Not Engaged Yet

Wedding no-no's or mess ups?

Has anyone you know been a complete etiquette fail, or had any mess ups with their wedding? Post your examples below

I'll start.

BF's cousin is getting married this year and his bride to be and himself have done a few rude things or mess ups:

On their rehearsal dinner invites they messed up the time and wrote
6:20 O'clock

On their invites they didn't include postage for their RSVP cards.

They weren't going to invite me [BF is in the wedding party] or the grooms brothers FI. Don't really know why but at first they didn't want us there. [?]

Bride dicatated her entire bridal shower, including the guest list etc. Her FMIL was very irratated with her

They went to each family member and told them what they had to pay for and how much it was.

They're having a VERY formal wedding, and the reception is a *luau

So anyone else know people like these?

Edit/
The bride and groom also had a fit because the grooms brother is getting married the same year 3 months after them. [ the only reason they're getting married this year is because his FI's sister is in the navy and this is the only year she knows she'll be able to come home]

Re: Wedding no-no's or mess ups?

• loopy82loopy82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • loopy82loopy82 member
    edited December 2011
    My mother was trying to insist that I put where we are registered on the invitation. I did not and printed them off to get her to shut up about it. She still thinks I need to list is somehow in the invite. I better get them out of the house before she starts writing on them. 

She also thinks that the invites should be mailed out about 4 weeks before the wedding (because that is what they did in 1980 - they also didn't have RSVP cards either.)

Other than that I can't think of anything off hand right now.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011

Yes! Thats what I meant loopy, I tried to google the correct spelling but it gave me lou out as an answer... So yes *luau

And I forgot ALL about that part. She had a registry thing in with her invites also! She has a wedding website so I think she should have just listed that, because on her site it has the info for the registry.. Would've been much classier

• loopy82loopy82 member
    edited December 2011
    On our information sheet I listed our website and on our website it has where we are registered.
  • edited December 2011
    The only thing I can think of that bothered me was last May I was in a friend's wedding. She was not a pain in butt bride, but very laid back and good about things. But, we did manis and pedis the day before the wedding and then went to a BYO for lunch. There were probably 4 of her 8 bridesmaids present at the lunch. We payed for the wine that we brought and we paid for  our lunch and her lunch. It would have been nice for her to treat us after all we had done. We didn't get much of a gift, a tote bag and a dumb pink tank top with Bridesmaid in rhinestones. A lunch would have been nice...That's my rant!
  • edited December 2011
    My cousin is getting married in July and there have been many crazy things like several venue changes and city changes. The most recent though is his FI made a facebook group to invite people and it's one where guests can invite others. She put in the group to pass the word and all are invited. The wedding is at a County park in a pavilion but they kind of do need a head count for the caterer I would assume. Oh and I'm not invited through the facebook group.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • paintgirlpaintgirl member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    PhilliesPhan - No kidding! Bridesmaids can do a TON of work and even if the bride isn't very demanding, they've got the financial investment of dress, shoes, and other crap. I can see not being able to pay for everyone's feet and fingers but come on! If she can't afford lunch for 4, her bridal party was too big. :)
  • loopy82loopy82 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wedding-nos-mess-ups?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:fb0083c5-d437-453b-abd4-719b16aaabb3Post:8b3937d5-966b-4043-9d4a-f580f562a006">Re: Wedding no-no's or mess ups?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My cousin is getting married in July and there have been many crazy things like several venue changes and city changes. The most recent though is his FI made a facebook group to invite people and it's one where guests can invite others. She put in the group to pass the word and all are invited. The wedding is at a County park in a pavilion but they kind of do need a head count for the caterer I would assume. Oh and I'm not invited through the facebook group.
    Posted by KD+BC[/QUOTE]

Is this the cousin who is marrying your ex-friend who is a major biotch? Are you not invited to the wedding in general? Or do you not know that yet?
  • edited December 2011
    Paint: She and her now DH didn't even pay for the wedding - both sets of parents did. I left that out... Thanks for commiserating :)
  • edited December 2011
    White-out written over with pencil on the invitations.  I felt bad, because I know budget is an issue for her, and she had to change her date suddenly, but it sort of made my skin crawl.
  • edited December 2011
    I've already complained about this once, but I'll put it here too.

A girl I am more than acquaintances, less than bffs with is getting married.  She has registered at 5 different places (for very expensive items, I might add) and has plastered them all over her facebook asking people to buy them stuff.. before she sent out the invitations.

She did an open facebook group asking for addresses for the invitations, and I was not included (I am not invited to the wedding. Understandable.).  however, I was invited to the pot luck bachelorette/wedding shower she threw for herself.

She's also having a potluck reception.
    Anniversary
  • loopy82loopy82 member
    edited December 2011
    A potluck reception. Now that is something I don't think I have heard of.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_wedding-nos-mess-ups?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:fb0083c5-d437-453b-abd4-719b16aaabb3Post:24e1f31f-eb70-42d4-a59a-0f4bf4245790">Re: Wedding no-no's or mess ups?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding no-no's or mess ups? : Is this the cousin who is marrying your ex-friend who is a major biotch? Are you not invited to the wedding in general? Or do you not know that yet?
    Posted by loopy82[/QUOTE]

Yup, same one. I'm invited to the shower in two weeks so I would assume I'm invited but with this one, I wouldn't be surprised.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • meamollymeamolly member
    edited December 2011
    I have a relation that wore black bra and undies with her dress. The bra stuck out from the dress she never had fitted. We had to pay for drinks at the reception and iI mean soda and water. The food was served from the flimsy tin pans the caterers left. She went out back to smoke meth at one point. She had a cake fight with her wedding party. I should tell you I only went cause we knew it would be quite the show Smile
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Even sides... a few weddings I know are like that, (1 I'll be going to within the year)... the brides getting their fiance to switch up his groomsmen based on how many bridesmaids she'll have so the sides will be even.

• strlzfan11strlzfan11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

I am a long-time lurker, but this thread made me really want to share about the crap my sister pulled at her wedding.

They got engaged Christmas Eve and spent the entire day with his family without even bothering to call our parents to tell them.  When it was suggested that she call her only living grandparent to tell him her good news her reply was "well, you're going to see him tomorrow so you can just tell him then."

Fastforward about a year to the actual wedding planning (they were engaged about 18 months total).  She planned her entire shower right down to which bridesmaid would be responsible for for games, favors, decorations, you name it and then proceeded to tell us what she wanted (Yankee candles for favors).  The guest list was about 100 people and she picked a date without even consulting the OOT BMs for a list of potential dates.

The RD was interesting.  No introductions (I'd never met her FILs except for a passing moment at the funeral home when our grandma died 3 years prior), no speeches, no nothing.  We just showed up at the dinner, ate, and left.

Let's just say I learned what NOT to do when it's my turn (whenever that day comes).

• edited December 2011
    More of an "oops" than a faux-pas: When my aunt was getting married, all the groomsmen had bowties but nobody knew how to tie them!  Fortunately the ushers had clip-ons so the groom and the best man got those, and my sister had to go around tying everyone else's because she was the only one who could figure it out.

The best man at my cousin's wedding forgot his pants so they found a guest in his size who was wearing black pants and took his.

The Jagermeister Curse: I know two brides and grooms who ran into their wedding receptions sloshed from their limo ride proudly holding bottles of Jager over their heads, both couples are now divorced, draw your own conclusions.

ETA: Another cousin's bridal registry (from one store, she had multiples) was 40 pages long; one of her registries from another store included a Wii.  Her MoH also passed around a jar for people to chip in for the honeymoon at the shower because "they [didn't] have two dimes to rub together."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards