Not Engaged Yet

While we're on the topic of the royal wedding....

Prince William won't wear a wedding ring. <---click

The article doesn't list any specific reason for it... nothing is mentioned regarding his job in the military and how that would make wearing the ring difficult. When I clicked on the headline, I assumed that would be the reason. Nope. Apparently he just doesn't want to??

I think it's completely unacceptable. Wedding rings symbolize the commitment that was made and the fact that the wearer of the ring is taken. I would NOT be OK with my FI not wearing a ring after the wedding unless he had a really good reason for it (work, etc.).

What do you girls think?

Re: While we're on the topic of the royal wedding....

• Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    There might be another reason that the article just doesn't mention, but I don't think it's a big deal either way.  LIke you said, rings are symbols.  That's all they are.  His choosing not to wear one doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't value the commitment.

The only time I would have a problem with a guy not wanting a ring is if he insists that the girl wear one.
  • HeartOverMindHeartOverMind member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not gonna lie, I'd be pissed if my husband didn't want to wear his wedding ring. He can take it off for work or any other legit reason, but in the house and if we went out, I'd expect him to wear his ring. Well maybe not in the house...that wouldn't really matter, but if we went out then he should wear it.
    "Why does a girl have to be so silly to catch a husband?" ~~~Scarlett O'Hara Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    While I do love the symbolism of it, and I would appreciate my FH to wear a wedding ring, I wouldn't say it's "unacceptable" unless Kate had a problem with it.
  • edited December 2011
    I know quite a few men who don't wear their wedding rings. it's definitely not the norm, but I've seen it.  one of the guys kept losing his ring, and getting it replaced, so he got a cheap one and then lost that!  so he gave it up altogether.

my FI is so excited about his ring.  I have already bought it and I'm keeping it at home.   he'll come over and sometimes want to "visit" it, and wear it around for a few minutes.  I'm very glad that he really wants to wear it.

my dad does not wear his wedding ring.  he was a mechanic for 10 or 20 years, and just never got back into the habit of wearing it.  every so often I'll see it on him for a few days, but then he'll go back to not wearing it.  old habits die hard!
  • edited December 2011
    My FILs do not wear their wedding rings. FMIL is a rehab nurse at a hospital and owns horses she has to feed/clean/etc. every day. FFIL helps with the horses. I believe those are part of why they don't wear them. But since neither of them wear them, and they're not the type to go out without each other, I think it's fine in their case.

Since I plan on always wearing my rings, I wouldn't be comfortable with FI not wearing his after the wedding.
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    If BF doesn't want a wedding ring I couldn't care less. The symbolism is nice but it's just that - symbolism. It's SYMBOL of the love and commitment a couple has made. Just because he doesn't wear a ring doesn't mean he doesn't love her or that he doesn't value the commitment they made.

And it's possible that he doesn't want to share his reasons with the entire world. He is entitled to at least some privacy just like everyone else.

• edited December 2011
    I second Bren, if Kate doesn't have a problem then I don't see it as being absolutely unacceptable.  I'd probably want my husband to wear a ring, but that's just my opinion. 
    Daisypath Vacation tickers 4 Leaf Clover
  • KatyRoseMKatyRoseM member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dad never even had one.  They were struggling when they got married and just didn't bother with it.  My mom never wore hers because she was a doctor and it cut the gloves.  Eventually she lost it and got another one she could wear every day.  I like that Fi wants to wear one, but I grew up thinking men didn't. 
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My Dad doesn't wear a ring.  His original ring didn't fit right (it chaffed his skin), and when he got a replacement he promptly lost it.  He never saw a need to buy another.  My Mom doesn't care at all, though she almost always wears her ring.

As soon as they got married, the priest told them to take off their rings.  He said that the ring did not make the marriage and did not want them getting superstitious about it.  He instructed them to spend 1 day without their ring per week.  His point was to put the emphasis and focus on what matters - actual commitment and loyalty, not a piece of jewelry.

That said, I know a woman who takes off her wedding ring when she's working so she can flirt (and reportedly sleep) with her clients to get sales.  Now I'm not even remotely okay with that!

I look forward to wearing my wedding ring, but if I don't wear it one day, I'm no less married or committed.  I feel the same way about my guy.  If he's not wearing it because it's uncomfortable, then whatever.  If he was not wearing it because he wanted people to think he was single, that would be a major issue.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    My dad's ring had to be cut off because his finger swelled up when he broke it trying to show off playing basketball by himself in the driveway. He is getting a new one as soon as the swelling is gone. He feels it means "hands off! I'm taken!"  And I know it bothers my mom that he doesnt' wear his.
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_were-topic-of-royal-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c15b9e85-8297-4c83-9aec-c173883ecf0aPost:b9abf2ec-8dd0-4de4-8d95-6e58cc433173">Re: While we're on the topic of the royal wedding....</a>:
    [QUOTE]My dad's ring had to be cut off because his finger swelled up when he broke it trying to show off playing basketball by himself in the driveway. He is getting a new one as soon as the swelling is gone. <strong>He feels it means "hands off! I'm taken!"  And I know it bothers my mom that he doesnt' wear his.</strong>
    Posted by bourgehm[/QUOTE]

I guess what I don't get about this is that the ring isn't some magical piece of jewelry that keeps people from cheating or keeps people from coming on to someone. At no other point in a relationship is it deemed necessary to wear a piece of jewelry to show that you are taken so I don't get why it would be such a big deal if a guy doesn't want to wear a wedding ring.

• Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BF will not be wearing a ring, ever. It's an occupational hazard. I'd like him to, but it's definitely not a big deal. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • CASK85CASK85 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think people will know that the Price is married. . . unless they live under a rock.
  • edited December 2011
    Idk...I don't think that's totally, off the wall crazy.  I mean, a ring is an outward symbol of your commitment to someone.  His wedding is going to be all over every magazine, newspaper, and tv station.  EVERYONE will know that he's married anyway.  And you don't NEED a ring to have a meaningful commitment.  In fact, I am friends with a couple who don't wear wedding bands.  They've been very happily married for over 30 years.
  • HeartOverMindHeartOverMind member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think the wedding rings are relevant to the commitment of the relationship. I just think that if I wear mine, then he should wear his. I never saw my father with a wedding ring because he lost his, but I knew my parents were still married.  But maybe I just care because I think it would be so special to see him wear his ring.  Maybe after the shock of being married, I won't care anymore. I don't know.

But I would still be mad if my future husband just said he didn't want to wear it and didn't have a reason.
    "Why does a girl have to be so silly to catch a husband?" ~~~Scarlett O'Hara Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_were-topic-of-royal-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c15b9e85-8297-4c83-9aec-c173883ecf0aPost:6e506e4f-67ae-40b0-808f-d042f15f655e">Re: While we're on the topic of the royal wedding....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: While we're on the topic of the royal wedding.... : I guess what I don't get about this is that the ring isn't some magical piece of jewelry that keeps people from cheating or keeps people from coming on to someone. At no other point in a relationship is it deemed necessary to wear a piece of jewelry to show that you are taken so I don't get why it would be such a big deal if a guy doesn't want to wear a wedding ring.
    Posted by bethsmiles[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree with you that it isn't a magical piece of jewelry or anything. But that's how my parents feel.

I know Jeff is excited to wear his wedding ring, and I am too. But if he didn't want to wear it, I dont think I'd have a big issue with it.
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
    edited December 2011
    I told BF I want the ring from LOTR, he said he'll work on that.

• luvdncn90luvdncn90 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    M can't wear a wedding ring because of his job. It is very dangerous and it could potentially get him killed if he wore it to work. I am totally ok with this, however I would like it if he wears it when we go out and stuff like that.

My dad is a mechanic and can't wear his ring at work. My whole life my dad has never worn a wedding ring. My mom is totally fine with this and always has been. A ring is just a symbol. They are very happily married and comitted to each other, and my dad doesn't need a ring to prove that.
  • AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_were-topic-of-royal-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c15b9e85-8297-4c83-9aec-c173883ecf0aPost:59c22beb-6312-4955-8167-f492b0906df4">Re: While we're on the topic of the royal wedding....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think people will know that the Price is married. . . unless they live under a rock.
    Posted by cschiano[/QUOTE]

<div>What prince?</div>
    I'm not good at feelings.

• LizzyTish88LizzyTish88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    BF can't wear a ring when he gets married because of work either. He has said that he is going to get it tattooed on. If he does, great, if not, then that's fine too. I would never make him wear anything he didn't want to.

I agree that if they aren't wearing a ring to try to pick someone up, then that would be wrong. If BF doesn't want to wear it then so what, IMO.
    friends tv show funy
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_were-topic-of-royal-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:c15b9e85-8297-4c83-9aec-c173883ecf0aPost:59c22beb-6312-4955-8167-f492b0906df4">Re: While we're on the topic of the royal wedding....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think people will know that the Prince is married. . . unless they live under a rock.

This is what I was going to say! If the concern is infidelity...I don't think a ring keeps anyone who wants to cheat from doing so. I would hope that my future husband and I wear our rings regularly...but only because of their special meaning to us, not because I want it to mean "hands off" to someone else.

Why are we worrying about this anyway???
  • cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    My dad didn't start wearing his wedding ring until a couple years ago. Apparently he lost his first two wedding rings (the second while on a boat while my mother was water-skiing off the back) so they decided not to keep buying them. 

Then a couple years ago my mother finally let my dad upgrade her diamond, so he got a wedding band at the same time. I have to say, I never noticed it much on my dad, but I saw my parents together every day, so I knew they were married. I realize it's an outward symbol of the commitment, but I am glad that BFwants to wear his ring every day.

I also really like what the priest that Calindi mentioned did. What a great lesson to learn right at the beginning of a marriage. I hope ours does that so I don't freak out about the first time I have to take my e-ring off.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• CASK85CASK85 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_were-topic-of-royal-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c15b9e85-8297-4c83-9aec-c173883ecf0aPost:7b292282-6534-4ba8-98fb-2062a9fcbadb">Re: While we're on the topic of the royal wedding....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: While we're on the topic of the royal wedding.... : What prince?
    Posted by AudgiePodge[/QUOTE]
    Prince Eric from The Little Mermaid, duh!
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_were-topic-of-royal-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c15b9e85-8297-4c83-9aec-c173883ecf0aPost:3964400b-9c12-4ff4-a960-cbe79d8d0158">Re: While we're on the topic of the royal wedding....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: While we're on the topic of the royal wedding.... : Prince Eric from The Little Mermaid, duh!
    I knew I didn't live under a rock!

• CASK85CASK85 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_were-topic-of-royal-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c15b9e85-8297-4c83-9aec-c173883ecf0aPost:3ae3f16b-4ff1-4f1e-9a67-fe71780f2069">Re: While we're on the topic of the royal wedding....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: While we're on the topic of the royal wedding.... : I knew I didn't live under a rock!
    Posted by AudgiePodge[/QUOTE]
    your mom lives under a rock.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_were-topic-of-royal-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:c15b9e85-8297-4c83-9aec-c173883ecf0aPost:ef4b5667-4c56-43a9-b1cc-207bf0ae70a6">Re: While we're on the topic of the royal wedding....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: While we're on the topic of the royal wedding.... : your mom lives under a rock.
    pffft<div>
    </div><div>My mom lives under a rock with your mom.</div>

• edited December 2011
    If I am not mistaken men wearing wedding bands it a pretty new tradition. I believe that it really started to catch on during WWII when men would wear them when they went over seas for the war. Before WWII I do not think they were all that common. Prince William could just want to follow an older tradition rather than a newer one.

That said, I would want FI to wear his ring (with the exception of times where he can not) mostly because it was kind expensive. I would have hated to have wasted that money on something he wouldn't wear. We got him a more expensive band since he will be wearing it after the wedding. If he didn't want to wear one after the wedding we would have gotten him a cheaper one.
  • heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_were-topic-of-royal-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:c15b9e85-8297-4c83-9aec-c173883ecf0aPost:2e87076e-f559-4791-9d70-2cd218db96dc">Re: While we're on the topic of the royal wedding....</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>If I am not mistaken men wearing wedding bands it a pretty new tradition. I believe that it really started to catch on during WWII when men would wear them when they went over seas for the war. Before WWII I do not think they were all that common. Prince William could just want to follow an older tradition rather than a newer one.</strong> That said, I would want FI to wear his ring (with the exception of times where he can not) mostly because it was kind expensive. I would have hated to have wasted that money on something he wouldn't wear. We got him a more expensive band since he will be wearing it after the wedding. If he didn't want to wear one after the wedding we would have gotten him a cheaper one.
    Posted by skyler1108[/QUOTE]

Skyler, that's really interesting and that would make sense since the royal family does tend to follow older traditions than these new "modern" ones. Same reason they tend to give sapphire engagement rings rather than diamond, sapphires are an older tradition.
  • edited December 2011
    Bren- Exactly. I wish I could remember where I heard that about the men's wedding rings but it is slipping my mind at the moment. I think it is really interesting as well because before I heard it I thought men always wore wedding bands.
  • DanieKADanieKA member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like a couple of other posters, my dad wore/wears his ring off and on. Like, he'll put it on for church and Christmas, like a fancy sweater, but it's just not a part of his everyday life. I don't remember my mom ever wearing her engagement ring before her giant upgrade several years ago (I saw her original engagement ring a few years ago for the first time). She does wear the upgraded one every day. 

Honestly, I wouldn't care if BF wore his ring on a regular basis. The ring won't make him not cheat if that's what's going to happen (Which it better not!). It might deter a woman with principles about not dating/sleeping with married men, but for every 1 woman that would turn away, I'm sure there's another who wouldn't be as diligent, regardless of someone wearing a ring or not. 

And I think my perception is colored by the fact that my dad never wore his regularly and it never bothered my mom. They've got 41 years and counting...so I guess the ring didn't count that much. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards