Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Need some help, lots of questions!

Ok so this is kind of embarrassing I need help with how the whole ceremony process plays out. I have only been to 1 wedding in my life and let me tell you... It was a disaster. So I am unsure on how everything works.

1.) I feel like I have heard traditionally the bride’s mother is the last to sit before the ceremony. Does the same go for the grooms mom? And is this part of the ceremony itself or is it just subtle right before the ceremony music starts?

2.) we have a 2 year old flower girl and our almost 2 year old son as the ring bearer. Any tips on how we can successfully get them down the aisle?

3.) we are doing a wine box ceremony in place of sand or candle lighting. When does this happen in the ceremony?

4.) Who reads the ceremony readings? I am confused on this one I thought the officiate did all the reading?  But on the knot check list it mentions reaching out to all who will do readings. What does that mean? Do family and friends come up during the ceremony and read verses?

5.) When does the receiving line happen?  
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need some help, lots of questions!

• 1. Traditionally, the penultimate guest seated is the groom's mother. The last guest seated is the bride's mother. It's technically not part of the ceremony. Most people do a subtle change in the prelude music for this.
    2. There's lots of advice out there, on the main theknot site, and it books. What I've seen work is to have someone they know at the end of the aisle, or have them walk down the aisle holding an adult's hand.
    3. Can't help you.
    4. Can't help you, really. We're having a very traditional Mass, so all our readings must be by the Priests. Other people, even people having a Mass in a different Rite, make other arrangements.
    5. Traditionally, there was no break between ceremony and reception. The bridal party recessed from the altar, went straight to the reception site, and set up the receiving line. The guests knew to linger a bit at the ceremony site. Now, receiving lines may happen at the ceremony site right after the ceremony, or between cocktail hour and dinner at the reception site, if they're in 2 different rooms. Or there's no receiving line. Or the bride and groom do a mini-receiving line during the reception. They may stand by the buffet, or where cake is served, or by the bar.
  • edited February 2012
    1. PP is right about having the grooms mother seated and then the bride's mother. This can be done after everyone else is seated and quieted with a change of music if you want.

2.  You'll need to practice this at your rehearsal. Explain to them what to do and hope and pray they follow instructions. You should have your FG's mother standing by just in case to help them get down.

3. Your officiant can help you decide where in the ceremony to have your unity ceremony. Sometimes it's after you've said your vows, other times it's before.

4.  You can ask anyone important to you to read something special. A poem or a Bible verse or something they've written just for you. Again, check with your officiant as to when this happens in your ceremony. If there is someone you want to include but don't want them to be "in" the bridal party, having them read is a good option.

5. The receiving line (if you're doing one) is typically done immediately following the ceremony as guests are leaving the church. That is when they would usually wait outside until the bride and groom make their big departure with bubbles or birdseed or sparklers or whatever. We are not doing a receiving line (mostly because I hate them) and are going to make our rounds to each table at the reception to say hello and thank you to our guests.

I hope this helps! Good luck!
    178 Are Invited
    image 126 Are ready to Par-tay!!image 52 Are party poopers.image 0 Can't find the mailbox.image
    RSVP Date April 14
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning/wedding-ceremony.aspx

Scroll down to the articles and explore. I was in a similar boat, but I have a hondle on it now. Good luck!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • For children, I think having someone at the front and rear of the church they love and trust would help.

So at the back of the church favorite auntie says, "Okay honey, walk to grandma!" and grandma is waiting to receive them as they get to the front of the aisle.  At two years old they probably can't stand still for the whole ceremony, so sitting in the front row might be easier for them.
  • 1.  After all the guests are seated the grandparents, mother (and father) of the groom get seated and then the mother (and father...depending on whether he is walking you up the aisle) get seated.  This signifies to the guests that the wedding processional is about to begin. The next to walk up the aisle are your bridesmaids.  You can have specific music for the grandparents/parents to walk down the aisle to, or just whatever the pianist is playing.

2.  Two is pretty young for children to walk the aisle alone. Be prepared that they might not do it and be prepared for an alternative.  When my step-daughters were 2 & 4 they were flower girls in a wedding.  They refused to walk up the aisle so my hubby became the third flower girl and walked with them... very cute :)   Maybe have the maid of honour walk with them?  Or... is there another young(er) girl you know who can walk them up the aisle? We did this for our wedding. My two nieces ages 9 & 11 became jr bridesmaids whose main purpose was to walk in with our 4 young flowergirls.  They wore very different dresses than the flowergirls and carried a mini bouquet but were available to hold the hands of any scared little one.

3.  This could go wherever you want it... probably  after the vows but before the pronouncement of marriage?  I'd ask your officiant.

4. Unless you're doing a Catholic mass, readings can be read by anyone you want... friend, relative, parent etc.   Yes, the readers just walk up to the front (usually a microphone is set up front but off to the side so you and the wedding party don't move) and do their reading at the appointed time.  (make sure they know that their reading is immediately after the prayer for example so they know when to get into place)
    84image 73image 11image Wedding date: June 11, 2011 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards