Not Engaged Yet
Options

Root Canals

So, last night I went in for my first root canal.  Between online resources and multiple dentists, everything said it shouldn't hurt more than a filling, so I figured it wouldn't be too bad.  One co-worker mentioned that, while the procedure didn't hurt, he was "sore" for a couple days...  Right now (and all last night) I'm in more pain than what it had been when infected and nothing is working; 800mg of ibuprofen is barely dulling the pain.  Anyone have any advice on how to deal with this?  I have a goose-egg in my mouth around where the nerve was sitting *sigh*

Re: Root Canals

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Since they literally remove the root (nerve endings) during a root canal, you really shouldn't be experiencing a ton of pain. I would call your dentist and ask if there is anything they can recommend or prescribe. Sorry you're in so much pain! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's more my gums hurting (centered around that tooth) than anything.  I might have to call - they just said take 800mg of ibuprofen if you have some soreness though (on their after-care sheet).
  • Options
    AudgiePodgeAudgiePodge member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My ExH had a root canal. He was in so much pain. He was prescribed something, but I don't remember what it was. Ditto PP. call and see if there is anything you can take to help with the pain.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• Options
    SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    That really really sucks, I'm sorry you're in so much pain :(

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've had a root canal before, but I was 7 so I can't remember the pain at all.  My mom did just have one and mentioned that right after the freezing wore off she felt like someone had kicked her in the mouth.  She called them and they gave her a prescription for pain meds since it was so bad.

Feel better!!  The little I do remember from that procedure was that it was not fun.  For anyone who is curious as to why a 7 year old had a root canal - I knocked out most of my two front teeth on a coffee table, one so bad that a root canal was needed.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I'd call your dentist. I don't think you should be in that much pain, and even if there isn't anything else going on, they should be able to give you something a little stronger for the pain.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone :) Called the dentist and, while it took 2 hours before they got back to me, they put me on vicofen (vicoden-ibuprofen mix).  It's helped a lot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards