Not Engaged Yet

What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say?

If you watched Glee this week you know what I'm talking about.

I love the idea of putting your biggest issue with yourself on a t-shirt and displaying it to the world...  owning it, instead of hiding it.

I think my t-shirt would say "Itchy."  I have a whole host of skin allergies, plus I've developed psoriasis (I know, gross) on a couple of my fingertips.  It's been a major confidence issue for me.  When I was in college, the exzema on my hands was so bad that I wore long sleeves (even in South Louisiana) so that I could hide my hands inside them.  When I was in elementary school, kids wouldn't sit next to be on the bus because they thought I had chicken pox, when really I just had a bunch of allergic rashes.  It's mostly under control now, but I still have periods of a couple weeks to a month where I won't wear shorts or a skirt because the backs of my knees have broken out, and I'm afraid of trying on a strapless wedding dress because there's a spot on my shoulder that just.won't.heal.

It actually felt kinda good to unload that.  Your turn.  What would be on your shirt?

Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say?

• peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Off topic - I recently discovered that the genes for psoriasis and for celiac are pretty close together, meaning that generally, if you have one you're at a higher risk for the other.  On my mom's side, all the women have celiac.  On my dad's - he and his mom have psoriasis.  Every time I start to get a rash now, I worry that the psoriasis is coming to get me too.

Back on topic...
    Mine would have to say "Terrified".  Seriously, I'm scared of everything right now.  Not in the physical sense, I mean, yes, I'm afraid of the dark.  There, I said it.  But, in the looking ahead sense.  I've always been afraid of the next step, but most people don't know it.  I've learned to hide it well.  I tell everyone I'm incredibly ready to graduate, to get married, to have a life outside of this, whatever this is.  But on the inside, I'm scared out of my mind.  What if grad school doesn't work out?  What if I can't get a job?  What if I make a bad wife or a bad mother?  What if I can't pay my bills?  My student loans?  What if I have to live with my parents the rest of my life?  All of that stuff keeps me up at night.  I don't know how to deal with it, other than to try to forget about it, but seriously, it scares the bejeezus out of me.

ETA: Elle, my dad wore pants for most of my life, no matter what the weather was (we're talking dark jeans in the middle of a southern east coast summer..) because he was so embarrassed by the sores on 95% of his body from the psoriasis.  If you want to talk about it, email me.  :)  You're gorgeous.  <3
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Elle, I feel ya on the psoriasis (and general skin issues, frankly.)  Mine stays contained in my scalp, but it still stinks.  And then I have some other really ghastly skin issues in my more private areas.  I'm not a big fan, but they make me SO selective about who sees me naked.  So I mean, frankly, they were excellent birth control.  But I'm scarred ridiculously.  I'm not really cool with that, honestly.

I was also born with a huge desire to learn.  Because this makes me a nerd, I just want to say that being a nerd is a-ok with me.  And I really want all my future children to be nerds too, haha.  I am going to hope my skin issues aren't genetic though - there is SOME proof they are, but it's kinda weak proof.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    Aw, Blue, I'm sorry you have to deal with this, too.  The psoriasis is a relatively recent (last couple of years) development for me, and it's confined to the tips of a couple of my fingers for now.  Suckily, it's worst on the ring finger of my left hand, which is the only finger that's regularly decorated.  It's so bad it's caused me to lose about half of my nail bed, but I don't feel like it's bad enough to warrant a dermatologist visit.  Hmmm.

Peek - I never knew about the link between Celiac and psoriasis.  That's so interesting.  I have some food allergies, too, but nothing related to gluten so far.
  • edited December 2011
    My shirt would say "hair"... I have several hair issues, being that it is naturally black so all "excess" hair on my body is super noticeable and the hair on my head is frizzy and started going grey when I was just 17... I can't even use box dye anymore the grey is so bad!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    edited December 2011
    Elle, I'm sending you an email anyways. :)
    I french with my man
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-born-this-way-t-shirt-say?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:fdd82684-0f52-4db1-901e-98b3f959e631Post:a2b938da-7432-40dc-bb82-ab5074913ebc">Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Off topic - I recently discovered that the genes for psoriasis and for celiac are pretty close together, meaning that generally, if you have one you're at a higher risk for the other.  On my mom's side, all the women have celiac.  On my dad's - he and his mom have psoriasis.  Every time I start to get a rash now, I worry that the psoriasis is coming to get me too. Back on topic... Mine would have to say "Terrified".  Seriously, I'm scared of everything right now.  Not in the physical sense, I mean, yes, I'm afraid of the dark.  There, I said it.  But, in the looking ahead sense.  I've always been afraid of the next step, but most people don't know it.  I've learned to hide it well.  I tell everyone I'm incredibly ready to graduate, to get married, to have a life outside of this, whatever this is.  But on the inside, I'm scared out of my mind.  What if grad school doesn't work out?  What if I can't get a job?  What if I make a bad wife or a bad mother?  What if I can't p
    ay my bills?  My student loans?  What if I have to live with my parents the rest of my life?  All of that stuff keeps me up at night.  I don't know how to deal with it, other than to try to forget about it, but seriously, it scares the bejeezus out of me. <strong>ETA: Elle, my dad wore pants for most of my life, no matter what the weather was (we're talking dark jeans in the middle of a southern east coast summer..) because he was so embarrassed by the sores on 95% of his body from the psoriasis.  If you want to talk about it, email me.  :)  You're gorgeous.  <3</strong>
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

Awww, Peek, I just noticed this addition and I teared up reading it.  Thanks for getting it. 

ETA:  Yes, do email me!
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-born-this-way-t-shirt-say?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:fdd82684-0f52-4db1-901e-98b3f959e631Post:454f66a0-5fd8-4acc-9f9a-ffb24fe62f3a">Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say? : Awww, Peek, I just noticed this addition and I teared up reading it.  Thanks for getting it.  ETA:  Yes, do email me!
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

<div>I didn't want you to think I was some crazy person with no idea as to what I was saying.  He's all better now though.  Been wearing shorts for about 4 years :)</div><div>
    </div><div>And you have an email</div>
    I french with my man
  • edited December 2011
    How interesting. I actually have a form of Psoriasis. It's called guttate psoriasis. It only shows its ugly head when i have an infection like strep. Its not nearly as bad as what you guys have experience with, but I do understand what you mean.

Mine would probably say control issues. I've noticed in the past two years that I get seriously frustrated if everything is not "perfect". Its honestly very overwhelming when... say the house is a mess. I honestly can't relax until everything is perfectly clean and pristine again. Even my notes at school, if they're uneven, or i run out of ink in a blue pen and all i have is black pens...I will rewrite my entire page so it will all be black.

I think its borderline OCD. That's my biggest insecurity. Sometimes people make fun...but it honestly makes me feel better when everything is clean and put away and there is no clutter. 

I probably shouldn't have kids...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Liv - My sister has something similar, it has really done a number on her self esteem. She constantly wears layers even during mid summer because she is so embarassed by it. I think the clinical strength is helping her somewhat though.

Abigial - I understand what you mean about control. There are a lot of things I don't care about, but when I do...watch out. I was laughed at the entire Easter weekend because of my wedding binder. It was so frsutrating because if I wasn't orgnaized I'd be criticized as well.
  • LizzyTish88LizzyTish88 member
    edited December 2011
    I don't know what word mine would say, but lately I have had a huge personal issue with my own body image. When I am not looking in the mirror, I see myself as skinny. My own mental image of myself in my head is skinny. I will plan outfits, and think I look good because of my mental image of myself, and then I look in the mirror and I'm disgusted.

I think this is the problem that is making it so difficult to lose weight. My own mental image doesn't need to lose weight so in my mind, I look great. I can sometimes look down and feel good about myself, until I can actually see what I look like in real life. It's becoming a struggle because I want to look like that but can't find the right motivation because of my own mental image.

I'm not sure if any of this makes sense, and I apologize if I am babbling, but I'm finally starting to see it as a problem.
    friends tv show funy
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-born-this-way-t-shirt-say?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:fdd82684-0f52-4db1-901e-98b3f959e631Post:70fe8257-4561-4e37-bd5e-c972779d7bf7">Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My shirt would say "sweaty." I know, eew. My underarms excessively sweat, and it doesn't appear to be from any medical condition or anything. It's been this way basically since I hit puberty. It doesn't smell or anything, it's just...wet. I find myself planning outfits around what I think will hide sweat marks best, and forgoing certain types of tops altogether because I know with the way they fit they don't stand a chance of not getting wet quickly. It happens in all seasons, all weather. It's really embarrassing. I use clinical strength antiperspirant and that doesn't do too much. My doctor said that botox injections have been approved to help stop excessive sweating, but insurance won't pay for it. I'm seriously considering it, because it makes me that uncomfortable. I just feel like I live my life being self conscious about my underarms.
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

Awww, sorry Liv.  My brother has a similar problem.  He moved away from the South almost specifically to find a place where he won't sweat as much.  I would look into the botox more if I were you!
    edited December 2011
    Chris - I think your mental image is more accurate than your mirror.  You are beautiful.  I'm so serious.
  • desertsundesertsun member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-born-this-way-t-shirt-say?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:fdd82684-0f52-4db1-901e-98b3f959e631Post:a2b938da-7432-40dc-bb82-ab5074913ebc">Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say?</a>:
    [QUOTE] Seriously, I'm scared of everything right now.  Not in the physical sense, I mean, yes, I'm afraid of the dark.  There, I said it.
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

Are you Canadian?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-born-this-way-t-shirt-say?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:fdd82684-0f52-4db1-901e-98b3f959e631Post:186d36f0-522d-45d5-a06a-887888ad697c">Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Chris - I think your mental image is more accurate than your mirror.  You are beautiful.  I'm so serious.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

Aw, thank you. <3

It is just becoming an issue. I am starting to think it is like a reverse eating disorder. Is that even possible?

ETA: You are all beautiful woman. I have never met anyone like you ladies and I am very thankful for that everyday.
    friends tv show funy
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-born-this-way-t-shirt-say?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:fdd82684-0f52-4db1-901e-98b3f959e631Post:56cf8ee8-fc75-4126-9226-07627f707877">Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say? : Aw, thank you. <3 It is just becoming an issue. I am starting to think it is like a reverse eating disorder. Is that even possible? ETA: You are all beautiful woman. I have never met anyone like you ladies and I am very thankful for that everyday.
    Posted by cdechristopher[/QUOTE]

I don't think you even have to call it a "reverse" eating disorder.  Any warped perceptions of your body and disfuntional relationships with food, no matter which way they go, are indicative of an eating disorder. 

What do you feel like when you see pictures of yourself?
  • edited December 2011
    Liv, I know a doctor who does botox. He's friends with a family friend of mine, and whenever his botox is about to expire or he needs to use the rest of a bottle he opened for a paying customer. He gives it to her usually free but sometimes just at a discounted rate. 
    He's going to lose money anyways because he'll have to just throw it away! 

Maybe talk to some doctors, tell them your story? Considering the area I feel like it would be easier to negotiate this. 
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-born-this-way-t-shirt-say?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:fdd82684-0f52-4db1-901e-98b3f959e631Post:4841d099-9ab6-428f-af50-9bdd134dcd14">Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say? : I don't think you even have to call it a "reverse" eating disorder.  Any warped perceptions of your body and disfuntional relationships with food, no matter which way they go, are indicative of an eating disorder.  <strong>What do you feel like when you see pictures of yourself?
    </strong>Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

I feel awful. I hate pictures of myself. I try to pose or shape my body to look better and I usually fail. If you look at my FB all the pics are old. If people tag me and I don't like it, I take it down. I also go through them all the time and delete ones I don't like.

I am going out with my friend tonight to a bar. We went to this same place last Friday and ended up leaving early because I caught a look at myself in the mirror and did not feel comfortable at all for the rest of the night. I knew I looked awful, and she is like a size 2 model. I'm like the fat friend some shallow girls bring to make themselves look better. So tonight I am either going to drink so that I don't care, or avoid the mirror at all costs.
    friends tv show funy
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-born-this-way-t-shirt-say?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:fdd82684-0f52-4db1-901e-98b3f959e631Post:12cae714-a31c-4dda-a067-2e958aad8e86">Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Liv - My sister has something similar, it has really done a number on her self esteem. She constantly wears layers even during mid summer because she is so embarassed by it. I think the clinical strength is helping her somewhat though. <strong>Abigial - I understand what you mean about control. There are a lot of things I don't care about, but when I do...watch out. I was laughed at the entire Easter weekend because of my wedding binder. It was so frsutrating because if I wasn't orgnaized I'd be criticized as well.</strong>
    Posted by Hazel_B[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Yeah. Sometimes people will put things out of place just because they know it irks me... I have often contemplated just letting it go, but your right they will criticize either way, and I'll feel better about it ultimately if it's organized and clean. :)</div>
  • Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had psoriasis when I was younger.  I was told (old wives tale) that it skips a generation, so I got it from my grandfather.  We would try out new creams and stuff and recommend them to each other.
    I had it on my knees, ankles and elbows, just where the joint sticks out and skin stretches.  It was really weird.

I actually grew out of it around 19-20.  The scars are almost gone, too.  It sucked.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-born-this-way-t-shirt-say?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:fdd82684-0f52-4db1-901e-98b3f959e631Post:8c37c605-e38b-4cb3-b2c5-3d3f05826cbe">Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say? : I feel awful. I hate pictures of myself. I try to pose or shape my body to look better and I usually fail. If you look at my FB all the pics are old. If people tag me and I don't like it, I take it down. I also go through them all the time and delete ones I don't like. I am going out with my friend tonight to a bar. We went to this same place last Friday and ended up leaving early because I caught a look at myself in the mirror and did not feel comfortable at all for the rest of the night. I knew I looked awful, and she is like a size 2 model. I'm like the fat friend some shallow girls bring to make themselves look better. So tonight I am either going to drink so that I don't care, or avoid the mirror at all costs.
    Posted by cdechristopher[/QUOTE]

Do you exercise regularly?  I find that, even when it doesn't really affect my body at all, I always <em>feel</em> better about myself when I'm in better shape.  (Again, ignore me if this is unsolicited advice).

For my part, I always feel like I am happy with what I see in the mirror, but when I see pictures of myself, I cringe.  I don't think I look like the same person.  It's weird.
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-born-this-way-t-shirt-say?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:fdd82684-0f52-4db1-901e-98b3f959e631Post:6d7bafd3-57cb-4bae-ad22-62b72e1aecb8">Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say? : Are you Canadian?
    Posted by desertsun[/QUOTE]

Ummm, did I miss something here?
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-born-this-way-t-shirt-say?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:fdd82684-0f52-4db1-901e-98b3f959e631Post:d86c50c6-d099-4849-aedf-cb1ead645421">Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say? : Ummm, did I miss something here?

<a href="http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=7807422276&topic=6324" rel='nofollow'>http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=7807422276&topic=6324</a>

Come on Hazel, you know it's true...
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-born-this-way-t-shirt-say?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:fdd82684-0f52-4db1-901e-98b3f959e631Post:6d7bafd3-57cb-4bae-ad22-62b72e1aecb8">Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say? : Are you Canadian?

<div>Nope.  I'm from California.</div><div>
    </div><div>[QUOTE] ETA: You are all beautiful women.  I have never met anyone like you ladies and I am very thankful for that everyday."</div><div>Posted by cdechristopher[/QUOTE]
    </div><div>
    </div><div>I totally missed the anyone and started to get offended.  I need sleep.</div><div>
    </div><div>But, I <3 you.  And I have to agree, everyone around here keeps me sane.  All of you are amazing women, and I'm very fortunate to have you all in my life.</div>
    I french with my man
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ah, that makes more sense.

I grew up in a rural area, no way I'm scared of the dark :)
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-born-this-way-t-shirt-say?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:fdd82684-0f52-4db1-901e-98b3f959e631Post:d86c50c6-d099-4849-aedf-cb1ead645421">Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say? : Ummm, did I miss something here?

Sorry, it's a How I Met Your Mother joke. I meant to explain, but got busy at work.

Y'all know I love me some Canadians! <3

edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-born-this-way-t-shirt-say?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:fdd82684-0f52-4db1-901e-98b3f959e631Post:70fe8257-4561-4e37-bd5e-c972779d7bf7">Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My shirt would say "sweaty." I know, eew. My underarms excessively sweat, and it doesn't appear to be from any medical condition or anything. It's been this way basically since I hit puberty. It doesn't smell or anything, it's just...wet. I find myself planning outfits around what I think will hide sweat marks best, and forgoing certain types of tops altogether because I know with the way they fit they don't stand a chance of not getting wet quickly. It happens in all seasons, all weather. It's really embarrassing. I use clinical strength antiperspirant and that doesn't do too much. My doctor said that botox injections have been approved to help stop excessive sweating, but insurance won't pay for it. I'm seriously considering it, because it makes me that uncomfortable. I just feel like I live my life being self conscious about my underarms.
    Posted by LivLeighton[/QUOTE]

Have you tried Certain Dri? I can find it at Walgreens or even Target now. It's been a miracle for me.

• ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think mine would say Insecurity.  I am really really insecure.  I feel like I do nothing right.  I have lots of self esteem issues.  I don't think I am pretty or smart.  Even if people tell me I don't believe them (drives BF nuts).  Even though I get good grades I am lazy.  I just feel like a bad person.  I am selfish and I try not to be but I am, a lot.  I wonder why people like me because I am loud and obnoxious and attention seeking.  Even writing this post makes me think hmmm I am being attention seeking again.  I am afraid of the future and all the changes that will be made (I really don't like the idea of change).  I am afraid I am a bad GF and will be a bad wife and mother someday.  I worry about what the future holds and how I will do things.  I worry about getting jobs because I don't see any hirable qualities in myself.  I guess my shirt should say destructive thinking.
    For all those with Skin problems I am sorry.  I could see how that would be a pain.  I think you are all beautiful!
    Cde- You are so beautiful.  I always love your pictures.  I don't really have an advice because I have self image problems too but just remember you are beautiful. :)<3

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-born-this-way-t-shirt-say?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:fdd82684-0f52-4db1-901e-98b3f959e631Post:1a13b625-eba1-462a-b1d4-5d41e615065f">Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What would your "Born This Way" t-shirt say? : Sorry, it's a How I Met Your Mother joke. I meant to explain, but got busy at work. Y'all know I love me some Canadians! <3

No worries :) It makes sense now, I was just confused....which happens all the time.
  • sparkles88sparkles88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine would say "nose."  My nose is kind of big. It's big enough to stand out and be noticeable, but I still have the smallest nose out of my immediate family. I was teased about it a fair amount in high school, so I'm still kind of touchy about it. Also, I apparently have a very Jewish sounding last name, although I do not follow the Jewish religion. People will constantly assume I have a "Jew nose," based on my last name. But my nose comes from my mom's side of the family, which has no Jewish heritage.  I just get annoyed by people making assumptions based on a name and bodily features.
  • csousa1csousa1 member
    edited December 2011
    Cde I had a whole thing written out and it got deleted :( Basically, though, I feel the exact same way. BF is gorgeous, like truly gorgeous, and I always think people must look at us and wonder why he is with me. All of his female friends or friends GFs are tiny and beautiful, and I feel like the fat dork that was accidentally invited to the party. If for any reason BF doesn't mention I look cute in a new outfit or isn't "in the mood", I think it must be because I am too gross for him to look at. I know that his is completely not true, and that he thinks I'm beautiful and is happy with me the way I am, but I can't help the thought flitting across my mind in the moment of insecurity. Sometimes in my head I see myself as thinner than I am, and when I catch a glimpse of a chub in the mirror my mood is ruined.

Since I started working out regularly in about mid-Feb, it has helped. I haven't been losing it as fast as I hoped, and I won't reach my goal by the wedding I have to go to this summer where I feel the need to impress people, bt it still helps. Now I feel like I am taking control of my body and my body image, instead of the other way around.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards