also possible to specifically ask the jeweler to set a stone lower. When I first got my ring, it was taller than I wanted. I went with a slightly smaller stone and asked the jeweler to set it as low as possible, and it came back at least a milimeter lower.

Lower set styles definitely exist, but they are harder to find. I also have two little bumps inside the band to help keep the ring from spinning. Lastly, if you're worried about prongs catching, you might look into a bezel-set style.
  • Options
    tafft1tafft1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got my ring from Shane Co. and there is a far greater selection in store than just online so I would check them out regardless. I have a more classic/vintage style in my opinion we got from there so it might be an option still. I agree with the Estate sales and even possibly smaller non chain jewelrs in your area - Best of luck :)
    Photobucket Anniversary www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ana_2985 and leia1979!!  Good advice for the newbie to rings.  I'll have to see what my options are and maybe I'll have an option to set it lower.  taff1 - We're going to ShaneCo on Thurs so that's good to know.  I want the perfect ring, but I also don't want to search dozens of stores... You've given me hope!  Smile
  • Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    All else fails find a good reputable jeweler and have your ring customized. 
  • Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was just about to suggest Moto's suggestion: custom made ring could work too.

I don't really understand your first reply to me, OP. Would you prefer to not have an antique ring then? The estate sections at jewellery stores usually aren't very large so it wouldn't take you very long to look. You could even ask the jeweller to contact you if anything similar to what you're looking for comes in. They're usually pretty helpful with things like this.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sure a custom ring would be beautiful, but I don't know how long they take to make.  heyimbren - No, its not that I don't want an antique, I don't mind antique or modern.  Like you said, the selection is usually pretty small, and while that minimizes the time it takes to look, it also increases the number of stores to visit. I think I just want magic to happen and I want to find the perfect ring quickly :)  Thanks for the input everyone.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ifisher6, I know how you feel, I was looking for something similar. And like you, I found a ring I fell in love with online, but the store was in Arizona, and I was just too nervous about having FI purchase a ring online without even being able to try it on first. Most of the big chain stores didn't really have what I was looking for either. FI ended up finding my ring at a local jeweler his family has done business with for many years. You may have more luck with local jewelers than big chain stores. Bring pics with you to give them an idea of what you're looking for.
  • Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_antique-engagement-rings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:b778ca6e-64b7-454a-95e1-205f8a3cff1fPost:16793936-fd9f-4844-9382-fb894df07fa4">Re: Antique Engagement Rings</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sure a custom ring would be beautiful, but I don't know how long they take to make.  heyimbren - No, its not that I don't want  an antique, I don't mind antique or modern.  Like you said, the selection is usually pretty small, and while that minimizes the time it takes to look, it also increases the number of stores to visit.<strong> I think I just want magic to happen and I want to find the perfect ring quickly :) </strong> Thanks for the input everyone.
    Posted by lfisher6[/QUOTE]

Don't be impatient with the ring searching.  It is a ring you will wear for the rest of your life.  Depending on the jeweler some places take a couple of weeks to make you a custom ring from start to finish. We showed our jeweler a picture of a ring we wanted to copy and he told us he could have it done in a month.  This being the ideal ring I could wait a month.  BUT FI found another ring he liked just as much at the same jeweler so he went with that one instead.  I agree that you probably will have better luck at a non chain store.  Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We decided not to tell anyone the news until its official, and man, its so hard not to spill the beans when I chat with my friends!  I've known I wanted to marry him for the last year and a half and he fiiiiiinally came around.  But yes, you're right motoLyn, this is not something to rush.  No matter our time table, I want to love this ring more than any other. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've bought some jewelry from Ross-Simons online, and they have an estate jewelry section.  Everything I've ever gotten from them has been top-notch.  Might be worth looking at:  www.ross-simons.com
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Acrosthec - I checked them out and they have some beautiful rings that I just love.  I'm really nervous about buying things online with that high of a price ... I looked up reviews and one website is fairly positive, while another one is overwhelmingly negative.  I'll have to think about it and talk to the boyfriend tonight.  Hmmmm

This one is gorgeous! http://www.ross-simons.com/products/631380.html
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So - update - I chose a ring!  Believe it or not, I got it from Shane Co.  The ring I choose is not one I would've picked online.  But the more I tried them on, the more I figured out what fit my taste the best.  We went to several jewelers in the area, trying new and estate rings.  For some reason, I always came back to this setting.  It has a low profile, that isn't entirely evident in the pictures, and they are going to set it even lower with my diamond.  Something about this ring I just loved - it wasn't too simple, but it wasn't too ornate.  It goes with fancy attire and casual.  I was nervous about buying white gold, but with Shane Co doing everything for free (cleaning and rhodium plating is free for the life of the ring), I felt ok with it.

http://www.shaneco.com/Catalog/ProductDetail.aspx?X=41016629&O=Dept&C0=1&C1=3&S=PA
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards